Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:41 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : groceries in OZ

windlight
Guru

Posted: 07:57am 06 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As a residence of far north Queensland I do not expect the best of groceries but, from "the fresh food people" in Mossman we have had eggs that well lets say when cracked are black!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not sure when I will be able to eat an egg again.

We will make the effort and travel into Port Douglas next shopping day to use Coles, not sure if we will be any better off but!!!!!!!!!!! At least it is considered a higher socio economic area.

It is very sad that OX farmers can no longer compete with imports.Hopefully I will not live long enough to be poisoned by "imports', product of NZ, imported from China.,

Oh and a can of pineapple "black and gold' was sooo ripe as to be spew!!!!!! so I guess that is IGA out of the picture, I may add not canned in OZ.

Allan
Edited by windlight 2011-11-07
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:43pm 06 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Allan

Up where you are you should be able to do your own thing with F and V, get in practice as we will be needing it soon unless you want to survive on Chinese NZ frozen imports and fruit all the way from China. Time to be self sufficient even if it means a few bush turkeys go missing.

You should be growing your own pineapples and other tropic fruit, or find someone in the area that is and do a bit of barter.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

windlight
Guru

Posted: 02:02pm 06 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob veggies well under way, pineapples too oh and bananas and passionfruit but it seems like we will need chooks to boot, we gave up farming for those very reasons. just think what will happen when scotch comes from China!!!!!!

Allan of the currently wet jungle, and about time, it is a rain forest, apparently.
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:20pm 06 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Allan

It can be done and will be essential in the future, and you can ferment the left over fruit and make your own NQ Joy Juice. Some I made was good enough to run the generator in emergency. Chooks are good for the garden and just grow some extra corn and beetroot for food for them to avoid the chemical laced commercial products. Hardest thing is keeping out the snakes and goanas, and maybe the local hippies.

You rain forest has returned with a vengeance from what I hear.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

windlight
Guru

Posted: 02:27pm 06 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob we have always had chooks, but you are right how to keep the pythons out is a challenge up here, at the moment I am off eggs completely, so problem solvered.

Allan sitting outside at midnight, does it get any better, OK alone would be better.

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 03:17pm 17 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi
The commercial chicken feed here in the U.S of Obamba is going out of sight A 50 lb bag of scratch feed is $14.00 laying mash is $1.00 more a bag.
I see a auction report of hay for $320.00 a ton!!!
Hard times ahead
Isaiah
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:15pm 17 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Soon have to eat the chook feed and let the chooks fend for themselves.

Bob
Foolin Around

windlight
Guru

Posted: 12:04am 18 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Last foray into town we went right into Port Douglas to Coles for a grocery shop, now we should have enough until new year.

Anyway, they are not (at this stage) pushing their home brand as much as Woolworths, the whole shop cost less than the grog, and they have their eggs in a refrigerated section, so maybe I am back onto eggs. Oh and being a tourist area the eye candy was not all that shabby either.

All in all these duopoly's conduct their stores according to their impression of the socio economics of the area, a fact I am aware of, so for now it is worth the extra 10 Min drive to the Port.

Oh and on the vegie side I found this site which is applicable to my area, as not to re-invent the wheel I have been doing some reading tropical vegies

Have been having a little fun of late helping a mate with his micro hydro, a small 4" pelton (he now knows he will need a bigger one) but since he owns it we will use it for now. This we have fitted to a F&P motor, had great fun yesterday squaring it all up since there is only 10 though clearance between rotor and stator, at best.

Every time I made an adjustment in the gap, think a coke can shim, as I was about to check with the feeler gauge he would spin it, GRRRRRRRRR.

Anyway once all was complete a spin with the drill came up with slightly over 2 RPM/Volt, so his job now is making a solid spacer (plus probably a few shims) , to replace all those washers.

He has static 47 PSI, 134 L/m @ 24 PSI, his quaint use of imperial and metric, by my ready reckoner, based on how fast the condensation runs down the glass between drinks, a method that starts out accurate but looses the accuracy somewhat after a few glasses, I came up with around 400 Watts.

I know someone posted on here graphs of RPM to V for F&P's but like that next drink it is somewhat elusive.

Anyway it's probably about time I went and mowed the lawn because I recon we are in for about a week of rain, up to now it has been scooting way north of us high up the cape. So block your ears as the ride on has a Brigs in it and we all know they are absolute crap. I have worn many motors out in my working life, all of them Honda's, one has never been able to keep a Brigs running long enough to wear it out.

Allan from my jungle home

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024