Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:38 15 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Ripped Toff

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 04:09am 26 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

I received this warning from a friend and because it has happened to me once i thought it was worth passing on.

The big retailers particularly the supermarkets do not automatically hand you a receipt anymore if the sale is under $30. you must ask for it…

CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT

An associate bought a heap of stuff the other day while on holidaying in Melbourne (over $450), & when he glanced at his receipt as the cashier was handing him the bags. He saw cash out of $20.

He told her He didn't request any cash and to delete it. She said he'd have to take the $20 because she couldn't delete it.

He told Her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came and said he'd have to take it.. he said “NO Bloody way!”

Because taking the $20 would be a “cash advance” against his Credit card and he wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!!

If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order.

So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order and re-scan everything!

The second time he looked at the electronic pad before he pinned in his number and again cash-back of $20 popped.

At that point he told the cashier and she deleted it. The total then came out right.

The cashier said that the Electronic Pad must be defective. Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered him any cash after either of the transactions.

Can you imagine how many people went through before him and by the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

His wife went into a “Coles Supermarket ” last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her
along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for the receipt and the cashier seemed annoyed but gave it to her.

She didn't look at her receipt until later that night when back at their Hotel. The receipt showed that she had asked for $20 cash. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR ANY CASH, NOR WAS SHE GIVEN IT!

So she called “Coles” who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money.

When she spoke with a friend who works for one of the banks; she was told that this was a “new scam” and the cashiers carry out the scam when it is very busy so that people either don't ask for their receipts or don't look at them until they have left the store and most of the time they don't check it until they get home.

The cashier will key in that you asked for cash and then hand it to one of her friends when they next come through the check-out queue.

This is NOT limited to Coles; they are just one of the largest retailers so have the most incidents.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one?????

To make matters worse .... THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

IT COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE. CHECK YOUR RECEIPT BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT. ........

..CHECK YOUR RECEIPT!!!!!.

I've since seen people do just that….. SO NOW I'LL START!

PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, KIDS, - let’s not get ripped off.

Foolin Around

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 05:10am 26 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYO

Hi Bob,
Thanks for that post, I Was the victim of an attempted Rip off at a Wall mart store where the Cashier charged the full price on a $30 shirt that was marked 20% off, I had purchased other items at the same time and would probably not have noticed it. But I had enough cash to buy the items I chose without writing a check or using a Credit Card. I had mentally calculated the price and taxes but came up short by a couple $'s
That's $6 for her pocket. She acted as if it was an honest mistake and apologized.
Maybe, Maybe Not? There is no way to Know But I suspect she has a better take Home Pay
than other Clerks in the Store!.

Sorry about the Fire In your Shed, would have posted something sooner but Didn't know what to say to make anything better but I feel your Loss, I was looking forward to see the LG in action. O'well another time maybe.

--------Cheers, RoeEdited by Greenbelt 2011-09-27
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 06:39am 26 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Eh Bob,
Go find that Bob Katter's email and send to him, if you ain't seen him with with personal gripe against the big 2 then this will be fodder for him. It is about time this duopoly should be exposed to to what they really upto before it too late and what the bet that extra $20 put on isn't the workers fault but a scam by management to increase charges. Why else would they refuse to give receipt's ???????

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 06:55am 26 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Roe & Bryan1

Sometimes it could be a real mistake but the software that does the till seems to have it built in, just another way to make a buck I think. It has happened to be in both woolies and Coles the big two.

Fire in the shed Roe, was a bit of a loss but not as bad as if it got away, it would have cleaned me out. The LG was on the bench for final assembly and got a right cooking up, the plastic mold holding the windings started to melt and the termination block was burnt off, the bearing housing and the rotor are OK so I am trying to source a new set of windings or another motor so we may see it up and running eventually. Trouble is the part number for the windings is burnt off and trying to get a spare without a part number is like getting common sense out of a politician.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024