Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:34 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Telstra Batteries not for sale

domwild
Guru

Posted: 03:13am 11 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Friends,

Went to Simms Metal in WA to look at their collection of batteries. Heaps of gigantic 2V batteries and lots of SLA's (6V) on pallets covered with plastic - mouth watering sight.

No, he said! You cannot buy Telstra batteries. They would have come out of Telstra 48V exchanges and get changed over regardless of condition.

Have put this complaint also on Fieldlines and let's hope the bots pick up this rant and let the world know how silly some organisations are, especially at a time, when energy conservation is all the rage.

Friend and forum member from Wokalup is trying to get batteries from the Muja power station and has been told to get a licence!

Let your politician know your feelings.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 11:10am 11 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Domwild
what a load of crab that you can't buy the batteries that will be send off shore and use for something else what l hate to hear that someone tell you to get a licence maybe Milkbar licence so l can't see any harm for you to buy batteries from Simm Metal so l will find out from my mate who own scrap metal yard see what are the politician's rule on selling second hand batteries to the puplic next week and get back to you .

Dwyer the bushman

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 07:39pm 11 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used tp work for Optus , I could get as many batteries as I wanted .They came out of big UPS rooms ,and yes ,some probably had NEVER been used ,just sitting there floating . I've had some Yausa and Hawker types that are 10 years old . They are good as new as far as I can see,I'm looking at 20 plus years ,I'd reckon. Got 6 ex-telecom 2v wet cells ,,15 years old and still very good.

Just try around different scrap metal yards,some one will take your carton of beer for them ,I'm sure.

Bruce
Bushboy

domwild
Guru

Posted: 06:00am 12 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Friends,

I forgot to mention I can buy other batts off them BUT a lot of them would only be car batteries and the odd SLA.

I suspect the Telstra batteries are the best and they are the ones I cannot buy.

Read my Fieldlines post: One chap suggested making friends with Telecom staff and offer a carton of beer or ask the worker if he minds if I "steal" the few batteries I need, etc.

The ones coming from Federal or State utilities are off-limits to us.

Regards,

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 07:49am 14 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi friends
This morning i call in my friend's scrapmetal yards but owner is having dayoff and found several pallets of Yuasa 2 volt deep cyles batteries approx 100x140x450mmlong and spoken to one of the worker as trying to get some information on the batteries condition if is good or bad however the feller told me does't know much about so l didn't have any volt meter with me nor how long has been flat so anyone can give me adivse to test the batteries while is on the pallet as l know is only one way is to charge up and give the load test
tomorrow l will go back to see if l able to buy one pallet that over one ton of lead

dwyer the bushman

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 07:52am 14 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi friend
l am just wonding if i am wasting my time with batteries or not

dwyer the bushman

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 03:45pm 14 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dwyer,, no gaurantee's ,but if those batts look fairly good ,like no bulging of the plastic case Etc,,and they show nearly 2v ,,then I'd say they would be OK ..You see ,lots of these batteries come out of ups's banks whether they are good or not--from my experience. and remember ,the establishments that install these banks ,install very expensive and state of the art charging systems,,so they are very carefully monitored.
I have Usasa"s ; Hawkers and ex-telco wet cells (20yo) all perfect

Best hunting

Bruce
Bushboy

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 12:30am 15 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce
thank for your advise so l will go to scrapmetal yard today see if able to hand pick on some good batteries and also bring back some photoe as well
thank
Dwyer the bushman

Prof

Posted: 12:45am 16 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Domwild,
Companies like Simms Metal sign a contract with Telstra that they will not onsell Telstra branded batteries and that they must be scrapped. The reason for this is that in the past dead Telstra batteries have been found dumped where they should not have been by thoughtless people and then Telstra has copped the blame. Bad P.R. for them and thus the response you got from Simms Metal.
Its such a waste.

Prof
I know boats!!

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 12:31pm 17 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce and friends
For the last fews day i was unable to send photos earlier due my modem fail had to get replacement so now l have 60 batteries from scrap metal and will recharge over the weekend to find out if these batteries condintion if is no good l just simple take it back and if it all fine will buy it at very good price and however l can't find information on webs site as batteries are 5 years old are 2 volt@240 amphr

dwyer the bushman

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 03:16pm 17 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dwyer,,
a bit scratchy ,but that may just be from pushing them around the pallet..Bloody heavy,not many souls would actually lift and position these ..
First check for 2V or very close,,establish how many you want to keep ,look closly for "bulges" "cracks" ( a give-away for a crack is a fine line of white residue ).
Apart from that you will have to wait till fullcharge ..I'll find my "Usasa" catalogue and get you the float voltage,,14.2v fo a string of 6 ,in this case ,I think,never go over this ,as being valve regulated,it's a "one-way" safety device-can't replace water ,eletroyte is a paste anyhow.-these type of batteries can be positioned on their side or upright.

Nice big batteries,,a good score

Bruce
Bushboy

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024