Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:01 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Curiosity on its way.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:00am 27 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Launch time was just after 1am here, sat up and watched it live. Good job fella's.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html

The Atlas 5 is proving a good workhorse, nice combination of Russian and USA space technology.

Still a long way to go for the new rover. August next year it arives I think.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

norcold

Guru

Posted: 08:09pm 27 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just doesn`t seem to be the same amount of interest in Space as there was back before we went to the moon. I remember watching those launches with excitement, is it because Mars does not appeal to people as the Moon did or are we a fickle lot controlled completely by today`s media spin?
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

mac46

Guru

Posted: 10:34pm 27 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Talking about space and space missions is almost the same thing as talking about politics and politicians.
To my knowledge no one as answered the question of why we canceled the last three Apollo missions.
We need to explore the heavens, thats for sure, but we need to get back to the moon asap.

Regards,

Mac46
I'm just a farmer

powerednut

Posted: 01:40am 28 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'll start getting excited when they start doing manned missions to other planets, or even the moon again.

norcold

Guru

Posted: 09:39am 28 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mac46,
I can understand as you are located in America and America being at the forefront of Space exploration, it is a political hot potato. As an Aussie I look on with wonder at these achievements and thank you Americans for footing the massive bills of Space exploration that have been borne by Amercian taxpayers, for the betterment of the whole world.
I hope all goes well with Curiosity and will watch on with much interest. The people involved with this mission deserve the worlds full support, can only imagine their ansiety and apprehension as she speeds away on her mission.
Edited by norcold 2011-11-29
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

mac46

Guru

Posted: 10:28am 28 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

norcold, Hello,

Yes, this Curiosity mission is one of the more expensive missions...I've read that its about the same as buying a "order out pizza," for each adult tax payer here in the states, but well worth it in my openion. I'd be up for purchaseing a few more pizza's besides, provideing at least one goes to the moon.

Mac46

I'm just a farmer

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:48am 28 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There was a news conference after the launch, and one reporter questioned the need to spend so much money on a mission to mars. The answer was pretty good. He said missions like these inspire people to take up science and engineering, which is true, I got into electronics because I was fascinated as a kid at the Viking lander missions.

And he said Nasa doesn't spend the money on Mars, they spend it on Earth. Good point, one space mission employs thousands of people through hundreds of businesses, it gives them jobs, and money to take home to their family. And not only in the USA, the rocket engines are made in Russia, employing Russian people, the signals are monitored in Africa and Australia, etc. We all benefit from this sort of endeavor. I'll bet there are even parts made in China!

Plus it's our instinct to ask questions, to explore. Whats over that hill?

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

mac46

Guru

Posted: 11:29pm 28 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Glenn,

Very well put..."we all benefit", and I was also so inspired and interested in electronics...but it was before it was called electronics it think. The systems back then were quite different than those of today. Remember "Sky Lab" ? How about the Red Stone rockets,? I should post a picture of my old "O scope", it'll give my age away, it has tubes inside.

Regards,

Mac46
I'm just a farmer

viatu3

Posted: 09:21am 29 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think Gizmo's comment is very good. The Mars mission makes jobs on earth and helps people to live. I think it's important to see what's going on in space, therefore I support missions like that. I'm not sure where it will lead us, but I think it's important never the less.

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 07:19pm 05 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen

Good Post.
---------------Cheers, Roe
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024