Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:21 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : What do you use all the electricity for?

UKInbox

Posted: 02:06pm 17 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I generate electricity and I store it in batteries. Potentially it can scale as much as required. But required for what?

What do you use the electricity for. So far, I've kept to a 12v system and power the following.

* Water pump from underground source
* Garden lights (on light sensor & time switch)
* [next project] Garden pond water feature
* [next project] Spinning mirror ball in garden
Catches light and looks pretty (girlfriend)

I just wondered what other people power?

Thanks

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:11pm 17 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use mine to power the workshop lights ( using a cheap 600 watt inverter ), a string of 12v LED garden lights, one 12v security light and one 12v 20w CFL flood lamp that comes on with the garden lights at night. Its nice to have the yard lit up at night and know it costs nothing to run.

Next I want to add a pond pump and power all the house lights. Maybe a night light for the chickens
I also want to add a power board to the inverter for all the phone chargers and plug packs, its surprising how much they draw over a year.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

UKInbox

Posted: 06:52am 18 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cool stuff.

I suppose in a utopian design I'd have an inverter (or possibly 20 batteries in series) plugged directly into my home power supply to feed the whole of the house, or at least contribute to the power usage. But I'd need a huge turbine to get any real benefit.

We have very strick regulation in the UK for home electrics - you have to have it certified etc. So any tampering, even adding a light is a no-no. I'd have to add 12v lighting but that's just too much work adding a complete second system.

I think my main focus will be on the garden, shed, garage, workshop, etc as I don't need to worry about the look of it so much.

David

South Easter

Posted: 07:29am 22 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have just patched up a second hand electric scooter I bought - I cut to shape and epoxied a bicycle tire over the rear wheel (it was a bit worn).

It runs on two small 12V lead acid batteries, so is perfect to charge from my 24V system. Not sure if its good to charge one set of batteries from another set (this is what you do when jump starting a car I suppose, so maybe ok?)

Scooting around on wind energy feels good!
--
South Easter
http://windpower.org.za
South Easter
http://windpower.org.za

burgo

Posted: 07:29am 24 Aug 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi UK in a box i power the large garage i live in with my wife and 2 kids and a rhodesian ridgeback, the F& P powers 60% of my power, 3% from a 180 watt solarpanel and a mitsubishi back up alternator/generator handles the ramaining 47%. I have built most of my new house frames and roofing using 18 volt drills and saws recharged overnight by the windmill. We have a 42 inch/107cm lcd tv, a new westinghouse fridge/freezer, the radio runs all day and and the workshop and shed lights are all cfl;s. I have a huge battery bank that weighs over 2 tons so the concept of this is generate in various ways as much power as you can but be very carefull how you use it. The new seeley will be up tuesday i hope and then we will be able to relax a bit on the energy.

roganjosh

Posted: 06:17pm 29 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

UKInbox said  
We have very strick regulation in the UK for home electrics - you have to have it certified etc. So any tampering, even adding a light is a no-no.

Not exactly true Dave, the only areas to be cautious are kitchens and bathrooms as these now come under Part P of the buildings regulations, and rightly so there have been to many incompetent people doing home electrics in these two dangerous places, generally kitchen fitters. If you have knowledge of mains electrics and can install competently then you should be OK. If I remember right the Electrical Regulations are not law in England, but as mentioned Part P. is the legal part, you can get away with quite a lot, BUT if in doubt then don't tackle home electrics. The regs. are due to be updated shortly so this may all change again.Watch this space

Rogan

Gill

Posted: 02:46am 30 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G,day UKInbox,
I live in a bush camp without access to the Utilities (except phone) so I power most everything.

All lighting, TV, satellite TV box, DVD player, computers, domestic water pump, portable phone, plug pack chargers, washing machine, bench grinder, drill press, all hand power tools, mini spot welder, radio shack gear such as transceivers, rotators, lab power supplies, oscilloscope, soldering irons, and once in a while the hair clippers.

Bound to have overlooked something, but you get the picture. What needs mentioning is what I don't run.
Refrigeration is gas powered at the moment but I will be trialling inverter power during this coming wet season.
Also the BIG loads of welder, compressor, & battery bank charger are run off a petrol powered generator.

Needless to say, not all this stuff is run at the same time. And whilst I gather power from solar, micro hydro and wind, these too do not peak in the same season(fortunately). Eventually an energy thrifty lifestyle evolves.

Wouldn't change it for the world.... though a spike free scope trace would be nice.

was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024