Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:09 15 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Big crisis in 2013

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:43pm 08 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys,

Here in Romania are big rumors (on TV, every day - they say "what we can do to make people to realize that? How to convince them to not believe what politicians say?") about a huge crisis in 2013 (in 2012 are elections and everything will be trow on "the market" because who will be "in charge" on those days will be able assure their families).

What are your strategies, here experts says about big changes, we will start to use barter system. Have anyone steam engine blueprints to use it as electrical generator? My DVD does not include them yet (I will need another DVD anyway - I'm preparing for non-internet age )

Or is a subject which we can't discuss?

Vasi

P.S. Glenn, if is required I think you can create a private area, for members only...Edited by vasi 2011-08-10
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:08pm 08 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes Vasi , The world economy is really getting a huge wake-up call. the greedy days may be coming to a fast end . And having said that the "get off your arse" and get to work may be here. I'm retired , saved all my working life for my retirement so I would not be a burden on my fellow man .. %50 of those hard earned ,AND tax paid savings have now disappeared.. May be this why the young generation is not saving , who could blame them?.

It's a scary thought that is popping up seems every day on our markets and media ..

Bruce.
Bushboy

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:47pm 08 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vasi said   Or is a subject which we can't discuss?

So long as it stays level fielded, and not targeted at a particular group. The discussions deteriorate when members start blaming a particular group, be it political, social or religious, for the problems of the day as they see it. As soon as someone does that, it aggravates most of the people that read the thread, and it goes down hill from there.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

powerednut

Posted: 04:37am 09 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My wife and I are working towards minimising what we have to pay other people for. we are off-grid with a small solar and wind turbine system. It meets our current needs, but it will need to expand quite a lot to meet our expected need in 2 years time (new house).

I also want a small scale methane gas production system for producing gas to cook with. In the meantime we use LPG gas for that. I imagine you could run a generator from methane, but you'd need a lot of material to produce the gas.

We plan on being mostly self sufficient year round for fruit and veg and to produce our own meat from poultry, cattle and sheep. Fortunately we've got enough land to be able to do this. My wife has done an amazing amount of planning to work out year round production of fruit and nuts in our area, and we are slowly implementing that plan.

We have water tanks for water (sufficient for a similair drought to the one just gone)

My worst cost at the moment is fuel (petrol and diesel), which I'm planning on minimising by moving to biodiesel.

Not having to pay for electricty and water has been a huge saving (especially with the recent rises in cost for electricity) and based off what a electricity-miser friend has payed in the same time our system has already payed for itself. Its taken 18 months, but mostly because I bought unecessarily expensive crap because I hadn't payed enough attention to this forum. My annual gas cost is just under the quarterly "connection fee" for having the gas connected at my old place.

The only problem with doing all this is the economy relies on people spending money. If everybody stops spending money on stuff, the economy will tank really really hard.

Just don't expect it for free - everything will be hard work - thats why we pay money for stuff really, so we don't have to do all the work ourselves. Upfront cost can also be quite high for a lot of the stuff (water tanks etc).

shawn

Posted: 08:22am 09 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Top marks to ya Powerednut what you are doing is what im striving for, I do not think i will ever be completly self sufficient (to much on going hard work) but i am also offgrid and grow heaps of our food and all our water comes from the sky.
My plan is to minimise outgoing costs and if it takes me years to get there that is ok.
one plan for me is to keep working on my power system to the point were i can buy an electric car and keep it running, buy the time my system is big enough (years) they should be cheap enough to buy.

wood gasifire they did it years ago worked well have not read about it here though should be able to run a gen easy they drove tractors with them.Edited by shawn 2011-08-10

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 04:25pm 09 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have posted here some where a article from my electric company in 2009 about electricity becoming a pricy luxury instead of a affordable staple.
With the weather as it is in the states this year the crops are in bad shape .
some area's are drought some flooded etc.
Store what food you can at this time!!!
Isaiah
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

grub

Posted: 09:40pm 09 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A friend and I were discussing this type of scene and he commented that if I had food and he did not but he had a gun and I did not, then he would get the food. As one can see from the world news, you can't rely on the police to protect you. So more food for thought.

vasi

Guru

Posted: 10:12pm 09 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

grub said   A friend and I were discussing this type of scene and he commented that if I had food and he did not but he had a gun and I did not, then he would get the food. As one can see from the world news, you can't rely on the police to protect you. So more food for thought.

Imagine towns flooding villages and private farms in search for food.
But not only the food will be the target. Anything which sustain life, including a better place for living. This is why I think they will be prepared for this. Anything done wrong will be a reason for them to eradicate it by law (and restrain even more our liberty).

What is happening now demonstrate that somewhere in time, the things started to be built in a wrong way. If is so easy to put down everything, then something definitely was made wrong.

If I remember right, some countries resisted well to the first wave of crisis. Those had a different type of economy. This is also food for thought.

Beyound Arduino Lang

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:48pm 09 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

grub said   A friend and I were discussing this type of scene and he commented that if I had food and he did not but he had a gun and I did not, then he would get the food. As one can see from the world news, you can't rely on the police to protect you. So more food for thought.

But then he only has food a short time and no one to watch his back.

What I would do is stock up on vegetable seeds. If you have food and your mate has a gun, then you can both eat and defend yourselves while your first crop grows. Then you can both survive long past running out of the stored food.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 10:51pm 09 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  

But then he only has food a short time and no one to watch his back.

What I would do is stock up on vegetable seeds. If you have food and your mate has a gun, then you can both eat and defend yourselves while your first crop grows. Then you can both survive long past running out of the stored food.

Glenn

He he, and that means community! I believe neighbors can get organised fast and well.
Beyound Arduino Lang

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:00pm 09 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah I think so Vasi. I've been through a couple of cyclones now, and we end up with no power, phones, fuel, etc for a few days after. But I find the comunity always banded to gether and shared. The frezer melts, so we eat BBQ's for a couple of days and share the food. Someone has a generator, so they share what fridge space they have, hot showers etc.

I think there is a underlying instinct in humans to help eachother, except for dump stupid kids in the UK.

Glenn
JAQ

grub

Posted: 09:18pm 10 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"Dumb stupid kids"
Where I am now there used to be (past tense) a corner store. The local kids continually broke into it to steal goods from it. Eventually the store closed and now there is a vacant block where it once stood. If they, the locals, want to buy something they now have to go miles to get it. They, the chronically stupid, did not realise that they were stuffing themselves by not thinking ahead. The same happened with phone boxes too. If you need to use a phone there are none around because the stupid vandalized them until the phones were removed. Now there are none.
Unfortunately the bleeding hearts go out of their way to protect these stupid people. Others have to put up with the stupids in their locality but the bleeding hearts live where there are no stupids and never will.
Life wasn't meant to be easy, but way do some go out of their way to make it near impossible.
:(

powerednut

Posted: 11:47pm 10 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is a bunch of information on wood gas generators (gasifiers?) out there. Bunch of videos on youboob as well. This one shows a lawnmower running on wood gas which to me implys its possible to run a small generator from it at least.

lots of stuff on there about methane generators too, including some used to run generators.

My experience with people in times of crisis is they will generally try and help each other out. of course London is putting a lie to that, but hey. Last time there were 3-4 day long power outtages down my parents way (who are also off grid) the neighbours all did communal bbqs during the day, shared generators around, stocked stuff in my folks deep freeze and had communal dinners at my parents.

The advantage of seeing this coming, like Vasi is, is that you get plenty of time to get set up, figure out how to do things right and then share the knowledge around, which will let others do it too.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:07am 11 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

It is a good time to get prepared for the times ahead, if they come as some feel, as a very severe trial we can at least have some form of survival strategy in place for the basics, if it doesn't come well we had fun trying.

A small solar system will run fridge and freezer and a back up generator is OK if you have some fuel on a rotating stock pile, my friend has an exercise bike set up as a generator which will charge a lighting system (LED) as a backup for the house.

On the farm we used large glass jars for storage of oats wheat rice flour and other staples that kept for months, and it kept the mice an moths out. A little trick is when you pack the jars leave a bit of air space in the top and put one of the little food warmer candles there and light it before you close the jar, it burns out excess oxygen and helps to prevent insect attack.

In my locality a semi rural area we have a little group of like minded people that we swap and barter goods and services with, I am sure that when times get tough that will continue as a support system.

On the gas producer there are several simple plans to make them on the net, but I would rather go for low pressure steam as it is easier to get going.

In the city it is important to have alternate water storage, small tank for essentials or even a few water bottles stored away in the pantry cupboard.

Most people take supply at the supermarket for granted but with the disasters here in Australia it is only a couple of days and people are crying out for help. Not good enough.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

vasi

Guru

Posted: 03:03pm 11 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I live at countryside but I don't have terrain for cereal cultivation so I buy all the grains for chickens (those are on top of the sacrificial list - thought, if the food for them is not a problem, can be a solution, two chickens for each member of a family can provide all the required eggs) and can be breed in coops like this:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=36770

or this:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=66725-wi chita-cabin-coop

If you can't rely on your fridge, you can roast them all and put them in recipients with lard (hot, then let them cool) and you can store them in some kind of cellars in the ground (can resist at least two years if the cellar is cool enough). Then, the secret weapon may be the rabbits, where is plenty of vegetation and cost you nothing. For bread, the solution is to store bags with flour (humidity may be a problem), the wifes know how to bake.

Vasi
---------------
These were the advices in 1918:

Edited by vasi 2011-08-13
Beyound Arduino Lang

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024