Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:11 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Telstra batteries - again

domwild
Guru

Posted: 11:32pm 25 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have complained about it before and do not wish to let it sleep. It is impossible to buy ex-Telstra batteries at places like Sims Metal. They rather send pallets of batteries to China.

These batteries are from exchanges and are changed every ten or so years. They have never been off float and have another ten years life in them. For us enthusiasts!

When I previously complained about this, on this forum and Fieldlines, one member explained the reason for this harebrained scheme is the "fact" that these batteries are marked with a "Telstra" logo and were found dumped in the bush and then people complained to Telstra about it.

Now the question to members who have seen these in exchanges:

Are these batteries marked "Telstra" or not??

Previous vandalism like this then can possibly explain Telstra's reason for not selling to the public.

One day I will send a letter to Peter Garret to complain about this once you help me with my question. Other topics for Peter are:

1. Windmill knocked back by Malcolm Turnbull for Denmark (SW Oz) because of "visual pollution" of coast line. BUT there is a lime stone quarry there causing pollution anyway. Malcolm did it because of small protests. One green councillor (Shire of Denmark) is supporting it, another green councillor is against it. Is Peter now going to support it with federal funds??

2. Oz importers of electric cars face bills of $100,000 for crash testing as there is no separate category for these light-weight vehicles unlike in Europe. Is Peter going to support the establishment of a new elec. vehicle category??

Thanks.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Robb

Posted: 12:38am 26 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Also regular light cars.

What can I buy to replace my 700kg 49kw car with thats done >420000 km. Every small car I see these days is just too darn heavy.

Prof

Posted: 10:57am 26 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dom,

I may now be almost 10 years out of date, but I did work for Telstra for some 36 years, and yes the batteries were branded with Telstra/Telecom Aust. Sims Metal had to sign up to a tough contract to be entitled to scrap these batteries or else.

I myself sold for scrap 24x2 volt 200ah batteries which I bought from a large private business which had an old former Telstra PABX. All batteries were branded, but I ground off all info. I still use the stillage cupboard that they were in. Telstra does not want to be pursued by the EPA etc, or have s**t put on them by competitors.

You need to be protected from yourself and the environment - in my area of the world, children are banned from doing cartwheels at school!! just in case!!

Prof

I know boats!!

CraziestOzzy

Posted: 06:20pm 26 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

good old Malcom...Packer's best mate (for a while
anyways) and supporter of multinational consumerism that
supports his (present) mates shares. Now Labour is in
the camp, maybe reawaken the ideas re windmills...but
don't hold your breath, Liberal/Nats are not supporting
anything put forward by Labour in the Senate. So whisper
in the ear of the few Independants who hold the balance
of power :)
...yeah Cartwheels and Headstands are banned here in Oz
and Santa is threatened with a Jail term in the States
if he says "ho ho ho" next Christmas :P

http://cr4.globalspec.com/member?u=25757

http://www.instructables.com/member/OzzyRoo/

domwild
Guru

Posted: 06:49am 27 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for confirmation of Telstra logo on batts. Telstra now has a feeble excuse. Anyway, now that every scrap dealer pays you AUS$1.50 for even the smallest battery as China buys everything, no one in his right mind will dump batteries in the bush anymore. Even the scrap dealers will pick them up in the bush!

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024