Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:27 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Glossary of Jargon

Gill

Posted: 02:58pm 23 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I see from time to time how new comers to the forum are left still wondering what the answer to their question is. In terms and jargon, we old hands may perfectly well have answered the question but because of those abbreviations, jargon and the unfamiliar terms the newcomer is left wondering what it all means, what is vital,and what is ancillary information.

Perhaps a Glossary of Jargon, Terms and Abbreviations would be a help in such cases?

I'll suggest this list of a few and perhaps others can add more. If Glenn sees some merit in the idea from the response perhaps he will add it to the site to help the new guys.

HAWT Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine
VAWT Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
TSR See_ Tip Speed Ratio
Tip Speed Ratio The speed of the propeller tip compared to the winds speed that drives it. _ More
A of A See_ Angle of Attack
Angle of Attack Angle between the relative wind and the prop blade _ More
Relative wind The angle of the wind relative to a moving surface(plane of a rotating prop) _ More
Apparent wind See_ Relative Wind
Blade Angle Angle between the blade and the plane at 90deg to the prop shaft. (also called Pitch) _ LINK
Pitch Angle between the blade and the plane at 90deg to the prop shaft. (also called Blade Angle) _ More
cct circuit
MPP Maximum Power Point. The point in the Volt Amp ratio where maximum power is transferable.
Maximum Power Point Tracking (Wind) An electronic device that adjusts power levels and their Volt Amp ratio to cause the maximum transfer of wind power to the battery. MPPT(Solar) is less complex and robust.
MPPT See_ Maximum Power Point Tracking (Wind).
flux Magnetic force. The path/shape of this force is the magnetic field.
PMG Permanent Magnet Generator.
pole Magnetic Pole eg. North/South also the protruding laminated finger the coils are wound around.
core Material inside a coil to concentrate magnetic flux. Laminates of steel and air most common, ferrite rare.
cogging Magnetic attraction between the rotor magnets and the steel core laminations that resists initial starting forces.
clogging Frustrated bashing of wind generator with a Dutch wooden shoe. Actually any piece of wood or solid item at hand will do.
magic smoke The stuff that makes anything electrical work - so long as it stays within the wire. (joke)
SOC State of Charge of a battery.
Furl The deliberate movement of the prop from full exposure to the wind to the minimal side on/in-line exposure to make the prop slow or stop. _ More
Yaw Rotational movement about a vertical axis(mast). This movement allows the prop to point at the wind when it changes direction.
Yaw Bearing The mast bearings that allows yaw movement.
Star An AC generator phase wiring arrangement giving a higher voltage with lower current output for a given RPM. Also called wye by the yanks.
wye See_ Star.
Delta An AC generator phase wiring arrangement giving a lower voltage for a higher current output for a given RPM.
Inde See_ Independent. _ More
Independent Configuration that independently rectifies each phase before series/parallelling to give final DC output. (also called Jerry Rig on the yanks Forum). _ More
Jerry Rig A yank Forum term for independently rectifying each coil output before combining for total DC output. See_ Independent.
Swept Area The area covered by the rotating propeller on a HAWT or rotor on a VAWT. On a VAWT the cubic nature is considered beyond the mere wind frontage area as in the case of the HAWT.
Shunt Regulator Battery protection device, fitted across a battery for turning on a dump load also across the battery and so prevent overcharging.
Controller A term often used for either a Shunt Regulator or Diversion Controller.
Diversion Controller Battery protection device fitted between the generator and the battery to divert excess power from the battery to a dump load and so prevent overcharging the battery.
Regulator See_ Shunt Regulator
EMF Electro Motive Force. The unit of measurement is the Volt.
Back EMF Braking A deliberate short circuiting of the generators output to cause maximum load and so (usually) stop it turning.
Buck Converter Electronic arrangement that converts/transforms the Volt Amp relationship of power. It reduces The Voltage and increases the current for a final reduced power due to conversion losses.
Boost Converter Electronic arrangement that converts/transforms the Volt Amp relationship of power. It increases the Voltage and decreases the current for a final reduced power due to conversion losses.

Perhaps HerbNZ could give us his MMF or Muff ones relating to PMG's?

Then of course there are those Shane Warne txt msg abbreviations all the kids know but us older fellows can only guess at. The good part is they never mean anything important.
Like:

BTW Beer Tastes Wonderful
IMHO I'm Horny Often
IMO I'm Obese
LOL Light On Laughs

Remember this is for beginners to understand what we are talking about. What terms did you have trouble with when you started?

KIS thanks. Edited by Gill 2008-12-03
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 12:41pm 24 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Gill, 10/10 for this beauty. I was secretly hoping that somebody would eventually produce a glossary table so I could print it out for quick reference.

As you say, jargon creeps in anywhere these days and I for one feel a bit left out when reading a post that's generously sprinkled with it .

Klaus

matt down south

Posted: 01:56pm 24 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yeah good one Gill but what about stall cause that term comes up often

matt

matt

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:08pm 24 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great work Gill.
I will add the glossery to the main site in the next couple of days.

Thanks

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gill

Posted: 11:24am 25 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the positive response.
If anyone can suggest others, please post here or request one that is not yet on the list.

If you have issue with any of the terms or their meaning, please post your revision. I guess Glenn then has the choice of which best suits.

[Code]
Stall The state of a propeller when the power required (generator loading) exceeds the props driving force (derived from the wind). [/code]
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

GWatPE

Posted: 12:41pm 25 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo,

I feel that the glossary should initially only include abbreviations and acronyms. An explanation of complex principles should not be included. Stall is an example. I am no expert, but the Stall example above, I feel is incorrect. I suggest that care should be taken in this area, to ensure information is accurate, before cast in concrete and later having to be changed.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

Gill

Posted: 02:00pm 25 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gordon,
[Quote]An explanation of complex principles should not be included.[/Quote]

I agree.
The glossary is not intended as a quantified, definitive explanation perhaps this would suit the advanced builder who likely doesn't need it or else would endlessly dispute it's content.
Rather, the beginner needs a conceptual explanation for a general grasp of the subject that could be followed up elsewhere should the concept evoke further interest.

Let's not grow mushrooms out of fear of failing perfection?

Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Gill

Posted: 12:09pm 29 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A few more:
[code]
MMF See_ Magnetomotive force
Magnetomotive force Also known as magnetic potential, is the property of certain substances or phenomena that gives rise to magnetic fields. The unit of measurement is the AmpTurn (AT).
Dump Load Any load, but usually resistive, that dissipates the excess power that would otherwise overcharge a battery. Control of the dump load is by a Shunt Regulator or Diversion Controller.
VFD See_ Variable Frequency Drive
Variable Frequency Drive Is an electronic device for controlling the rotational speed of an alternating current (AC) electric motor by controlling the frequency of the electrical power supplied to the motor.
Islanding A small section of a power grid that is still 'LIVE' despite the overall grid shut down. Caused by a back-yarder's generator illegally feeding into the grid. **DEADLY** .
Edited by Gill 2008-12-06
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

oztules

Guru

Posted: 09:50am 01 Dec 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gill,
Thats a good enough conceptual explanation of stall, and all that is needed to visualise what is happening... or will happen if that state of play persists.

Sparwebs explanation was more formal, but useless to me to understand what is going on. (yes I have gone away and studied it in more detail, and I think I have gotten the hang of it, but as I don't measure wind speed, or frequency to calculate the TSR, AOA=((ATAN(1/TSR))-cord angle) is useless to practical observation.)

I disagree with Gordon. I think a beginner needs complex things converted to simplistic concepts, or they will never get anywhere, and in this case will never appreciate that a resistor may solve their quandry.

When they get it going properly, they can spend their time crossing the t's and dotting the i's. Until then, they just want basic answers.

Where necessary perhaps point that out in the description with a ** legend... ie not formally correct, but gives the general concept. Further research may be required to get a formal understanding of this term.... some clue is better than none.

Good work Gill

........oztules

Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 05:42am 28 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinker in the post above has expressed my thoughts exactly. When in Rome do as the Romans do, Well, What do the romans do? ,(IMHO in my humble opinion)This will be appreciated
by many who have no knowledge of computer slang and shorthand.,
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:06am 28 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You know I've completely forgotten about this glossary.

I'll add it as a page this weekend, if I remember

If I dont, someone remind me.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024