Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:57 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Dust and gov. inaction/triplication

domwild
Guru

Posted: 11:19pm 07 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The federal gov. has come up with the NEPM (National Environmental Protection Measure) which is not a standard, but only a recommendation, which states companies, like quarries should only ever report five "dust exceedances" of 50 milligrams/cubic meter of PM 10 (Particle Measure 10 micron) dust per year. 10 micron means it goes into your lungs.

My neighbouring quarry (Boral) reported 37 dust exceedances in the first three months of 2008 instead of five for the whole year. When I asked the state Dep. of Env. if there has been any correspondence ("smacking of hands!") re these incidences I was told the laser dust gauges measure the dust on their property and on their property the NEPM does not apply! Clever! If I were a shareholder of Boral I would ask why the quarry had to buy laser dust gauges, employ people to read them, work out the exceedances and report them to the dep. if any level of pollution is acceptable legally anyway.

The quarry had licensing conditions imposed by the dep. re switching on of water cannons on the stockpiles and when I reported 15 "non-compliances" with the licensing conditions the dep. just changed the conditions! Clever!

The City of Gosnells has concocted "Extractive Industries Bylaws" and in them there is a fine for a pollution event of $400; we are talking here of multinational corporations! The City receives $270,000 in rates and royalties from the quarry. When I sent a photo of two cm of dust next to a road sump I was told the City attempts conciliation first! The Dep. of Env. smacked the quarries hand and told them not to do it again!

Our rates and taxes support triplication and expansion of the public service empires at all three levels of gov.

What brought this rant on is reading about the people living next to the coal mines in Queensland with all the dust and gases and their problems of having the authorities dealing with it, which they do not. Money talks and we have the best politicians money can buy as most companies cleverly donate the same amount of money to both parties.

In mine and my neighbours cases, we cannot subdivide as a "precautionary principle" is being applied to knock back applications by stating that the "dust may be a health hazard" and it is best not to have additional people moving into the area, well, what about the existing residents??

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 04:11am 08 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dom

Corrupt big business rules, supported by corrupt government, both are a sheltered workshop for cretins posing as normal people and administering non effectual laws put up as window dressing to justify their existence.

The best thing is to vote with your feet and move to a better position and sell the property to an employee of the quarry.
All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 06:35am 08 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well this aint Quarry dust but there must dust for brains over regarding shooting on ones property. Yesterday we finally got around to killing the boar pig we've been looking after for 3 months and Dave the guy who came around to shoot it was saying after I said eh mate if you want to come over and shoot some fox's you're welcome. He told me a land owner is free to shoot on his own property but if if a friend is invited over he MUST have a permit. So basically now if a bunch of pit bull's come on our place and start killing stock my mate will first have to travel down the hill, visit the asylum to get a permit then drive back up the hill put of the misery of all the wounded stock.

Now just look in the media about the cat problem, we decided to get rid of the female that had kittens and the one kitten we couldn't give away. First we looked at getting the cat desexed but @ $200 too much. Now to hand hand the cats over at the govt centre cost us $50 per cat. When the missus said go bugger off we'll keep them they said NO as you brought them in there is no going back and hand over the $100.

This crap and 1,000's of other things just go to show in all 3 levels the monkeys must want golden banana's as all these new hair brained tax's and charges have been put in place so they can be purchased.

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 07:57am 08 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks bryan,
You have just reminded me that I haven't seen any paperwork from the rozzers for my firearms license, must chase that up.
I'm confused, no wait... maybe I'm not...

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 08:01am 08 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bryan

If something annoys me on my property it is dealt with, I have a problem with wild dogs and feral cats, but the foxes and rabbits are OK, but they are illegal, makes you wonder what idiot makes these rules, foxes keep rabbits in control and idiot neighbour gets the odd fox when he is more sober, so that keeps foxes in control.

I wonder if the kookaburra applied for a permit to eat a snake.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024