Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:37 15 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Ubuntu Unity

vasi

Guru

Posted: 05:19pm 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use Ubuntu 10.10. Every day Canonical "begs" me to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 which have Unity as a GUI and desktop. I wont. I don't like Unity. I like phone like interfaces but not Unity. The way Gnome 3 is looking and acting is the right way for me if we have to go "OpenGL" for desktop (but I would prefer to stay as is now).
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Bub73

Posted: 05:00pm 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi vasi,

I use Ubuntu 10.04 on this laptop off grid, kind of buggy for a LTS release and Ubuntu 8.04 on my desktop PC very stable release but getting kind of old both with the Gnome GUI.

I switched to Linux long ago for stability and to get away from the virus game and I will run a stable release till its obsolete. I don't like to install Os's just to have the latest thing. I rather like using my computer's every day without trouble.

Tell us more about this Unity thing.

Bob

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:57pm 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob,

I also tried 10.04 wishing to use it as an every day OS but destroyed my MBR at install and the grub bootloader wasn't able to boot to my Windows partition (I use dual boot).

I found 10.10 being very stable and I kept it. Thinking that I will not be able in time to install other applications because in Ubuntu repositories have a short life, I made an effort and downloaded the entire distribution of Debian 6 on DVDs (I think are 8 in total) so I'm assured. I did the same with all applications which I need to have and are not included in any Linux distro so, from my part, Ubuntu can do whatever, I don't need them anymore.

About Unity, I share this opinion and in my view, Gnome 3 Shell is looking better. Still, I don't like OpenGL accelerated Desktops/Windows Managers. That means a lot of heat for laptops. Will see...

I like more OpenSUSE Linux 11.4 distro which use also Gnome 3 Shell.

But is not only that, the new distros are going to social OS and I don't like that.Edited by vasi 2011-08-19
Beyound Arduino Lang

Bub73

Posted: 07:37pm 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi vasi,

What do you think of Mint as a working OS ?

Thanks
Bob

vasi

Guru

Posted: 10:12pm 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Didn't used it so I can't speak about but I know it was based on Ubuntu and now the last version is based on Debian, the (unstable) testing branch, the advantage being that you always are upgraded to the newest version of your applications.

I expect from my Linux to be secure, stable, fast and light on processor. Almost all distros based on Linux Slackware had those attributes. I used for long time when I was offline Linux Vector distros. I did all desired customization and installed all development tools I needed. It was great and I miss it. In the past I used Red Hat and Fedora (coming from Slackware) - I appreciated them for the great support for software development those days.

I played with Mandrake/Mandriva and liked a lot SuSE. When I got a CD with Ubuntu 6 on CD, I was disappointed because I had nothing complete on it. It was based on a network connection to get everything you wanted so when I had a good network connection, I really enjoyed it ... to only find out how is to be forced to upgrade because you got no repositories anymore... Not a solution if you develop applications for clients and you install also the operating system from a CD for those applications. Now I always get the DVD and check to see if I have everything I need on it. Of course, with the first occasion, I downloaded the DVDs for all Ubuntu LTS I wanted (6, 8 and 10 version), mainly to support the LinuxCNC EMC2 which come on Ubuntu LTS CD images.

I always think that is possible to remain offline so I get measures. I am passionate about Operating Systems (I liked very much BeOS but I can't install Haiku on the hardware I have now) but I think I have enough of them and I can anytime stop and remain offline with only one of them.

So, I don't know what to say, depends on what you want from your OS, and to what you use it. Go always with DVD variants and the variants of Mint based on Ubuntu if is stable and fast or, go with the one based on Debian Testing for being upgraded forever if your Internet connection is permanent. I am in favor of a Debian stable based distribution (any), with a rich long term repository - I have to refresh my informations regarding to Linux Slackware...

Vasi

P.S. Exotic distros come and go, having a short life. As a Linux distro creator, without support from a background business, I can't see how to ensure a long life to your Linux distro. As a user, is good to know if there is any background business, what kind, and the reason that distro is created and distributed (yes, we are there).
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 10:50pm 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

http://krizzyla.blogspot.com/2011/03/squeezing-linux-mint-de bian-edition.html
Beyound Arduino Lang

Bub73

Posted: 03:30pm 18 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks vasi;

Looks like we must be the only Linux user's on the board.

I'm thinking of updating my desktop PC thats running Ubuntu 8.04 and want a very stable release that will be supported for quite some time.
I keep a lot of electronic and radio software and a few games on it.
I use it mostly for working on my projects as it has a very good graphics card and monitor; easy on old eyes.....
Only dial up connection here so I try to find the best OS before I start.

Thanks again
Bob

powerednut

Posted: 11:50pm 18 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nah, your not alone. i use linux too, just not ubuntu.

my personal preference is for debian (which ubuntu is based on). Gentoo is very nice, if you've got the patience (and/or compiler cluster) to do the build.

Have you considered ripping out the Unity gui and using something like lxde instead?

or using one of the "other" ubuntu distros, like xubuntu or kubuntu?

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:03am 19 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would wait for Xubuntu 11.10, though Kubuntu is more user friendly.
Beyound Arduino Lang

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024