Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:42 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Very funny!

vasi

Guru

Posted: 04:20pm 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have installed by default on Vista, Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer. Usually, I uninstall everything installed by the manufacturer which I don't use but I let that by commodity. I don't use Internet Explorer and I just reinstalled the Vista using the recovery process which come with the computer.

And... just few minutes ago my firewall announced me that the Google Toolbar Notifier is silently trying to access the Internet. Well, that's funny 'cause I don't run IE and so Google Toolbar is not active. He didn't asked for my permission to install a permanently active service on my computer to check something on net and is normal to have such options only at run time and with a policy set by me. Not running on my back. Thanks to the firewall, I set that service permanently blocked until I will uninstall the Google Toolbar. Too many software producers take the right to act on my back without my knowledge!

The only spies on my computer allowed to scan and report my content are the antivirus and the firewall . If I have to use the Internet, I have the free protection at a cost. Otherwise, I am fully assured at no cost (and no Internet, of course)

Well, at the end is not funny anymore.

Vasi

Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:59am 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Vasi

A lot of these programs are like virus themselves as the do things in the back ground, I have had a similar experience with Norton products, they come and take over the system and when you try to get rid of it it crashes the system and still sits in the background.

Bob
Foolin Around

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:38pm 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I am a Google client and there is no mystery about my person for them but, when you use a Google Toolbar, maybe they think you are an exclusive Microsoft user so, new to them.

I know about Norton having such behavior. I had once to reformat the HDD because of it and never used then.

Vasi
Beyound Arduino Lang

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:43pm 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah I dont like those extra tool bars google/yahoo/facebook/etc/etc/etc try to install. They do "stuff" in the background, and play havoc with intranet systems.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

powerednut

Posted: 10:41pm 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

a bunch of stuff installs itself to run at startup, mostly to check for updates. I find this deeply annoying because windows7 is pretty slow to boot anyway.

Fortunately configuring what runs at startup is relatively straight forward.
just run (windows key+r) msconfig, click on the startup tab and unselect everything you don't want to run at boot time.

Common resource hogging culprits are the various adobe products (acrobat, flash etc). Just disable them.Edited by powerednut 2011-08-27

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:59pm 27 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the tip @powerednut, it worked well.

Vasi
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 01:49pm 23 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you try to upgrade to Avira Free Antivirus 2011, the installer will scan for software compatibility and will declare Comodo Antivirus, Comodo Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials incompatible, recommending you to remove them.

If you go with the next steps, the installer will uninstall the old version and will try to install the new one. As a result, Microsoft Security Essentials will stop it and declare it as a Backdoor threat! Bye-bye Avira antivirus (for aggressive marketing, I guess). Be polite with your host .

Very funny!

Vasi

EDIT
----

A second trial in installing is successful.Edited by vasi 2011-10-25
Beyound Arduino Lang

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024