Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:17 15 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Coal power 2c/kWh, more figures

domwild
Guru

Posted: 02:25am 29 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

In "The Weekend Australian" some weeks back:

Coal power: 2c/kWh
Nuclear/wind: 3c
Solar-thermal: 22c (construction costs only, op. costs unknown so far)

Looks like generating costs alone and I did not cut out the article to publish more figures for the other schemes. Spain seem to have the largest solar installation, but they have also gone broke, so IMHO it is easy to be green and go broke doing it.

We are all "green" on this forum and are reducing our carbon footprint but it is clear that it will cost us one way or another to do so.

The WA gov. has not established a tidal power station in the Kimberley region despite 30' (10m) tides and has also given up on hydrogen buses in Perth. All nations know it will cost billions and are rather reluctant to embrace drastic measures.

I am feeling much better now!

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 07:35am 29 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dom

Looking at the cost of coal per KW it shows how much we are being ripped off, mine has now gone to nearly 23 cents KWH including GST so add the new carbon tax to that and the mind boggles.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

windlight
Guru

Posted: 08:38am 29 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When I left WA's largest power station in 2002 our generation cost was 5.23 cents /Kw across the switch yard fence, and we were the cheapest in WA, you have to add transmission costs and seat polishers in bill/marketing.

Allan
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

norcold

Guru

Posted: 09:26pm 14 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To give some idea of the cost of solar power, some 4years back under the Govt`s Remote Area subsidy, installed a $56,000 system(50% paid by Govt). 18*123w panels($10/watt) & 48v batteries(1200+ kgs). Under warranty all batteries have been replaced(corrosion on terminals from inside) all (Sharp) panels replaced under warranty(degrading of panels internally). So far solar controller and invertor have performed faultlessly. Cost to me on replacements has been minimal. System runs complete household, even a small MIG welder, with average consumption being 5.6kwhrs/day. Am very happy with system overall particularily with installer, he has bent over backwards to ensure we suffer very low system downtime. Have not calculated the cost per Kw(taking into account replacements as well) as fear it would be bloody depressing when compared to grid power.
Of interest have a number of Solarex and BP panels (powering solar pumps) purchased back in the 80`s, they have shown no sign of failure(first 40watt cost $20/watt). I have a lot of confidence that in the future solar and wind will become our major source of energy, but we must remember that current panels, batteries,inverters etc are being manufactured using power from coal,nuclear etc. I believe that the cost per watt for panels has been kept high by Govt subsidies(some installers flock to Govt subsidies for the quick buck ie insulation and school building fiasco) but also believe without Govt support the long term viability of solar(or wind) would suffer. It would be very difficult for Govt`s to ensure there are no rip offs, thus it is a cost we bear to advance. Without pain there is no gain. A point I have tried to put across to the locals who are trying to stop the construction of the Mt Emerald Wind Farm. We humans seem to want change but do not want to pay, very understandable if you live near a nuclear power plant and it may prove to be so if you live near wind farms, time as it has in the case of nuclear power will tell.
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024