Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:49 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Flying fox and bats

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:19pm 05 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just wondering , any of you had success in getting rid of a flying fox or bat (I don't know the difference) that hangs around and poo's under the house .. Must only be the one little fella, as there are 10-15 poo's to vacumm up every morning ..

Bruce
Bushboy

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:32pm 05 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce

A few years ago I saw a little ultra sonic repeller for rats a friend had hooked uo to protect his fruit trees it seemed to help until the battery went flat, but under the house it could run on a power pack, worth a try.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 03:05am 09 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bob ..

Today I went to masters ,the opposition to Bunnings .. I bought a "Sonic-Guard" for $25. Looks a fairly good product -ultrasonic insect repellant -240 v full time operation ,consumes 14 watts ..

Ok, we'll give it a try , 1year guarantee.. if after 6 months it don't do anything ,, I'll just go get my money back ---half a slab of beer ,,

Bruce
Bushboy

Catch66

Posted: 04:47am 11 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good evening brucedownunder2..
Are you referring to night time emerging bats
which feed on insects.
I work for a pest control company.there guano squared
at ends,a bit longer than mice droppings if held to light you can see a shiny hue from eating wing material . to remove bats you need to wait until they leave in fall,
at that time the small bats leave there mother, and the female leaves to find a male
in there hibernating area.
After they leave Exclude All entry's you find " remember they can get in through very small hole's " with hard ware cloth 1/4"x1/4" it come in 3 foot width's galvanized mesh material, caulk and seal all areas of entry before they return in spring. If done correctly they will not be able to return to the roosting area from past year.
The electronic device I'm curious if it works there is no known evidence to it being effective.
hope this sheds a bit of light.

Chuck S

Catch66

Posted: 04:50am 12 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

brucedownunder2,

A couple of points on there droppings.

1.they will normally drop guano before entering their brooding chamber after feeding
during the night.They normally prefer attics, eaves.
high areas away from Predators.So look up above where you are seeing droppings.

2. they will also drop guano during feeding while roosting, resting near feeding area.
Exterior lights if white will attract moths millers.however yellow lights
insects do not see this in spectrum of their vision, and not drawn to the light.
If you are seeing droppings around light say on your porch then
they are feeding here.

electrondady1

Posted: 03:56pm 12 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i had to google for an image of a flying fox.

this is scary stuff to have under your house !

careful now , you may get some in ya or get some on ya
Edited by electrondady1 2012-02-14

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:52am 18 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pteropus (From Wikipedia) - this article is about flying foxes of the genus Pteropus. For other bats known as flying fox, see Acerodon (with another 5 groups).

Is a Genus which contain a lot of groups so I can't provide only one image. Anyway, in that page are all details.Edited by vasi 2012-02-19
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 08:58pm 18 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sprayed the underhouse beams with citronella oil 2 days ago --seeems to have done the trick -$2.70 ltr. from the dollar shop -beats the hundreds of dollars the shonky 'ies were asking for snake oil stuff...buggers...

Bruce
Bushboy

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024