Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:58 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Come in Spinner?

Gill

Posted: 10:43am 02 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK nobody buy new batteries or one of those new-fangled internal combustion engine Veeehickles. These boys have got the solution. It's going to turn the world upside down.
You'd better believe it!

Read All About It....

Has SunCube moved to the US???
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 12:16am 05 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I believe the CSIRO have been working on a similar fuel cell idea for many years. The idea being you change the battery electrolyte at a filling station, much as you fill up with petrol now.

My understanding is that these fuel cells use exotic very expensive platinum group metals that make gold look cheap. While the technology works, it is certainly not competitive low cost technology.

Here is another great idea, a battery design that can power a laptop computer for thirty years:
http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news-betavol taic-10.1.html

A great idea, until you realize that the battery will be absolutely enormous because of the very low energy density.

I fear the infernal combustion engine will be with us for quite some time yet.

*edit*
There is trouble with that link for some reason ?? If it does not work for you, Google:
"Scientists invent 30 year continuous power laptop battery"
Edited by Warpspeed 2007-10-06
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024