Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:46 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Hydrogen from Sunlight w/ cheap alloys

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 08:23pm 31 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I Like this!

A new Target for Big Oil cross hairs
Would be impossible to market this if it works at all!!
Cheers, Roe
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

electrondady1

Posted: 01:19pm 02 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

this stuff will disappear, never to be heard of again.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:38pm 02 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There's a company in Mackay that were working on a Hydrogen Battery. It's a container filled with a alloy powder. When you want to use it, you pour in a set quantity of water, close the lid, and it starts making hydrogen gas until the water is depleted or the powder is saturated with Oxygen.

Its then "discharged". To recharge it, I think they applied a electrical current, causing the powder to release the Oxygen.

You still need to put energy in to get the Hydrogen out of course, nothing is free. Its big advantage is it was a very safe way to transport hydrogen. The Hydrogen is stored as water, and turned into hydrogen when its needed.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 04:43am 03 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen.

Generating Hydrogen directly from Sunlight with cheap materials would be the Fuel of the Star Trek Generation.
No material is sacrificed as a catalyst or used as a storage medium.
Just drop your little hunk of alloy in the well or pond and set fire to the Bubbles.
Edit; A little Sunshine would help! EE
The Italics below are excerpts from the article at this web link,
[http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/206600/20110831/alloy-can-p roduce-hydrogen-from-sunlight.htm ]
(( IF This is copyright infringement please Delete))--Roe]

Scientists have determined that an inexpensive semiconductor material can be tweaked" to generate hydrogen from water using sunlight
The team demonstrated that an alloy formed by a two percent substitution of antimony in gallium nitride has electrical properties that enable solar light energy to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen through a process known as photoelectrochemical water splitting. The researchers found that when the alloy is submerged in water and exposed to sunlight, the chemical bond between the hydrogen and oxygen molecules break, allowing the hydrogen to be collected separately.
That antimony-gallium nitride alloy can be used to convert solar energy into an affordable carbon-free source for hydrogen is incredibly impressive, the researchers said.

------------Cheers, Roe
Edited by Greenbelt 2011-09-04
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024