Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:29 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : IRC for the Backshed Froum

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 06:18am 01 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guy's,
Theres lots of subjects going in here that could be discussed in an irc channel. We have aussieRE setup and working and In my opnion that channel is second to the Otherpower IRC channel. I'm sure I could organise a new channel thru Ross's server or we could use the aussieRE irc room to do it.

Andrewf is considered a new member in here but in irc he's an ol' mate.

There are a heap of guys from the US that are happy to answer any Q's so come guys hiding behind text in a forum isnt the way to go in this modern world.

I'm sure there will be a heap of protest but hell if one doesnt ask this question we'll never go down this path.....

Cheers Bryan

zinguvok

Posted: 06:47am 01 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hear hear! There's always a few of us on AussieRE around to chat or answer questions.... and we could use some company!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:13am 01 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have no problems with promoting the AussieRE IRC here. If someone could provide the server details, and maybe some "How to get on IRC" instructions, I'll be happy to put a page together.

My only concern is any new idea's or discoveries made on IRC may be lost in history. I mean, the forum can be searched and refered back to, but IRC is live and a discussion is soon forgotten. Are there log or history files I can link to?

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 08:08am 01 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
First of all Happy New Year Mate,

Now what I propose is the irc will be good for ratting out new idea's, getting people together and being more friendly, for example it took me age to get Andrew to join, talking on irc I got Zing to join within 5 minutes.

The irc isn't for taking away from the forum it's about bringing Aussie guys a new world and the chance to chat with ( what I think) some of the best RE people on this globe.

The link is basically irc.albury.net the channel is #aussiere

All you need is a irc client like mirc etc

Cheers Bryan

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 12:47pm 01 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said   I have no problems with promoting the AussieRE IRC here. If someone could provide the server details, and maybe some "How to get on IRC" instructions, I'll be happy to put a page together.

My only concern is any new idea's or discoveries made on IRC may be lost in history. I mean, the forum can be searched and refered back to, but IRC is live and a discussion is soon forgotten. Are there log or history files I can link to?

Glenn

Glenn, I have worse problems, don't even know what 'irc' stands for.
It would be a good idea if posters of acronyms do not automatically assume everybody knows what they're writing about.
Tinker
Klaus

RossW
Guru

Posted: 08:26pm 01 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"IRC" is "Internet Relay Chat" - its probably the original "instant messenger" service.

It is widely supported by a good many clients (programs), including I believe an implementation in Mozilla (yes, the browser - check under the "Window" option for "IRC Chat".

IRC is more like a "virtual pub" - people come and go, many are "regulars" and often have their usual arrival and departure times, and it's a pretty informal affair.

Dinges

Posted: 08:42pm 01 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote=RossW]IRC is more like a "virtual pub" - people come and go, many are "regulars" [...]
It's closer to "a virtual pub with no beer".

For those interested, Kurt has written a good explanation on joining IRC, it can be found here:

http://oneota.net/~teejaydubya/IRC/chatpage.html

I normally type manually:

/server irc.albury.net

then, after being connected:

/join #aussiere

I recall the first time having quite a bit of issues with setting up mIRC. Sometimes it takes a bit of effort with all the options to set correctly.

There's also another much simpler web-based solution to connecting to IRC, without installing any extra software. This may be the easier solution for first-time users. Visit this link: http://www.mibbit.com/chat/, then click on 'server' at the top and enter the server address, in this case 'irc.albury.net'; as 'nick' enter your preferred name (for example, your Backshed user name); as 'channel', enter '#aussiere'; then click 'go'. Can't get much easier than this, without installing any new software....

Peter.
(walks off whilst humming a Slim Dusty tune)Edited by Dinges 2009-01-03

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 11:42am 02 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

RossW said   "IRC" is "Internet Relay Chat" - its probably the original "instant messenger" service.

It is widely supported by a good many clients (programs), including I believe an implementation in Mozilla (yes, the browser - check under the "Window" option for "IRC Chat".

IRC is more like a "virtual pub" - people come and go, many are "regulars" and often have their usual arrival and departure times, and it's a pretty informal affair.

Thanks for that, 'internet relay chat' eh? I thought it might stand for internal revenue collector or something like that.
Its a bother getting old as the hundreds of new acronyms that crop up all around me do their best to keep me confused
Happy new year to all or should I have typed HNY?
Tinker
Klaus

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024