Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:35 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : New bumper

Page 2 of 2    
isaiah

Guru

Posted: 04:14am 01 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Bob
This battery charger wount burn your shed down .
Its oil cooled and in your country
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230693056692
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

mac46

Guru

Posted: 10:25am 05 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is another recent photo of the project, I'm working on replaceing every last inch of electrical wireing now.
isaiah, I suppose (Red) paint would have been a better choice after all. The neighbors are sure looking at it as they drive by real slow, (one almost drove into the ditch).
Kind reguards...Mac46
I'm just a farmer

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:47pm 05 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mack

I have one of these as a restoration project, it has a Perkins P6 diesel75 HP I think engine and a few bits missing no bonnet or radiator cowl, I will post some pictures when I get a new battery for the camera.

Yours looks really great but it's the strangest shade of red I have seen, possibly an Irish red.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

mac46

Guru

Posted: 12:06am 06 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ,
Thanks for the compliments...I agree, it is a strange shade of red. I just could'nt bring myself to paint a perfictly good JD engine, "red". My brother wanted to know what numbers and (ID) I was going to stencle on it...I had'nt thought of that, and could'nt answer his question. Yes, there is Irish in my heritage, German too, and English. The electrical is 99% complete, I still have the fuel line, front sheet metal, and hydralic pump to install.
The old engine was rated at about 45 hp and 1250 rpm, this engine is rated at 45 hp. and 2400 rpm. It has twin balanceing shafts and overhead valves, should be a much smoother running engine, and no oil leaks.
Kind reguards,
Mac46
I'm just a farmer

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:39am 06 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mack

You could call it a John Harris or maybe a Masse Deer. that would really confuse the neighbors.

With revs like that you could enter it in the tractor drag racing.

All the best

Bob

PS We all got a bit of Irish in us that's why we play with windmills.Edited by VK4AYQ 2011-11-07
Foolin Around

mac46

Guru

Posted: 11:54am 06 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ,
I took the 38 inch rear tires and rims off and installed the 26 inch rims and tires from the combine, also fabricated the mounts and installed the combine steering axil, makeing the tractor a wide front end from a tricycle front end. The engine is also from the combine...recycle/ reuse/ rebuild.
The smaller rear tires should put the ground speed at around 22 mph at 2400 rpm, up from the 16 mph as was with the other engine. I also installed the JD guages and 4-legged Deere steering wheel, and went by the JD service manual for the electrical wireing diagram and routeing, changeing it from 6 volt + ground tp, to a 12 volt - ground tp. If I ever need to overhaul the JD engine, the complete kit cost is much less than the Massey, although both are available.
Kind reguards,
Mac46
I'm just a farmer

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:30pm 06 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mac

Looks like a real good project and will be useful as well on the farm. Good to see the salvage of parts and making something out of what a lot would throw out as scrap.

Top Marks

Bob
Foolin Around

mac46

Guru

Posted: 11:36pm 06 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the compliments. Yes, the whole idea was to be able to use it instead of the larger tractors when possible...saveing on wear and tear on them, and also saveing on fuel. It is a plus when the tractor has new paint, but not a requirement.It now has been updated with flasher and marker lights, new wireing, and should be a handy tractor to have around.
Kind reguards,

Mac46
I'm just a farmer

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 03:32am 07 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mac

This is my old beast it has had a hard time in its life missing injector pump and starter and has a fordson steering box fitter, tyer size 30 x 19.8

Most other bits are there except the tin work.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

mac46

Guru

Posted: 12:15pm 07 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting the pictures of you'r tractor. (she's a diamond in the ruff), I can pick out many simular things between the two tractors...pitty we're 1/2 a world away from each other, I have many of the parts that you'll be needing, the freight cost alone would be the problem, even if I just gave them to you it would cost a pretty penny.
I have a 756 Int. with a 6 cyl. Perkins diesel engine, but it looks to be a different engine than what you have. I overhauled it two winters ago, (did'nt paint it because of the cold temps.) This was before my heated shop, and one of the reasons I built the shop. There is notheing like trying to put together an engine in subzero weather...but you do what you have to.

Kind reguards,
Mac46
I'm just a farmer

Bub73

Posted: 04:21pm 07 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mac,
Bob could just fly iover an d pick up those parts. there is a couple salvage yards up here in the midwest that would have parts for it also.
A friend of mine had a M.H. 55 diesel it would pull close to my Cockshutt 50 delude diesel. Ihave Cockshutt 50d. 35 gas and a little Cockshutt 20 Bub has a cockshutt 30 .
Isaiah

mac46

Guru

Posted: 02:02am 08 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bub73, Hello!!! Isaiah,
Thats a great idea, he could land right in the field next to the barn, would'nt have to walk more than 20 paces. Yes, I agree on salvage yards in this area, there's a couple large yards that have just about anything you would need. Some parts are alittle pricey.
I don't think I've seen a Cockshutt tractor in person, I've seen pictures ect. ect. but never in person. You should post a picture or two.
How many gallon of fuel do you suppose it'd take to make a round trip to Australia and back by plane?
Kind reguards,

Mac46
I'm just a farmer

mac46

Guru

Posted: 12:54am 18 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello, Everyone,

This is a picture of the tractor project, sitting outside after the first startup. It sounds suspeciously like a John Deere.
VK4AYQ, After some thought I've decided that the Massey Harris name will go back on to the hood, seems only fair. The engine will speak for its self.
I have'nt drove it around or anything yet, so I don't have a feel for how it will be....it sure is smooth running.
If anyone is interested ,I have some (very) used Massey Harris parts, includeing a complete engine, needs a complete rebuild, but ran fine up to the time I pulled it out of the tractor. Cheep, cheep, cheep.

Kind reguards,

Mac46
I'm just a farmer

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 01:56pm 20 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mac46,
The only dissapointment is you run short of paint.Great job!I have a fordson super major with clutch and hydraulic troubles,I think I'm past that work now,so it will have to go into town.Cheers Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

mac46

Guru

Posted: 06:13pm 20 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rastus, everyone,

Yes, I agree...it looks silly like this, but I have'nt had the time to clean it up and scrub it down. I'd also like to replace some of the seals and gaskets. I kind of whanted to give it some running time to see what the tractor acts like with the transplant...some have said that the transmission won't handle the different engine because of the higher rpm range. I have backed the govenor down to 2,100 rpm, but thats just because I did'nt or don't run them wide open anyway.
I must say that the smoothness of the engine / clutch is much better than the original, and both engines were rated at nearly the same hp, so maybe it'll be ok...time will tell. Thanks for you'r interest.

reguards,

Mac46
I'm just a farmer

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 03:17am 21 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mac46,
I wouldn't worry too much about that transmission.
They make pulling tractors out of those old tractors and put engines in with a whole lot more power and rpm"s than what you got with that combine engine.If a little common sense is used it should give many years more service.Providing the tranny is in good shape to start with.
Isaiah
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

mac46

Guru

Posted: 11:51am 21 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello isaiah, everyone,

Thanks for the reply with the info on the transmission...I kinda knew that they were built like a tank...pretty reliable and stout, just that some have stated that for example, pulling a wagon or wagons to the elevator on the open road in high gear and high rpm, "that the transmission does'nt lubricate its self well enough", since there is no pump to help circulate the gear lube. As far as it being in good shape, well everything works correctly and there is'nt any bearing noise ect. ect. to be concerned about, but the tractor is over 50 years old, so I would'nt expect it to be in perfect condition. The next items on the shopping list are new break shoes, and hand clutch pads,oil seals, and ofcourse new transmission and rearend fluid. New Massey Harris decals and lettering too. I think in hind sight," that you were correct," it should have been painted red, instead of green.
Thank you for you'r comments.

reguards,

Mac46
I'm just a farmer

Oscar4u

Posted: 09:11am 26 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello There
you lot just have oversized tonka toys. This is what a REAL tractor looks like.....

When I was serving my time my only modes of transport were push bike or this David Brown cropmaster 30D. Someone broke the corner cell of the battery althought it still worked on five cells for a surprisingly long time afterwards. When the battery eventually died I had a decision to make. Buy a new battery $120 and two minutes to fit, or buy an airstart $400 and about 400 hours to fit. That decision was easy of course, the latter one. Before I started this project everyone except for two said I was an idiot and it would never work. I proved them all wrong because it did work, although they still said I was an idiot. Sometimes one can not win. All the conections are Bsp or oringed and it does not leak. Have been overseas for a year and was still up to pressure when I returned! The starter motor came from a Mack truck. I did not want to remove the original starter motor incase this contraption did not work so put it on the dog in the front of the crankshaft. Wrecked two cropmaster transmition to get the gears to make the drivetrain. use this toy more to start to show of then actually to drive it. A lovely gimick all the same.
Oscar4u - for all your rotary cowshed repairs

mac46

Guru

Posted: 11:55am 27 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Oscar4u,

Thats quite a tractor, I've never set my eyes on one like this before, very interesting the way the air start went on. Its surpriseing just how much torque those air starters have...much better than the electric ones.
And yes, I've been accused by many as being a bit of a idiot, and many other names as well, like you said, "sometimes one cannot win".

Regards,

Mac46
I'm just a farmer

mac46

Guru

Posted: 01:56am 05 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello everyone,

I am finishing up on the tractor project. I finely have the hydralics working correctly. This was the last major thing to finish up before being able to actualy useing the tractor again. It will be nice to get it out of the shop and back in the machine shed.

Mac46
I'm just a farmer

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024