Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:10 15 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : New home?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:31am 15 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well it looks like I've found a new home. After 2 years of living in suburban rentals, today I signed a contract on 12 acres of land. I have to wait till early next week before its confirmed, there is a sunset contract in place for another buyer, and they are given the oportunity to go unconditional, so wont give details at this stage.

But, with any luck, it will be mine in a few weeks. Open land, slight gradient, about 10 meters all up at a guess. Open pasture in most directions, GREAT for wind turbines!
There is a permanent creek, flowing, about a bucket of water every 2 seconds. Estimated drop of 1.5 meter for 200 meters across the block. Maybe a small hydro, or a water ram, depending on the season, will watch it for a year before deciding what to do with it.
No power connected, but 3 phase runs past the front gate. Mainly grassland, few rocks, no trees to talk of, blank sheet of paper.

It's going to cost me every cent I have and will leave me broke, but I can borrow against it in a few months to get a shed and 2nd hand house in place. Better give the ride on mower a service

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

windlight
Guru

Posted: 05:40am 15 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Fingers crossed for you Glenn.
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

vasi

Guru

Posted: 08:10am 15 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If is the best place for you then I wish you to be yours. How you will continue to host "TheBackShed" ?

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:05pm 15 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Vasi

If I cant get ADSL ( not likely but you never know ), I'll move it to a friends place and pay for their internet, or move it to a hosting service.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:25pm 15 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

Great to here you have a suitable property sounds great and permanent water even in small quantities is a real bonus. You can get a subsidized satellite connection and if you go for the commercial grade one it is reasonably fast.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 10:09pm 15 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good on You Glenn ,, best of luck .

We had family out Biddeston way with dairy cattle and some sort of wheat.barley fields. Every time I go out there (twice in 50 years,lol.) I really wish I had bought ..

Bruce.
Bushboy

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 12:56am 16 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
Well best of luck on securing that property mate, now if you can't get broadband there as bob said you might be able to get a sat rebate. Now in November the second round of the Sat NBN rollout is on the cards, so if you are eligible for a sat rebate get onto Skymesh and register as soon as you can. It does seem the eastern states have the over us in SA and over in the west so if only sat is available that could be your best option.

Regards Bryan

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 02:36am 16 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

HI Glen

Hopeful this will work out for you, I had to google the Sunset clause to understand what conditions applied to the purchase.
It souns like the would be Buyer has not completed the purchase as yet and has a few more days to complete the deal, if he does not then, the clause allows him to walk away without penalties.
There is a pretty good chance that the buyer will do just that since he has not made the effort to close the sale.
12 acres will allow you think in Kilowatts rather than watts. Big Mills and many solar panels.
I visualize an aurora of purple over your homestead as the atmosphere Ionizes from many flux sourses.
Good luck to you.--------Cheers Roe.
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

norcold

Guru

Posted: 05:23am 16 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Along with Sat broadband if your not in mobile phone reach you may also be entitled to a subsidy on a sat mobile, costs(outlay & time) dropping all the time as they become popular.
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 01:50pm 16 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

HI Glen

Well best of luck on buying suitable property if the deal went through and dont forgot get a couple of cows to mow the grass for you. As you asked me before, the cows do a great job cleaning up on my five acre land. If you need a couple of cows, just send a PM as I know a farmer near my place selling many calves for a reasonble cost
All the best Dwyer

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:36am 20 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well that was a tense few days. The existing contract has been terminated and my contract has come into play. Unless the solicitor searches find anything wrong ( soil contamination, road planned, etc ), it will be mine in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the suggestions. There is OK mobile reception out there, 1 bar but we made some test calls and no dropouts. At my old place I used a 3G yagi aerial with good results for my internet, so will do the same here.

It will be months before I can live there, but the thing I'm looking forward to the most is building windmills again

Glenn
JAQ

windlight
Guru

Posted: 02:49am 20 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

well done Glenn, looking forward to you documenting your new experiences, I do miss my wind turbines, somehow watching solar panels is not the same.

Allan
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 10:06am 20 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn
Don't forget to ask your solicitor about the mining company if they start digging a hole near your area. Also bore water if it is safe to drink and make sure your land is far away from a busy road or highway so all the best of luck on buying suitable property
from Dwyer Family

Trev

Guru

Posted: 04:01am 25 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well done Glenn,
Hope all is good?

I used to have Skymesh satellite broadband. Some what slower than the rate they claim. Drops out with cloud or anything in the sky blockking satellites. It anooyed me many times. In the middle of some business and the connection drops out.

We now have wireless with a 2 foot aerial on the roof. It drops out some time too, but not as often.

All the best

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024