Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:50 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Clean mass air flow sensor (car)?

domwild
Guru

Posted: 10:59pm 21 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mitsubishi van with 100,000 km uses more petrol than before; could be old age BUT at Cheapauto I found a spray, which claims to clean the mass air flow sensor at the air filter.

The $25 can claims the air sensor should be cleaned as a dirty sensor causes a richer mixture. It is a large can and hopefully gets used in garages during the services.

As $25 is too much I wonder if anyone on the forum can suggest a non-corrosive spray, which will work just as well. I do not know how such a sensor works; I believe it could be a hot-wire system like those Finnish anemometers without moving parts.

I could be wrong here but I have always suspected that mechanics these days hook up the confuser to your car's electronics and check the airflow statistics and if the value is within range, do not even remove the air filter and clean it with compressed air.

The spray or liquid is not supposed to leave any residue.

Any suggestions or should I not bother anyway??

Thanks.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:11pm 21 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It depends on what type of air flow sensor the engine uses, there are several. Hot wire sensors are self cleaning, when you start the engine the wire is heated to white hot to clean off any dust, etc. Accoustic sensors use sound, and may give false readings with dust build up. But most cars use some form of O2 sensor in the exhaust as well, and run the engine in a closed loop, adjusting the mixture to suit.

What grade fuel do you usually run? If the cheap stuff, run a couple of tanks of the good stuff through it. Does anyone else use the car? Most computers will learn the driving habbits, so if a lead foot drives the car occasionally, it will richen up the mixture to give a more responsive engine. Tire pressures right? Not too much junk in the boot? When was it last serviced ( plugs, filters, etc )?

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

domwild
Guru

Posted: 02:18pm 22 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, Glenn. I use the cheaper 91 octane stuff and will use the 95 one. Are you telling me I am barking up the wrong tree here by picking on the sensor? Looks like it. I service the car regularly and my wife is not a lead foot.

You seem to be saying that if the sensor gets the airflow wrong, the other sensor in the exhaust pipe (and there is one) will correct the mistake.

dom

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

windlight
Guru

Posted: 08:56pm 22 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dom if you do need a spray that does not leave a residue, maybe contact cleaner will do the job.

allan.
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:03am 23 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dom

My car was running ruff and I found there was a slight build up og gum around the sensor holes on the butterfly a swift spray or two wit CRC and a wipe with a soft rag cleaned up the gum and made it run as smooth as ever.

I do not know if it used more fuel as I do not use it that much, I had problems wit previous car with unleaded fuel as it built up a varnish like skim on the injectors and inside the manifold.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

domwild
Guru

Posted: 05:55am 25 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the suggestions.

Winston Churchill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024