Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:41 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : wet season

Page 3 of 3    
VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:09pm 04 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Allan

I like your diet corn, also you could have a manganese deficiency in the soil by the look of the leaves.

Bob
Foolin Around

windlight
Guru

Posted: 11:24pm 04 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob,

I agree with your manganise deficiency, plus it is just too hot for some vegetables during the wet, they try to mature too quick, corn growen during the dry was OK.

The first 12 months is just an experiment in what I can and can't and as you have sugest, sussing out the fertiliser ballance, I suspect this patch only had horse poo previously.

During the dry I was sucessful with carrots, beetroot, english spinage, beans, peas, potatos, leaks and any others I forgot. One thing I have learned is to raise the corn as seedlings then plant out, something likes the seads, maybe white tailed rats.

Vic

I will leave those green ants as long as they don't build a mansion, they should at least keep any mealy bug at bay, not that they matter so much when it's not a comercial crop. I have had one fruit off this vine so far and very nice to.

Glenn

Keep an eye on your letter box.

A of J
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:49pm 04 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Allan

Sounds like a real success story up there just a matter of learning what time suites what veggie. Down here it is to cold in the winter for much but spring and autumn is OK but the last two years the heat wave has knocked everything for a row.

I noticed yesterday that the citrus have decided to flower again so they may be adjusting their time clock to suit the seasons a bit.

my soil here is sand on top od sandstone and has taken a long time to get it going, as all the trace elements have been leached out so am playing with that and establishing a worm population as well.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

windlight
Guru

Posted: 01:35am 05 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob this K-Humate is a very good product for building up soil by increasing the microbial actuivity, not sure how small a container it comes in 20L may be the smallest.

A of J
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:16am 05 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Alan

Looks good, with a bit of boron spray added and some rock dolomite as my soil tends to be acidic.

I have been using seaweed concentrate and it is OK too but still needs some dolomite. I was running a test last year but the flood killed everything so that was a flop, this year the dry killed most things but now we got some rain it is shaping up better.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

windlight
Guru

Posted: 11:52am 08 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

windlight
Guru

Posted: 11:02pm 16 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well finally some rain, 3 1/2" up to 7 AM not a lot by Queensland standards but beats watering the garden, and it looks like another 3/4" in the last two hours, and the frogs are loving it.

Looks like I need to go down to the creek and clear the pipes without loosing the boards that had somehow blocked the pipes which was fortunate as it added a good foot to the swimming hole.

A of J

windlight
Guru

Posted: 06:56am 26 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

While my rain is still being stolen by members much farther south I have been happy with the performance of my solar system. The majority of the time generator run time is just for exercising the units, yesterday was an exception when I dried 3 loads of washing and only made 90% by days end.

Today I topped up the LS Lister's fuel tank, it took only 60 liters and was not full last time. I have budgeted 780L of diesel per year and doubt that I will go anywhere near that.

The LS series Lister I limit to 2Kw electrical load as this is an economical load fuel wise, I can adjust the generators maximum load with the inverter via my computer.

The LT1 series Lister that I cobbled together a few months ago also gets a run, it is limited to around 1 Kw, not programmable it is Allan matic on the governor screw, it just feeds onto the positive buzz.

On a different point when we first came here I could always smell gas, now I went over all pipe joins and fittings more than once to no avail, a bottle was lasting 2-2.5 months and @ $145/bottle is a bit steep. It is used for hot water and cooking.

One day I had one of my feeble brain far*s and looked very closely at the regulator, and found the culprit. So I bypassed the regulator with a BBQ regulator, OK it does not have auto change over but so what.

The bottle I placed into service after this retrofit has been going 4 months, now it is fair to say it came straight off the back of the agents truck. He is the local RACQ garage, old battery collector, vege oil collector and melts down battery lead to make sinkers for sale, he also uses gas for this task.

When feeding the fish yesterday I noticed some muddy water on one side of the creek only (yes we had a little rain) closer inspection revealed a previously unnoticed smaller side creek coming in.

Upon thunking some, it makes sense as there is a seasonal creek at the entrance to my southern neighbors and the RACQ on their southern side.

One thing that annoys me is this bracken fern, I slashed some down a few months ago only to have it replaced by Singapore daisy, another blo*dy weed.

I now have a rope across the creek so when I need to cross it in flood I can hang on if necessary, could come in very handy if I run out of grog, although the pub is in receivership so who knows.

Rain clouds keep forming and doing a disappearing act.

This is the LS series Lister's shed, the lean too on the end is a bit sus, not sure how a cyclone will treat that, but it did survive the last BIG ONE albeit it only sideswiped this area.

Anyway it's past 4 O'clock so time for a few squirts.

A of J

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:25am 26 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Allan

Looks like a nice place to fool around, love the crik has the mermaid returned.

Bob
Foolin Around

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024