Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:03 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Philippines floods

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:06am 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

Just a few photos from the Philippines flood at cagayan de oro, my wife has relatives and friends there and many extended family.

Lucky her older sister was in Hospital in Cebu when this happened, most of her extended family have been accounted for although many are still classed as missing, with 2000 dead and as many missing it makes our Australian disaster seem small although it is no for the people directly affected and those that lost loved ones.

These are actual on the spot photos, and I left the graphic ones out.

This is the main street of the town.

All the water supply was washed aeay so no water for clean up.

House washed over the fence in town.

Total destruction was caused by the large amount of trees and logs washed through the town in a river of mud and debris.

This field was a village now totally washed out to sea

This family was found by the coast guard floating on the remains of their house several days later, they are alive but lost younger children.

This is an example of the logs that went through the region like battering rams and flattened anything they hit, the logs came from logging operations further up the valley and a saw mill that got washed away.

Young couple looking at the remains of their shop in the village.

Foundations of a friends house that was drowned with all family, the top is washed away and the debris blocked their escape.

In the relief centre and happy to be alive.

Looking for shoes that fit from donated shoes.

The relief effort, as with all disasters it brings out the best in people as many gave from their merger belongings.

When you see a event like this it makes you wonder what we would have had here in Brisbane if the Whivenhoe Dam had let go last year.

Foolin Around

windlight
Guru

Posted: 11:52am 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob I have a Facebook friend in the Philippines, they are having a bad time of it ATM.

A of J

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:32pm 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Allan

Makes our floods and destruction here seem insignificant, wife is back over there now looking for relatives and friends, our little farm and house survived it is just east of the main event. It will be full of relatives for a while till they get their lives on track.

Wife's first husband family had a preschool in the area looks like the whole lot ended up in the sea, might find out more this week.

Bob
Foolin Around

philb

Posted: 04:57pm 22 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is a bad one. The Philippines are used to large amounts of water, but not that much. I hope your wife's family are alright.
philb

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:03am 23 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Philb

She is over there resettling her sister and from what news I have we have lost a few extended family and some friends, she will be back next weekend so I hope to get the full story then, communications are nearly non existent from the area so haven't heard much so far.

All the best Bob
Foolin Around

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 04:16pm 23 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob,
I'm sorry that you and your family have personally been impacted by the tragedy,sadly many others to!Kind regards Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:09pm 23 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rastus

Thanks for the kind thoughts, there is a mighty relief effort over there but hampered by the destruction of most infrastructure and the general poverty of the country people. It makes the QLD year of disasters pale into insignificance.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024