Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:01 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Forum postings

James_From_Canb

Posted: 06:18pm 01 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can the BackShed forum rules be changed so that the poster who initiates a discussion has the access rights to edit the initial posting?

That way, when a problem is resolved, the poster could summarise the solution in the initial posting and save other readers having to read through a couple of pages of discussion.

Just a thought..

James
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles (1974)

jman

Guru

Posted: 06:19pm 01 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great idea

John

sparkey

Posted: 07:16pm 01 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yes i agree
technicians do it with least resistance

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:07pm 01 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Originally the forum would let any member edit their posts at any time, but this was abused. Some members were editing their posts long after they were first posted. Images were removed and details changed, which meant any postings following didn't make any sense.

Fred posted: "Bill is an idiot."
Joe posted: "No he isn't!"
Fred changes his original post to: "Fred is a nice guy."

Thats why I changed it so you can only edit your post if no one else has replied. And as a business software developer, I like paper trails. It also means members think about what they are posting, knowing it may be there for all time.

What may be possible is a way for the original poster ( thread starter ) to add dated comments to the end of their original post? How does that sound?

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

sparkey

Posted: 11:10pm 01 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

sounds good to me glenn ...regards sparkey...///...///

donmck

Guru

Posted: 11:11pm 01 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said   Originally the forum would let any member edit their posts at any time, but this was abused. Some members were editing their posts long after they were first posted. Images were removed and details changed, which meant any postings following didn't make any sense.

Fred posted: "Bill is an idiot."
Joe posted: "No he isn't!"
Fred changes his original post to: "Fred is a nice guy."

Thats why I changed it so you can only edit your post if no one else has replied. And as a business software developer, I like paper trails. It also means members think about what they are posting, knowing it may be there for all time.

What may be possible is a way for the original poster ( thread starter ) to add dated comments to the end of their original post? How does that sound?

Glenn

Sounds over-perfect to me Glenn.

Cheers Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

James_From_Canb

Posted: 11:21pm 01 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just what we need.

Thanks

James
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles (1974)

sparkey

Posted: 04:18am 02 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

when i got onto this site i thought that it was worthy of people having a genuine
intell to not be botherd with political crap and generally it is ...but when you get caught up in narcissism and it just rueins the whole experience of the prospherous advantages of this forum...///

for with responseabilty comes an awarenes that one must not abuse....and
necessity is the mother of invention and some say that:purpose motivates people..
on thev other hand with out motovation there is no purpose so one must be wise as to use the forum the way it was intended..../// Edited by sparkey 2011-11-03

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 05:03am 02 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think when it comes to "Hobbyist electronics" like Silicon Chip articles, changing the design to suit your own purposes would be enough to make the design yours. But something that I did pick up on during my business management subjects was intellectual property. That is the idea of the project and what it does, rather than how it does it.
This is an interesting point, and something that could have the potential to cause issues. But one would think that an article like something from Silicon Chip (or simular) would be waving such rights as it is being placed into the public domain. As opposed to a private company which would take out a patent or copyright for example.

I maybe barking up the wrong tree here, but it makes sense to me.
And I'm no expert!!
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

ArtBecker

Posted: 05:43am 02 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would be thrilled if the ignore function was enabled.

That way I could automatically ignore the very few members who post inane drivel in virtually every thread, and thus be able to concentrate on getting useful information.

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 05:47am 02 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK6MRG said   I think when it comes to "Hobbyist electronics" like Silicon Chip articles, changing the design to suit your own purposes would be enough to make the design yours. But something that I did pick up on during my business management subjects was intellectual property. That is the idea of the project and what it does, rather than how it does it.
This is an interesting point, and something that could have the potential to cause issues. But one would think that an article like something from Silicon Chip (or simular) would be waving such rights as it is being placed into the public domain. As opposed to a private company which would take out a patent or copyright for example.

I maybe barking up the wrong tree here, but it makes sense to me.
And I'm no expert!!

SORRY ARTBECKER, I posted to the wrong topic.

Monkey?!Edited by VK6MRG 2011-11-03
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 06:36am 03 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think the forum is going OK the way it is -- if you don't want to read something ,give it a miss .

Just don't touch the jokes window , it keeps me alive -

warped bruce ...
Bushboy

ArtBecker

Posted: 07:49am 03 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, Bruce, you just helped me make my point.

sparkey

Posted: 07:20pm 04 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

well glenn we can all have our sy but in the end its up to you and there are forum codes that can only be changed by you so ..generally you have the say ,,..thats all i`m saying i dont know if there are factors that i dont even know about but this is my say ...regards sparkey...,,,..///..///

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024