Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:10 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Pet photos

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:01pm 26 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I have some photos with my dog but now is dead, poisoned by some "nice" people.
But joys are keep coming.

Here is a little baby form a pair of pigeons which had some problems in breeding but now "the ice is broken".

And she is his/her mother, a Red Cluj Roller (the father is a homing pigeon):

Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:08pm 26 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We also have a nest of swallows with three babies. This morning I found it broken with only one baby hanging inside and the two on the floor, almost frozen. I put them inside and fixed the nest with some adhesive tape. Now is strong enough and swallows keep coming in feeding the babies. But I have the impression that now, they feed only one, which remained in the broken nest. Will see how it goes and I will take some shots.Edited by vasi 2011-07-28
Beyound Arduino Lang

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:33am 27 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I found a pigeon near my front door yesterday. It was just sitting there on the ground, eyes closed. I touched it and it fell over! It tried to get away but couldn't stand, and kept drifting in and out of consciousness. So before the cat made a meal of it I put it in a bird cage and left it in a dark corner of the shed for the night. Next morning it was awake and alert, so I opened the door, and it flew away. Dont know what its problem was, but it looks like I helped in some way, at least it wasn't eaten.

Here's my best mate. Every person should have a dog at some time in their lives.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:43pm 27 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

I have the same problem with bush pigeon's, they fly into the glass doors and stun themselves, they are nearly as smart as politicians. over the last 12 months I have had at least 20 birds die from flying into the glass doors or windows, but not one that flew into the windmills. Don't tell the greenies or they will make windows illegal like they tried to do with wind turbines.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:26pm 27 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah, thats it. I did find it below a window.

I've had the same results too, at my old place I had several doves fly into the windows, but never the windmills.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:06pm 27 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a similar situation with windows.. My place , you can open the front doors and see straight through the house to the mountains in the background.

We can't leave the front doors open ,,cause birds,especially butcher birds, fly through and crash into the big sliding glass doors at the rear ,, have rescued a few ,a few have died.

I'd luv a dog , but the greenie neighbours would openly cry (serious) I found her one day standing in the bush crying . I stopped cutting the DEAD tree for firewood and asked why she was crying-said I was cutting down the trees for the birds ... go figure that one ..

Bruce.
Bushboy

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:45pm 27 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can't understand why they fly with such a speed directly on windows? They don't see that there is a house? I am living on the edge of a forest and I don't experience such a thing. Weird behavior...

Vasi
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:55pm 27 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My daughter now wants a Boxer to replace the lost dog. It is said that boxers are good with kids (I mean, they are not easily upset by the kids). Is that true?

Beyound Arduino Lang

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:04am 28 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi vasi

A dog that grows up with the family is very protective towards the children but beware of getting an older dog as you never know what it has been subjected to before you got it.

From my experience either a lab or a German Shepard have worked well for me.

Bob
Foolin Around

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 01:17am 28 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi vasi ,, what a lovely dog .. People up the road had a boxer , and 3 very small kids,, it was such a lovely dog around those kids. Would lick you to death ,lol.

The reason the birds flew straight though from the front of the house (big double doors) , when open , they could see a million acres of bush straight ahead ,right though the house., Then "BANG" there is a 7x 3 metre glass wall ,.. so now we keep the front doors closed..

Bruce

Bushboy

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:32am 28 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Aparently the Boxers are good companion dogs, very loyal and yeah, good with kids. Its all depends on the first couple of years, especially the first few months. They are like kids, and learn very quickly, so you got to be carefull how you train the treat them in the first year.

I dont think you can treat a dog as a pet. Its a part of the family "pack".

Glenn
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 07:10am 29 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

This is my dog called Rodger I got him when he was 7 years old and it took him a while to settle down, he is a good watch dog, he just watches and barks but doesn't try to eat any one, not good with small children as he sees them as a threat.

I have tried to train him but it is hopeless like me he is to old to be bothered.

His favorite sleeping spot in the sun, compare him to the size of the passion fruit.

This is his inside on a cold night spot next to the heater.

Not actually a pet but this is the Koala Bear that hangs around the house and gives Rodger something to bark at,

Also several possums living in the wall of the house one carpet snake in the western wall and a number of brown snakes, all hibernating at the moment, smarter than me.

All the best

Bob

Foolin Around

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 03:50am 30 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is a picture of a pair of baby Mourning Doves that were born on top of my battery combiner box outside of my shop. The mother got used to me coming and going. The eggs hatched and this picture is just a couple days before they took flight.
There is a picture in the New bumper thred that has a picture of my yellow lab.
I may post some more later.

Isaiah
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 04:35am 19 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well the above baby's took flight and left the nest and the old mother dove came back and hatched another two eggs.
This time around the setting dove didn't fly off even when I opened the combining box.
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024