Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:30 15 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : "Best" virus/trojan combo wanted

domwild
Guru

Posted: 03:35am 06 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Friends,

First my apologies as I have dumped a lot of PC problems into your laps only to find that millions of other users in Google had the same problem and there was no need to contact you.

This time it is probably different: Have downloaded a 2005 (?) copy of Zonealarm for Windows XP (SP2) PC and was impressed by it. Bought it for AUS$20 and got a friend with broadband to download the 52.7 MB copy of Zonealarm PRO. The install failed every time. Uninstalled Zonealarm PRO. My suspicion is that the new copy did not cleanly uninstall the old copy.

Lots of problems since and cannot, like 3.5 mio. hits with other users on Google tell me, access the internet any more. Every connection to a site times out and made my PC useless. At the moment I have asked for my money back; will let you know.

Now the question: Either free or purchased, what is a good virus checker/popup blocker/firewall connection, which you can recommend? If I go into Google I get all the sales talk and no friendly recommendations from practitioners like you.

And another one: As Windows already has a firewall, do I still need a second firewall, which most likely comes with the checker?

Am writing this on my notebook with Windows 7 but wish to get my XP PC to be fully protected, if possible. May have to reload the bl.... thing from backups to get the internet back.

Help! Thanks in advance.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:49am 06 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are 3 lines of defence as I see it.

First up, the connection to the internet. Most modern routers have some form of firewall built in to protect against the common threats, plus you can add additional rules, but only if you know what you are doing.

Next up, software. I use the Windows built in firewall, its more than good enough for me. For antivirus, I now swear by Microsofts own antivirus program "Microsoft Security Essentials", you can download it from the Microsoft site. Its runs quietly in the background, and has a small CPU footprint, compared to other commerical products, plus its free. Also, keep the OS updated, no matter if its Microsoft, Linux, Apple, whatever, all are vunerable if not updated.

Third, brains. Common sense. Surfing the internet is like walking down a back street in a big city, you have to be street smart, know what to look out for and dont trust ANYTHING new. Always treat the internet with misstrust.

I use the above and havn't had a virus/trojan/etc for many years now, cant remember the last one.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

windlight
Guru

Posted: 03:55am 06 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am in my second year of ca first year was OK this year is far to intrusive, it does what it wants, could not recommend this company, and I paid for it.

Like Dom the internet is full of others having problems, the company seems to be un- contactable.

Allan
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

Barry T Coles

Posted: 04:41am 06 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use Avira free anti virus & found it good; easy to down load & I set it to update at every start up so I have the latest at all times.

Son inlaw (Computor Scientist) recomended it & uses it himself.

Avira

Cheers
Barry
I need to learn from the mistakes of others.
I dont have the time to make them all myself.

domwild
Guru

Posted: 07:19am 06 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Glenn, Barry and Allan. Good suggestions and I certainly do not mind paying for the updates. First I have to get the XP PC running again.

Under "Zone Alarm Problems" in Google I found a possible answer to my problems, which even necessitates using "regedit" to change the register contents.

If Zone Alarm does not refund the money, then they will have to contend with a few nasty blogs and eBay is also going to hear about it.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

AMUN-RA

Posted: 08:33am 06 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

dom I have used CA for years now and have never had a problem though you pay for it it works for me

Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024