Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:39 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : This section of the forum

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:47am 14 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Guys I dont think this part of the forum is working.

In the topic heading I describe this sections as "Jokes, photos of the dog, cooking recipes, whatever you like, Keep it clean and friendly, Stay away from controversial subjects like religion, politics, racism, etc".

Unfortunately the controversional topics keep creeping in. If I ignore them I get complaints. When I try to dampen them, I get complaints. I myself have also participated in these topics, when I feel they are one sided or just totaly off the mark, so I'm as guilty as the next bloke. Thats the nature of these topics, they break a group of people with a common interest, into different groups with opposing views, discussing a topic that has nothing to do with this web site. And then I get the PM's and Reports from other members who dont like the subject matter, and I need to spend a lot of time sorting it out.

Religious views, political views, global warming debate, unfair taxes, racism, sexist jokes. These topics have NOTHING to do with this web site.

Can this section work without these topics?

Fact is, as some of you know, I do wish I never added this section to the forum. And it's for the same reasons many other forums dont have a section like this. I understand some members dont like it when I try to place rules on what can and can not be discussed here, thinking its a type of censorship. But I need to draw a line somewhere. If I try to squash political debate and party bashing, some members will complain, but what if someone posted a message saying the Nazi's should stand for the USA election, or the KKK are looking for members to open a new parish in Australia. Would that be OK to leave on this forum?

So I drew the line at anything that may be seen as off topic for this site and controversal. Simple.Edited by Gizmo 2012-02-15
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

norcold

Guru

Posted: 07:53pm 15 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn,
From my viewpoint I think this part of the 4M works well. Cannot we agree to disagree? Why cannot people who PM you with complaints air their complaints on the 4M openly? eg if someone were to complain of my recent Italian jokes I`d reply my wife is Italian, two of my brother in laws are Italian, I`m of Irish English Danish Descent. Most of us are probably multinational surely we can discuss things such as nuclear power ,climate change which are controversal but are the sort of things talked about in Backsheds all over the world.
But you are the one with "the switch" and I accept that, and we are the ones with "argon in out tanks"
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:36pm 15 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The problem is this area creates a lot of work for me, and most of the topics have nothing to do with the subject of this web site. Plus, as the site owner, I have to bite my tongue, and cant join in. Trust me, I bite my tongue a lot on this forum!

There are other forums that deal in politics, religion, etc, so its not like these topics cant be discussed elsewhere. Forums like Fieldlines(Seams to be offline at time of writing) have a "Pub" section where its open slather, though I know the moderators are kept busy, and some of the posts made by members towards eachother border on slander.

But a new forum Another Power built by disgruntled members of the Fieldlines forum ( and I know of a couple who are ex-members of this forum too ), has wisely chosen to NOT have a Shop Talk / Pub like area. I think that was a good decision.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

powerednut

Posted: 11:38pm 15 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The other side of that is that while your close friends and family know that your poking fun with love and affection, that love/affection thing really doesn't come across well in this context.
Sometimes the sum of all those small jokes and comments adds up to something that looks pretty nasty and disturbing. (not saying that your stuff does that, just some of the threads have gotten quite out of hand in the past)

Glenn's asked us a number of times to watch our manners and mind what we post. I think its time we respected the fact that he provides us this playground for our minds at a lot of effort and expense to himself, and we should try and do what he's asked of us.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024