Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:24 15 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Another storm another computer

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 07:26am 09 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Caught Again

Murphy Strikes Again

Well the storm on the 8th got my good computer, it was turned off but not unplugged and a lightning strike on its phase let out the magic smoke, I do not know what the magic smoke is made out of but it smells bad.

I thought with it turned off and the power board isolated it would be OK what a fool, the pulse arced through the power board and cooked the computer, my computer savvy mate tells me now that the power is into the power supply even if it is turned off as the switch on the computer only works to turn on the power supply. Another wise in hind sight event.

Now the only computer working is the laptop with Win 7 and that's a dead set pain in the arse.

If it was raining blonde film stars I would get hit by Lassie.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

philb

Posted: 06:14pm 09 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob, sometimes I think Murphy has taken up residence with you. Stop feeding him. Maybe he will go away.

I agree with your comment about Win 7. I have to learn it for work though. I'm getting a new desk top and laptop with Win 7 already installed and ready to plunder my files. I still have my copy of Damned Small Linux when I get in a bind and really need to get something done. It will run in Windows.
I am learning to unplug anything I want to keep from the socket. Your experiences are reinforcing that. Sometimes I forget and I get hit by Lassie.
philb

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:30pm 10 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Philb

I think I will have to go back to the full independent isolation system with sine inverter running off 12 volts and the only power connection is a 4 amp battery charger for battery float and charge during no sun events.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

powerednut

Posted: 07:48am 11 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi bob, you can probably pick up a replacement power supply for about $30 or so. That might be enought to get you up and running again.

talk to your local computer store, unless its harvey norman or somebody of the like.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:53pm 11 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi powerednut

I will get my local serviceman to have a look, as it is covered by insurance, I need a inspection certificate frpm him for a claim, so maybe he could res-erect it, but I see a lot of brown on motherboard so it may well be cooked as well.

The big problem is to get a new one with XP Pro on it as nobody stocks them any more.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

philb

Posted: 01:16pm 12 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob,
I bought a laptop sometime ago with Vista as the operating system. I bought a copy of XP Pro and installed it over Vista after I booted up with a boot cd and formatted the drive. I'm still using it on a daily basis. XP runs fast on machines made for vista and Win 7. There are also some boot and nuke sites that have programs that can wire the drive so even Linux cant see a thing. Good luck.
philb

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:50am 13 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

HI PHILB

I tried that with mine but when it gets to the end of the installation it blue screens with the message it shut down to prevent damage to the computer. I have tried to load linux as well but it does the same thing, I think it has a lock in the bios to prevent loading other programs.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024