Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:37 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Winblows 7 dead and gone forever

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 08:12am 31 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Guys,
We with that 64 bit puter I made the psu finally died as none of the fans were working. The missus complained the puter was playing up so I went and had a look at it and in the bios it showed the cpu was 91C (ouch). Next it only showing 2 gig of ram in the bios so I tried taking one out to see if a ram stick was gone but each one worked. Finally I got the bios to see the 4 gig so tried to load winblows but as the missus said it just keeps going to check disk and never finishing.

As I do have a ubuntu 64 OS on their via wubi I tried to get into that but it said the NFTS filesystem is corrupt and can't load. Found mt trusty Knoppix disc only to find it's a 32 bit one and won't load on a 64 bit puter. I put my 64 bit version of Ubuntu in on live cd mode and it worked a treat. But as it was in livecd mode it wouldn't run the facebook games my missus likes to play as more recent flash files are needed.

Next tried the winblows 7 DVD only to find it saying as this is an OEM version the repair function WON'T work and my best option is to upgrade to winblow 7 pro. GO BLOODY FIGURE. MICROSUCKS should be subject to a class action for selling a product WITHOUT any support. If one thought winblow ME was bad this winblows 7 beats it hands down.....

My only hope now is to download the 64 bit version of Knoppix so I can save all the data off the 500 gig HD which will be several dvd's.... then winblows is gone forever on that 64 bit puter....

As the Knoppix 64 bit ISO is a 702 meg download and we only have 1.1 gig left on peak I will have to wait until the morning to download it.

Now how's this for a new years resoultion with our 64 bit puter the only stable OS will be linux as I REFUSE to spend ANYMORE hard earned $$$$ on another unstable OS from microsucks EVER AGAIN.....

Cheers Bryan

and happy new years guys....

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 09:28am 31 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hear Hear

Windows 7 should be summeraly executed.

I have a new laptop under my bed with 7 on ut andd it is staying there till I find out how to get linux or xp pro on it.

Bob
Foolin Around

Racingken

Posted: 03:42pm 31 Dec 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Brian1, in regards to your PC problems as I understand it it is a CPU problem and not an operating system/ hard drive problem. So you should be able to replace your CPU along with a new working Heat sink/fan and fix your problem.
I hope that this will help. Alternately you can also check that your hard drive is operating properly by swapping it out in another PC if you have one handy.

Most newer CPU's have Thermal shutdown protection, unless it's an older P4 or there abouts. In that case you may just need to replace the CPU and heat sink/ Fan.

Ken
Racingken

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 06:51am 01 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan1

Brian, You have Started My New Year with apprehension and a tender touch on the keys,?

Story;
My Daughter and Son in Law Gave me the Most expensive Gift for Christmas that I ever received, A Hewlett Packard Slimline Desktop with Windblows 7 Pro on a terabyte
Hard drive.and 4 gig of Ram, a Keyboard and Mouse. I Have a 22 Inch flat screen Acer Monitor, A good setup if the Magic Smoke stays in.
There's More,
A 4G wireless Modem and a year of internet service with Clearwire.

The signal strength is marginal here in the Trees but average out at 110 KB Sec.
Beats the heck out of the old 56K that normally run at 10-28.
I downloaded ( Google Earth )in 2 minutes with the wind blowing the tree limbs,
16 Meg's That's a first for this Guy.
Sorry your new Year started out this way, If your processor did short out it likely did corrupt the drive.

It may have a fuseable link to protect for high temps.
The company that makes the mother board should have info on processor requirements and on board protection.

Good luck with the rescue, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL ---------Cheers, Roe

Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:06pm 01 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Guy's,
Well I finally got that puter working again and YES winblows 7 did completely crash. I finally managed to get on and do a rollback to the start of Dec and gladly it worked. Burnt several DVD's and more to do today to ensure I won't lose anymore data. On bootup the chkdisk keeps coming up so it does look like the puter is is on the way out which does eem strange as it aint that old.

Cheers Bryan

domwild
Guru

Posted: 10:48am 06 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan,

Got to get the Missus to check for "Winblows" noise coming from the fans in future. If the Win no longer blows, she is a goner!

Good luck with Linux/Koppix, etc.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024