Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:47 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Experts domination

herbnz

Posted: 12:07am 16 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All
I am rather new to forums and probably do not understand the details however I have noticed on this forum that good ideas have been hyjacked by very knowledgeable people who have then dominated the topic and in all cases come up with no advancement. I would like to hear others thoughts on this as i find personally I am relectant to post ideas and explore ideas both good and bad. Surely needs some delicate handling to stop these experts excerting undue influence.
Looking forward to hearing other views.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:44am 16 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah Herb this is pretty normal for a forum. Actually so far this forum has been very polite and friendly compared to others I visit.
Basically we have a bunch of people from around the globe, thrown together by a common interest. So we have a range of different skill levels and backgrounds all trying to understand each other, its bound to cause tension from time to time.
Its like the engineer and the boiler maker. The engineer designs something, and as far as he is concerned that the way it should be built. But the boiler maker will build it a slightly different way, because he know the engineers way just wont work. The boiler maker has knowledge and skills the engineer doesn't, and visa versa. So they both try to put up with each other, and blame each other when things go bad.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gill

Posted: 03:35am 16 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes Herb,
As Glenn reports, Overall we have a good forum, covering detailed subjects at times. Most RE type forum never get past a basic beginner level.

With the more complex subject matter, many forum turn into a pissing competition. The abuse and the obscure, vague, cryptic and techno-mumbo-jumbo criticisms are often only a protection of fragile egos than for constructive intent. Some who can't see past the game or are wounded quietly disappear as they should. Others persist.

There is a diverse blend of backgrounds as you have noticed and for me it is often a strain to hold back from getting involved, not when I have a lack of understanding of points raised, but when there is doubt on the intent of the other parties. I think we all experience this from time to time.

I've put my foot in it a few times and no doubt will again but mostly I try to stay focused on only positive aspects. I think the success of this forum shows that we all do the same.

He who knows and knows he knows is a master,
He who knows and doesn't know he knows needs love,
He who doesn't know but knows he doesn't know needs a teacher,
He who doesn't know and doesn't know he doesn't know is lost.

unfortunately,
The lost can only identify themselves as masters.

was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

GWatPE

Posted: 10:56am 16 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo,

This thread has started preumably as a response to my refusal to provide a cct. I have spent a great deal of time on a design. This is a public forum. What was asked for was unreasonable in a public environment.

I agree with Gill, this forum has covered many diverse aspects like aerodynamics, mechanics and electronics. A lot of us comment to keep the thread moving and help to clarify points as well as present new ideas.

I have done many hard electronic yards and let the smoke out of many components in testing ideas. Simple on/off switching is in the realm of some DIY experimenters. High speed, high power modulated ccts are probably NOT. I get the impression from many favourable comments that others have benefited from my input.

I have been experimenting and refining my designs in the real world. It takes many weeks or even months to move from an idea to a working prototype and then to a design that satisfys legislative requirements.

I know that a digital MPPT is very close to completion. I have had the complicated double sided main PCboard made professionally. I had envisioned making a working well designed MPPT available at some $ value.

If readers no longer wish me to contribute I can stop now. I will let the other MPPT ideas have the front seat.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:16pm 16 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GWatPE said  

If readers no longer wish me to contribute I can stop now. I will let the other MPPT ideas have the front seat.

cheers, Gordon.

Please keep on contributing Gordon. Even if some of your stuff is a bit above my head, I'm working on it and will, hopefully, grasp the concept in due time. Somewhere down the line, when I eventually get that windmill up a pole to actually work, your contribution will come in mighty handy.
Before I joined here I actually had no idea what MPPT is and why its important with wind generators. So, you and the other sensai here did well .
Klaus
Klaus

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 07:57pm 16 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please keep on posting your ideas Gordon..

I think you are very smart and we are to benefit from your ideas--thats exactly what this forum runs on .
Some of the guys say things in a different context ,,I've done it myself, and was called a dope,dipstick,dropbear,stupid old fart, ---Hey,,Im still around . But I didn't like being called a dropbear,cause I looked real hard for them Swedish girls,..

Anyhow ,

Cheers,Bruce
Bushboy

martinjsto

Posted: 06:02am 21 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

keep up the good work gordon, your inputs are realy apreciated. being reluctant to give away or publish your work on a public forum is fair. you do all the work you should enjoy the benifits.
sure we bounce idears off people but that dosnt mean there entitled to some claim on your designs even if they assist you, people submit there replyes willingly and freely.
i think most people on this site understand this, there are a few exceptions that want your hard work for free, tough luck i say. i hope you can finalise your controler and be able to sell them for good profit, well done all round
martin
free power for all
McAlinden WA

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024