Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:56 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : MERCURY IN GLOBES

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:00pm 19 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

HI ALL

I received the following from my daughter who works for the MRB in Brisbane, They are very graphic in nature but could be a warning for us now and in the future.

2011-10-20_075715_Health_&_Safety_Warning_-_energy_saving_bu lbs.pdf

2011-10-20_075803_Mercury_Exposure.pdf

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

windlight
Guru

Posted: 10:26pm 19 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very good advice Bob, but there should also be a warning that these bulbs are a wealth hazard, they don't last very long particularly when turned on and off regularly.

Allan in soggy FNQ 222 mm of rain in 3 days and still counting.
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:49am 21 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Allan

You guys up there are in for a good wet season by the look of it, just do not go sleep walking.

I tried one of the CFL globes to see how long it would last and it ran full time for 3 years but didn't try the on off cycling test, the one in my office lamp generally lasts around a year and a half, next time it goes out I will try a LED one to see if its better.

After reading about the mercury thing I was a bit worried about CFL and have ordered some 249 volt LED replacements.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

norcold

Guru

Posted: 09:31pm 23 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the fruit packing sheds they(CFLs) have to be covered and protected to stop them being accidently broken and thus contaminate the fruit. That is part of the fresh fruit registration that is required to sell fruit.An auditor visits compulsory once a year and can make random checks whenever. Next time you buy a piece of fruit a little of the price goes to that, amplifying the wealth hazard again and so it goes on.
Hey Allan send just a wee bit of that rain inland please. Most inconvenient of you fellows to order that much rain when a dry inland bloke wants to come down and catch a barra before the season closes. I catch bugger all so get it turned off eh!!!! Pleeeeeeese.
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

windlight
Guru

Posted: 10:58pm 23 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What annoys me about the fancy bulbs is they do get turned on and off a lot to preserve battery power, least when I am around, Blondie left on her own turns the house into a lighthouse, I know next morning when I look at the battery SOC.

Vic are you sure when you put in an order for rain you marked the right district, those cane farmers down Innisfail way seemed to have copped a triple allocation. Mostly fine and sunny here, some O/N showers, just about perfect I would say.

Allan coastal dweller, and hogger of rain
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024