Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:59 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Goodbye for now maybe for good

Page 1 of 2    
Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:08am 17 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well with my input to this forum with several threads gettin NO attention at all I've decided to do what other decent EX-forum members have done and leave this forum. I do my best in RE and will keep doing it but if the arm chair guru's want to can everything put forward I say let them ruin this place. I know another member or 3 thinking the same so whynot VENT my anger.

Bryan

P.S Sorry Glenn in no way does this mean anything against you. I'm just sad it's turned out this way.

Dinges

Posted: 11:50am 17 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's not nice if you post a story or question that you feel is important to you and nobody replies or answers. Makes one wonder sometimes, 'why bother at all'.

I wasn't aware that you had questions you were looking for answers for. I've looked around a bit just now on the forum and don't really see any unanswered stories of you. Only thing I recall is you've asked me a while ago for some help in your 10kW conversion; so far I haven't been taken up on that one. If we/I have missed something could you point that out ?

Would hate to see you leave.

Peter.Edited by Dinges 2008-11-18

Gill

Posted: 11:51am 17 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan,
I have often vented my frustration with the forum (its members) from time to time. Though it doesn't change anything and more often than not, on reflection, I wish I hadn't. I now have a little note to myself posted on the monitor that reads "If it's not positive, don't send. They won't understand anyway".

I would think if I got no replies means others have nothing positive or constructive to say in the way of criticism to my idea. Would I prefer negative criticism? "No". (Though it is sometimes received.) I think it was Gandi who said said something along the lines of "Sometimes you have to pocket the insult to not be diverted from the grander goals".

I guess if the forum is not giving you the feedback you hope for then you must progress and move on, though I for one hope you reconsider. All contributions, even those I (we) cannot see an immediate value in, enrich the forum by stimulating thought that might have never been. Not every idea is a goer. Not every idea gets an in-depth response, some none at all, but every idea is valuable.

Your contribution to the forum has been positive.
I hope it continues.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

GWatPE

Posted: 12:41pm 17 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi bryan,

I see your point.

I have had a bit to say recently in an indirect way as well. I am still waiting.

There is still the dog&bone and I may get the hang of IRC.

Will need to look at a Maximising boost for your mill, to get you up to speed.

I have a feeling the performance we have obtained from a pretty std, single stator ferrite rotor F&P mill may be on top for a while yet. I think we may be the only 2 up there.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:37pm 17 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Bryan, don't leave . I can't afford the phone calls. if my phone works ?.

You have made some nice contributions and I certainly read this forum EVERY morning . I see some things that interest me and some that I just say,OK to. I was telling Gordon yesterday that I seem to be getting lazy ,so kicked in and lowered the mill to once again try the caps . Gordon and you ,along with lots of others have made special contributions to this forum ,,Thank you.

Cheer up mate ,,go throw rocks at the Roo's ,,I do.

Bruce
Bushboy

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:25am 18 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Usually I go looking for un-answered posts, and post a simple reply so at least the original poster feels someone has read their posting. But I've been so busy I havn't had time to go over the forum.

I've been busy with my own business lately, and last Tuesday I had to do a 2 hour talk at the local uni about wind power, which took a couple of months preparation. This week I'm painting the car, finished this weekend hopefully. With that out of the way, I can get back into my usual routine and be more forum active. I do have some interresting developments to talk about, I've been sent one of those bike hub motors that Wes is using for his windmills, VERY interresting unit, big power and no cogging, but more later.

I should add sometimes I see a interresting post, but cant think of a reply worth posting. But this doesn't mean the post was wasted. Some of the subjects lately are way above my own F&P/windmill knowledge, so I dont reply incase I say something dumb!

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

oztules

Guru

Posted: 09:24pm 18 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hang in there Bryan,

You have helped push the capacitor idea along, so can take comfort that of the squillion views that is in the cap threads, you are responsible for more than a few... in fact your cap arrangement got Gordon more interested in the caps than any other contributor I feel.

As Gizmo alluded to, sometimes an article gains no printed interest, but that does not mean that people are not interested, just that they have nothing to add at the time, or like me lately very busy helping people out with a myriad of other projects, and I haven't had time to play computers for very long, so I read, enjoy and get back to it.

You still have unfinished threads that you have started, but not continued... we are ready to help you with the PSU conversion, but it seems to have died, as have the pic challenges you have started. These will attract a lot of verbage when you get back to them I suspect, as they are different, and have room for discussion..... for the PSU it will be 101 ways to let the smoke out, and the pics will have programming challenges to discuss (over my head..but) Gill and Gordon and Gizmo and others will be able to help.

Where a good article on your dumpload had been posted, there is not much to sensibly add. You seem to have got it under control, and success was at hand. Not much to discuss here, and not much can be added. I will say well done, but that doesn't push the project anywhere so in busy mode I had neglected to mention it.

Think a little bit more on it perhaps before turning your back on your friends and aquaintances and people you don't even know yet.

Your generous and helpful, and I think it would be a shame to see you retire from the forum..... maybe your just having a bad day .... but luckily, there's always a tomorrow

Your friend oztules Edited by oztules 2008-11-20
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

Zeusmorg

Posted: 05:16am 19 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think he got peeved by the comments that basically stated "this won't work" when he proved it did.. I've talked with bryan on IRC and know the general situation of his mill prior and after the introduction of the capacitors.. Why it works,, and does it work are two separate issues.. they why I can't answer, but the "does it",, he's proved.

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:45am 21 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok I will add one more post under the Bryan1 nic in this forum . Next month I'm moving to sat BB internet so I've decided to start again with a nic most IRC guys know. That nic is what I'm really about Well I must say sorry for the outburst I did in this thread saying I was quitting. Maybe it's our aussie spirit but here on a friday night I'm going to down a block of VB, one can see I'd be mad to lose such good friends just because NO BUGGER WILL TRY CAPS.

It is my decision to go this way and as my in-laws want to check what I'm upto, a bit of anomonity won't go astray.

Cheers for the last time in the Bryan1 nic

Dinges

Posted: 11:17am 21 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matt down south

Posted: 02:07pm 21 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

so what is IRC?

matt down south
matt

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 08:30pm 21 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Bryan ,,,I'm over on the IRC every morning ,early,,so come on down.

The IRC chat forum is run by the fieldlines forum ,you go to fieldlines ,do a search ,get registered with a nick and start. Look up TOM W postings ,,he has a link at the bottom of most of his posts..

Bruce
Bushboy

Dinges

Posted: 06:07pm 23 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan,

I noticed your post on FL with the 2hp conversion. Was curious about it and decided to make a quick sketch... seems to be the perfect candidate for a 4-pole conversion using 8 pcs. 50x25x12mm magnets; these will cover practically the entire circumference of your rotor, and nearly fill the entire length of your stator (50mm of the 60mm available space). By using the offset-method as I used in the 12-pole 10hp conversion I think it will be even very easy to build too, if you have access to a mill with dividing head (which I think you do).

Just mount the magnets at 43.75 deg (as opposed to 360/8=45 deg) on the rotor (with 43.75 deg angle between *each* magnet and its neighbour) and that's all. No need to make and drill aluminium cages. These magnets are cheap and plentifully available. I used 50x25x12mm in my conversion, but 2"x1"x.5" should work too, with slight change in dimensions.

Definitely check dimensions for yourself, I only drew this off the cuff. Your responsibility to verify dimensions (the 43.75 deg. offset angle is 100% correct though) if you decide to build it like this. The above angle is only correct for 36 stator slots, which I think yours is.

If it were mine that's how I would convert it. It would give you 8 cubic inch of magnets... according to Zubbly's rule that should yield you 1200W (according to my experience more like 800W). Simple and quick project, if you can turn and mill a new rotor of solid steel.

Peter.

Edit: I don't think it'd cog, I'd be 100% certain it wouldn't if you'd mount the magnets N-S-N-S... (i.e. 8-pole)... but I've never actually verified this configuration (N-N-S-S-N-N...) myself yet. I'm reasonably sure it wouldn't cog though...but no guarantees, of course.Edited by Dinges 2008-11-25

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:46am 25 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Dinges,
I've done a pricing on 120 N45 3/8 x3/8" round neo's off applied mags and Lee from frenergy mags here in Oz worked out exchange rates and shipping and for $8 more I can get 120 10x10mm N50 neo's for $159 + shipping.

Anyway could you do a quick reply then...

Glenn you you please delete this whole thread as after talking with Gordon it shouldn't get me too upset about things that have happened so, I can please just put this down to a bad day and forget this ever happened.

cheers Bryan

Dinges

Posted: 06:52pm 25 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bryan,

Not really topical to this thread but needed a place to post this drawing, so... hope Gordon will leave it long enough for this reply to appear :)

Lots of round magnets should work fine too. The premium for N50 is neglectable, I'd go for N50.

You'll have to make a new aluminium cage for the rotor and drill or mill a lot of holes. It's a job that I've come to hate over time and doubt I will use ever again for conversions. The bar magnets with offset is just so much easier and quicker.

Also, with square magnets you can fit more magnetic volume in the same space. Those 120 3/8*3/8" magnets would yield 5 cubic inch of magnetic volume, the 8 square bar ones 8 cubic inch. That's 60% more...

Either way, both methods should yield a fine working generator when skewed properly. Your call.

Peter.

oztules

Guru

Posted: 09:16pm 25 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmmm,

Ya gotta admit Bryan, he makes a good case for rectangular magnets of any strength (n35 and up) when you get 60% more volume for your efforts than the little round ones.

........oztules

Dinges

Posted: 09:18pm 25 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok, so I was bored tonight...

A skew angle of 8.0 deg (7.94 deg, to be more precisely) should give you zero cog if your outside rotor diameter (aluminium sleeve) is 96mm.

If you decide to use this as your basis definitely check dimensions. If you decide to give the aluminium sleeve another outside diameter (or decide to use a different method, without a sleeve) then your skew angle will have to be recomputed.

Peter (still bored...)

Edited by Dinges 2008-12-16

oztules

Guru

Posted: 05:25am 26 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hate to see what you get up to on a busy night

........oztules

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:42am 26 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dinges your just too good thanks alot mate those drawings will save me doing a heap of work. I did a costing on the 3/3x3/8 round mags and Lee said he could do the N50's for only $8 more. Now I worked out the price of 8 2x1x1/2 N45's from applied mags and the cost is about $126 delivered. I did email this to Lee for a price comparsion but bloddy telsux wont let me into my email to check messages. Tomorrow hopefully I'll be on sat BB internet and not have to worry about telsux anymore.

Cheers Bryan

Dinges

Posted: 07:50pm 26 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You may want to order a few spare magnets. At least if you're like me and occasionally experience a mishap with them...

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024