Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:52 15 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : DVI/VGA problem

domwild
Guru

Posted: 10:33pm 08 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

A friend gave me a PC (without hard disk) as it does not work. Looks like a more powerful model than mine, so I would like to keep it.

I am guessing he made the "mistake" of connecting his screen (one) with both, the DVI cable and the VGA cable.

I am wondering if this "mistake" messed up the video card and this is why I am now the proud owner of his PC?? Or are the drivers smart enough to choose one option? The card may have overheated if both signals were created??

Google came up with six mio. hits when I entered "connecting DVI and VGA" and most replies relate to dual monitors.

Thanks.
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:41pm 08 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A video card with both VGA and DVI can drive both outputs at the same time, as a dual screen setup (which I use and highly recommend). Plugging both outputs into a single monitor would have unexpected results though, it depends on how smart the monitor and video card are. The video card should be ok with it, and the monitor should choose one input over the other.

Fire it up and plug in one cable only, see what happens. No picture, try the other cable. No picture, try another monitor, then try another video card, or if the motherboard has a build in video, remove the plug in video card and the motherboard will revert back to the onboard one. Process of elimination.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:13pm 08 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe you can find something good here:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvitrouble/dvitrouble.html

Another place:
[quote]Greetings,

I am helping a friend. Just did a clean WinXP install on his system which has an Asus A7N8X motherboard, new SATA WD160 HD, 2GB SuperTalent matched pair RAM, a new Antec 430 earthwatts PSU, and a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ cpu. The video card was a Micro-Star Nvidia Geforce 2 MX400 with both VGA analog and DVI. He took it home and connected both DVI & VGA to the card and the monitor which is a Samsung 19" LCD.
The computer worked very well when only DVI was connected at my place. It however, no longer booted properly at his place with both analog & digital connected. Now the Video Card is damaged.

Is this connecting both VGA & DVI what caused the problem?
He did say that he has had it connected that way for a long time with it working.
Is it possible that the LCD monitor DAC circuitry could be damaged from this?

Any advanced technical information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig
[/quote]
http://forums.tweaktown.com/audio-visual/29905-what-happens- plugging-both-vga-dvi.html Edited by vasi 2011-08-10
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:27pm 08 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If the video card was damaged, then there is a chance to have also motherboard damaged. If you have the motherboard damaged, then there is a chance to get also a new video card damaged if you try to replace the video card. This is why I don't help friends anymore in this area. I send them to the hardware repair center after a quick diagnose without opening the box.
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:46pm 08 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You must see also this one:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_connect_both_DVI_and_D-sub _cables_to_the_same_monitor

----------------------
Not related, but a nice resource:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/DVI_info.ep Edited by vasi 2011-08-10
Beyound Arduino Lang

domwild
Guru

Posted: 11:38pm 09 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, Glenn and Vasi. I find the same problem exists with helping friends with their PC problems. The issues have become so complex, that it needs the patience of a saint and deep pockets to pay for mistakes one makes.

The dealer gave my friend both cables (DVI/VGA) with the monitor and my friend promptly connected both and told me he always had problems with this setup.

Have bought a 1 TB disk ($62) and will try a clean install with his XP OS disks. I doubt if I can use my WIndows 2000 disks with SP4 as Windows 2000 will probably not recognise PCIe slots (16x, etc.).
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024