Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:30 15 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Mellaluca--- Leaf Tea & Oil

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 06:31am 30 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,
I have a curiosity about a shrub or small tree that grows in Queensland.
There is a company here in Idaho that owns or leases large areas in Australia to Farm this bush named Mellaluca.
They market this oil collected from the leaves as a first aid treatment for burns,cuts and bruises. they have Hand lotion, Hand Soap, Shampoo, and many things containing this oil in various strength.
What is the Local take on this?

--------Cheers, Roe
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:16am 30 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Roe,
Basically the oil from the Mellaluca is tea tree oil so that should narrow your search on it.

Cheers Bryan

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:42pm 30 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Roe

It is good stuff alright but promoted a bit past it's actual capabilities.

Bob
Foolin Around

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 03:15pm 30 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan1-VK4AYO,
Thank you kindly for the response.
-----Cheers, Roe

norcold

Guru

Posted: 09:52pm 30 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Our farming area has many acres of tea tree grown commercially for the oil, which initially like Bob pointed out was very much overpromoted. Partically by company farms and their directors etc. Fortunately they have all gone bust and local family farms grow the crop commercially. The oil is floated off the tea tree cuttings in a boiler type arrangement(right down Macgiver`s alley) , the tea tree is harvested by a harvester setup that is similar to a cane harvester.
I apologise(re fortunately) for any employee`s and their families who worked for these initial companies, they lost their livelihood through no fault of their own but actions from high flyers.(and I could go on for pages about these destroying leaches)

Can get you more info from the "ground" if you so desire but please take little note of a lot of the hype on the net. Tea tree oil has many benifits particularily as a antiseptic and cleaning agent(dettol on a tree), the original inhabitants of Aussie probably used this native bush-tree for many centuries.
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 05:51am 01 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

norcold

I didn't elaborate much in the original post and didn't convey the real question clearly.
I once signed up with a company whose offices are in Idaho Falls, Idaho. US.
Who markets the Mellaluca oil and other products containing the oil.
I attended several meetings or seminars where people would testify to the highly unusual healing effects of this natural oil.
One lady who testified was probably in her middle 60's , She stated that at age 19 she
became infected with a virus of the type that breeds huge sores. The old treatment for this was boric acid. I don't recall the name of this ailment but my Grandmother had it when I was a Kid. sometimes one of the sores would dry up and go away but another would crop up somewhere else. My grandma was never free of this.
This lady was 52 years old when she tried the tree tea oil. in 2 months of treating those open sores they all went away and did not ever return. I was impressed, 30 years of torture relieved in 2 months. That was one story,
Another was an auto accident where fire had severely burned a 10 year old boy.
The doctor did not want snake oil used on the burns but his mom had burned her hand rather badly with hot water some time before that, and she used the oil on it with great results The doctor told her that the boys face and neck would always be scarred so Mom used the snake oil lavishly, The burns healed quick and left no scars.

I was a little reluctant to buy this load of ?? but some of it sounded for real?
I have used several of their products and i would say they are probably better than any other I have used. Cuts and small burns seem to fade awayin couple hours.
My wife Doesn't like the sharp odor But I'm Weird I kind of like it.
I wanted to get some OZ opinion of the Merits of it since you all live in the area where it grows and would have a lifetime of exposure to its uses .
Thanks for the post. I'm glad the locals are getting some benefit from the crop.
-----------Cheers, Roe

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 07:43am 01 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Roe

I use it a lot for various things around house and in the workshop, it is the best penetrating oil I have ever found, rub it on the dog and no more fleas put it n the water to wash the floor and it repels insects, very good for cuts and small sores and burns, used it 50 / 50 with lighting Kero to heal cuts in horses and humans as well. Some on the socks gets rid of foot rot smell. Rub into hair for itchy scalp. Never tried on big burns but would think it would help.

I buy it by the bottle $8 for 250 cc at the supermarket.
Think the sores you refer to is shingles, not the roof type.

Mixed with mutton fat it heals cracked hands from handling cement.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

norcold

Guru

Posted: 08:21am 01 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Roe,
There is fairly firm evidence that tea tree oil mixed into the cooling water towers of large office, hospitals etc. air conditioning plants, halts Legionaires disease. Our local PO Mistress mixes it with her floor wash leaving a very refreshing odour, even a blind man knows he`s in the PO. Cambells soaps of Aussie have mixed it into their soaps for around a century. I know some cattle station owners who use it diluted with water, it not only helps in flea control but assists in the control of a sort of mange that cattle dogs are susceptable to. It is without doubt a great natural remedy for some dermititis in humans.
I got off the track a little in my first post because I seen the effect overzealous marketing did to a great useful product, that effect caused a flooding of the market and thus a low price that it could not be grown for, this in turn caused the failure of some family farms that had grown it for many years along of course with the company farms who sold the oil off below production cost to try and recover.
Another great natural product is lime juice, I enjoy a couple of drops squeezed out of a fresh lime in a nice cold beer XXXX, Fosters or any. Just plugging another local product, trust Glenn doesn`t hit me with advertising fees.
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

windlight
Guru

Posted: 10:15am 01 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

very useful product.

allan of the jungle
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 02:02am 02 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you all Very much,
one ounce of the oil here is around $12 and I believe its worth it.
A little Dab will do Ya, lasts a long time.
You have answered my question very well. ------Cheers, Roe

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024