Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:03 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : self sustainability by force

Page 2 of 2    
permaclutter

Posted: 03:05pm 13 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grolly
Yes I am in Brighton or Wistow never realy know
Give me a call tomorow
0437 069 044
lyn/permaclutter

grolly

Posted: 08:47am 14 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thankyou Lyn, went and picked them up a little while ago, made friends with the boss, and may get some more from him as they come in.
Grolly
I have bought the farm...now I AM powering it...

grolly

Posted: 08:13am 16 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Lyn, put the batteries on the 4 amp trickle charger and bought them up to 26.7 volts over 48 hrs, could not get the optimum voltage of 27.36...( 2.28,battery max x 12), have now taken them off the charger and will see if they lose any charge, never the less a good score, thankyou .

RossW
Guru

Posted: 10:24am 16 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grolly, the 4A charger isn't going to be anywhere even near enough to do the job my friend.

500AH cells, even at 1/20C is 25 amps... you're trying to charge them at under 1/6 of the C20 rate.... thats barely over their self-discharge rate.

You'll *need* to hit them with at least 10 amps I reckon. They say I'm under-charging mine at 30 amps....

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 11:41am 16 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

RossW said   Grolly, the 4A charger isn't going to be anywhere even near enough to do the job my friend.

500AH cells, even at 1/20C is 25 amps... you're trying to charge them at under 1/6 of the C20 rate.... thats barely over their self-discharge rate.

You'll *need* to hit them with at least 10 amps I reckon. They say I'm under-charging mine at 30 amps....

Hi Grolly
i do agree with Ross as 4amp charger is waste of time ever this any car battery 4 amp charger dont have higher voltage only around about 12.5 volt just enough to start the engine but not fully topup the battery so look for with aleast 10 amp or more with voltage around 14 to 16 volts (open circuit)

Dwyer the bushman
Dwyer the bushman

grolly

Posted: 03:55am 17 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ross and dwyer, yes, I know I am trying to " piss on a bushfire" but it is all I have at the moment, it is a 24 volt charger, and it was only to test the cells, see if they all came up evenly, no bad cells, and they did +/_ 0.02 volts.

which do you think is best, an Inverter and a charger, or an inverter/charger in one, price seems to work out about the same.

RossW
Guru

Posted: 09:00am 17 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I went with an "all-in-one" unit. 5KW (continuous) sinewave, with all the generator synchronisation and control, rectifier etc.

The benefit of this "generator interactive" unit is that I can supply a load that is in excess of the generator or inverter by themselves. Ie, if I have a 5KVA generator and a 5KVA inverter, I *CAN* run loads up to about 10KVA (as long as the batteries hold up!). Something I couldn't do with a seperate rectifier.

Not all can do this I suppose, but it was a useful feature for me. If I didn't want this though, I think I would probably go seperate units purely because of the "not putting all the eggs in one basket" benefit.

The other thing to consider is - if you have to run off generator for any non-trivial periods (like I do), running the generator into the inverter means your load will be supplied directly from the genset, and only the battery charge current needs to go through the rectifier stage. (Losses: battery charge current only).

With a seperate rectifier, you still have to run your full load off the rectifier, so losses are battery charge current *AND* full load current through the rectifier, plus inverter losses for the load. May only be 10%, but if your load is say 1KW, thats 10% losses in rectifier and 10% losses in inverter = 200W "wasted" *MORE* than the generator-interactive solution.

grolly

Posted: 10:50am 21 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ross,
What would be the nominal charge rate of the battery bank,(12x2vx500a),

my father has picked up a "southern cross 32volt diesel generation plant" both engine and generator ($100), output 30 amp@32 volt.

could I use this to charge the battery bank?.. (voltage is able to be changed via rheostat)

If this is a goer, I would save abt $2000, by only haveing to buy an Inverter.

Grolly

RossW
Guru

Posted: 11:04am 21 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mate, you could... but it could be hard to keep them fed the way they like it.

Not too much ripple. Plenty of amps when they want it, but not going over voltage too far or for too long.

I charge mine at 35 amps, but I'm assured you can hit them much harder than that. I'm reluctant to though!

permaclutter

Posted: 02:49am 22 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well done, to yer dad
sounds like a great bargain even if just for the diesel.
could it be a go to use a f&p on it as per highlanders above? or see some stationary engine guys and find out how cool the score is? It might be a collectors item that could be swaped for a more suitable engine for your needs?
I dont recon you can loose at that price but maybe the 32V is a bit tricky.
I have a dunlight wind gen i havent put up becase of the 32v thing (and they are old and seem to fly apart a bit to offten for my likes)
congrats
permaclutter

grolly

Posted: 11:03am 22 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks lyn, He also has got hold of a 2 cyl Lister 12 hp, for $1000, going and in good order. The Southern Cross is in need of a set of mains, and is a 4 hp single cyl.
If you look, there is still a lot of 32 volt stuff around, in some parts of the south east of S.A. there are places that didnt get power till the 60's, so a lot of the stuff is still in good working order, in the mid 70's I stayed in a shearers quarters near lucindale that was lit by a 32 volt gen set.
Also got a windmill tower.

grolly

Trev

Guru

Posted: 07:35am 23 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To buy any 32 volt stuff now you will be scratching. My opinion is that you are wasting money and time with any 32 volt setup.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

grolly

Posted: 01:07pm 23 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes I know Trev, but my dad has his teeth into this, and the 32 volt stuff will do till I can afford the 4 or 5 grand for a u,beaut auto start 240 volt gen set.
I am not going to run the house on 32 volt, just charge the batteries when the wind don't blow, or the sun don't shine.
Grolly

ericvr

Posted: 10:31pm 23 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Permaclutter,

I was looking at your post of the 11th of June 2007, about the 1KA/hr batteries, and was wondering if you were in Melbourne or where you are, as the price of A$ 30 per battery is a very good price, can you please let me know where that scrap dealer is located?

Thank you

Ericvr
Edited by ericvr 2008-01-25
limited greenie

grolly

Posted: 07:57am 16 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

Well as of the 1st of december I am now off grid and liveing at sedan.

the power plant...
11hp kubota driving a 8000w alternator
bank (1) 24 2T500/2 supersafe 48 volt
bank (2) 475ah fork batteries 48 volt
bank (3) 12 2T500/6 supersafe 24 volt (only runs water pump,charged by 500w wind gen)
KUMA 48 volt 5000w(10000peak) inverter/charger
40 amp 24 volt charger
60 amp 24 volt alternator driven by 4 hp southern cross
2 scorpion 3500w diesel gen sets as backups

The house...
4 bedroom 2 bathroom All Steel transportable wired as a standard home.
gas instant hot water with controllers, gas stove.
biocycle sewrage, 240 volt aerator and pump.
fridge/freezer,dvd,tv,coffee maker, computers(2), phone chargers etc.

I run the gen set 4 hrs a day, to keep the batteries up, and 6 hrs on weekends, ( more power tool usage).

It is very windy here, already have broken all 3 blades off the wind gen, don`t know how hard it was blowing (back sliding glass door visibly bending, house rocking) but it was putting out 35 volt 16 amp full furl,I think the blades hit the tail or started to flutter, at 3.30 am all blades broke off at the hub.
more on this pice of sh*t wind gen later.

thats all for now, photos to follow
grolly

wookee12000

Posted: 03:17pm 21 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Does you still have any yuasa UXL 550 batteries?

permaclutter

Posted: 04:24pm 28 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was never selling stuff.
Just found it for sale at good prices.
I dont want to advertise for companies but will happily pass on the places if you ring me.
Lyn

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024