Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:49 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : New bumper

Page 1 of 2    
mac46

Guru

Posted: 01:51am 18 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I purchased this truck at an auction many years ago and I've ment to replace the bumper eversince. Its been one of those projects that seem never to get done.
With all the rain, and rain, and rain, I was desperate for something I could do from the shop door....

This is more like it. The old bumper was beyond straightening.

....Mac46
I'm just a farmer

barrygun

Posted: 02:23pm 11 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice job,looks good.......tho' as the driver of a DAIHATSU CHARADE I wish you had made it out of RUBBER!!!
Hand Tools-The"Master Key"to Independence.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 06:01am 12 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi mac

That's what I need on my Chev blitz looks better than the piece of railway line that's there now, but maybe not as strong, watch out for the deer and turkeys as that isn't environmentally friendly for them either bit like the Charade.

Bob
Foolin Around

mac46

Guru

Posted: 12:43am 13 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ,
Hello Bob,
I even drove over the original bumper with the bulldozer,(after it was off the truck), to see if it would straighten out...just made things worse. The farmer that had this truck did alot of backing up in and around the feed lots and it appears as though he must have found every corner post in there atleast twice.
The new bumper helps the looks of the old truck and may help to "not" draw attention from the local sheriff as they are on the look out for old and poorly maintained trucks. It'll give the locals at the coffee shop something to talk about, yes...there is a town very simular to the tv show staring Opey and Barney down the road a bit.
Kind Regards...Mac46
I'm just a farmer

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:40pm 13 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi mac

Sound like the little town near my place, 20 miles away, full of Cretans and Cops. It has a half decent coffee shop and two Pubs, a supermarket and a petrol station.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:49pm 14 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi mac

This is a picture of a real bumper and a very good truck to of course.

This is another restoration project, got it going and all I have to do is panel beat a bit and paint it, and fix the brakes as well.

All the best

Bob

Foolin Around

mac46

Guru

Posted: 03:19pm 14 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ,

Hello Bob,
that is a very heavy duty truck...I'm jellious, a very sound bumper as well. You could anchor anything off that bumper as a dead man point. The breaks are a nice thing to have working, never know, might need to use them some day.

Kind regards...Mac46
I'm just a farmer

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 06:08am 15 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mac

It is seventy years old and still going strong, its got a 8 ton winch which is handy for pulling carrots,

One day I will get around to the paint job and panel beating to make it a bit more presentable.
I started to make a stub tower to test mills with but the wind decided to blow a bit again, so that is shelved for the moment.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

barrygun

Posted: 10:59am 26 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice Blitz Bob,take this with a smile,my late grandfather described the BLITZ as a vehicle"designed by blind stonemasons using blunt tools",cheers,Barry
Hand Tools-The"Master Key"to Independence.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:49pm 26 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Barry

Sure isn't pretty but has stood the test of time, one day I will give it the coat of paint it deserves and hopefully it will look a bit better. It is a 1942 model and has done only 6000 miles. nearly seventy years old so i think it is worth preserving.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 06:30pm 27 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob
Did you buy the truck new just after you got out of School ?
Ive got a 1930 Chrysler that was made into a truck I may try and get a picture up.
Isaiah
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:32am 28 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Isaiah

It is one of the many left here by your guys after WW2 it was sold to a farmer who used it with his home grown saw mill for 20 years and then retired it to the hay shed, and then along came Bob full of bright ideas and little money, that was 20 years ago and as you can see I have really got stuck into its restoration, but at least it is going again. I look forward to seeing your Chrysler, so get it up there.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 04:29am 28 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here she is. It started life as a sedan but during and after the great depression vehicles were hard to come by
and someone took it and cut the body and put the back up behind the door
making it look like a pickup cab.
Then if you look close to the side picture about half way back on the box is a silver handle this you move out and it will dump the box also if you look just in back of the door down you'll see where the back fender was when it was a sedan.
The last picture shows the wood spoke wheels.I also got the gas ration certificate and several stamps.
When I got it , it sat in a barn for 60 some years and the spokes had been painted and were peeling so we scraped and sanded them and refinished them. It has a flat head 6 motor with a 3 speed floor shift transmission. I had to redo the breaks and fuel system but the body it pretty much as found.
I was going to get it out for some shows this summer but the weather and economy it might be next year.
At the present time it sets up on blocks and I turn the motor and drive line from time to time, and it keeps the pressure off the tires.
I did put new tires on it back then.

URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

mac46

Guru

Posted: 12:52am 29 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Isaiah,

That is one sharp truck, don't think I'll find one like that around here, lots of people grabbing up the old iron for the scrappers.

...Kind regards...Mac46
I'm just a farmer

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 01:10am 29 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey mac46, Thank You
This one will stay in the family and go to my daughter when I'm gone.
A lot of stuff has gone to the scrap yards and then on to china. that shouldn't have been scraped.
They are even stealing farmers usable equipment around here these days.
One has to watch the things in his possession and the public serpents also or you'll wake up broke.

On another subject to all the spammer's ,thief's and hacker's and extortionist out there, The user name Isaiah or any derivatives thereof is the property of Charles H. Forster© and is copyright property so be aware if you steel any thing off one of my posts you can be fined a copyright infringement fee.
Isaiah
7/ 28 /2011Edited by isaiah 2011-07-30

mac46

Guru

Posted: 10:27pm 30 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is one of the projects keeping me away from my vawt project. Its a 1954 Massey Harris 444 tractor// with a (new-er)John Deere engine/clutch transplant.
The old engine was going to cost a small fortune to rebuild. plus it needed new manifolds, ect.ect.ect.and I already had this JD engine. It should be a much smoother, more fuel efficient tractor when I'm finished with it. (It sure could'nt leak any more oil than the old), it leaked terribly.
Kind reguards...Mac46
I'm just a farmer

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:53pm 31 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mack

Did it have a P6 Perkins in it originally?

All the best

BOB
Foolin Around

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 02:22pm 31 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Mac46
You got to get rid of that green paint. Make it all red like it was originally.
Looks like a good transplant job you did there.
You could then take it to a tractor show and no one may know what you did to it . From what I can see in your pic it looks factory. There are a lot of old Massy's up in my area .
One of our old customers had a 101 Senior with the chrysler flat head 6 in it.
Good Job Mac!!!
Isaiah

mac46

Guru

Posted: 11:32pm 31 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ...I don't know for sure, it was a 4 cyl. gas /flat head. I don't have any books on it and have'nt reserched it on the computer. Let me check my picture files, I may have one picture of the old engine.

Well here it is...I found a cracked front casting when I was disassembling it, one of the many oil leaks. I kinda think it was a continental engine, don't know.
Kind reguards...Mac46
I'm just a farmer

mac46

Guru

Posted: 11:56pm 31 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

isaiah...no, the green paint stays, I'm kinda fond of the green paint, besides it goes real good with the JD engine. Its the same engine that JD put into some combines and the 2010 series tractors...4 cyl. gas, with approx. 40 hp or so. I could'nt sell the tractor because of everything that was wrong with it, and I could'nt use it much because of the oil leaks, and I did'nt like it sitting around takeing up space in the shed. So I decided that it was high time to get something done with it.
The 6 cyl. chrysler engines were a gas hog too, some of the Massey's came out of the factory with that engine in them.
I'm cleaning and washing everything as I put back together, so I may as well paint it too while I'm at it. I had a gallon of JD green on hand and I like that color over red so thats what I did. Its amazing what a coat of paint can do. I don't go to tractor shows much, I fixem and use em.
I did strech a nylon string between the house and the wind generator this afternoon, and I have the shovel , spade, ect. out there, but thats as close as I came to working on the mill.
Kind reguards...Mac46
I'm just a farmer

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024