Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:04 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : rain rain go away!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:06am 20 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its been a crappy last couple of weeks. Had a lot on my plate, and I should thank the senior forum members for been so active and keeping the questions answered, especially Gill. I really do appreciate it.

Well the rains haven't let up for a couple of weeks, with only the occasional half day of sunshine to drive the humidity up. Everything is wet, the grass is growing an inch a day, and I hate it. On Christmas day I had a small land slide behind the house, very scary. I found I was having bad dreams about landslides when ever I went to sleep to the sound of rain. Well last night was a nightmare. It started raining hard at 5pm, I had a look out the back about 10pm and there were more landslides! Mud was everywhere. I wanted to go out and dig some diversion channels, but there was heaps of lightning and I wasn't too keen to stand in a puddle of water. At 1am the thunder was unbelievable, rain was stronger and the landslides were getting worse, almost the entire bank behind my house had come down. Didn't get much sleep, the sound of rain was driving me crazy and I felt sick from the stress. I remember watching the clock waiting for daylight so I could see what damage was occurring and if there was anything I could do.
Think I got 1 hours sleep all up, was up at 6am and the rain was finally starting to back off. Went for a walk around at 7am to inspect the damage, like I said just about all of the bank behind the house was down, but thats not the worse of it. The bank on the other side of the house, were it drops off down to the original land level, had also suffered a land slide. This is not good, its easy to remove dirt, but a lot harder to put it back. I have lost about 1 meter of pad from the edge, about 15 meters wide. Now thats a lot of dirt to simply disappear. I found it, about 200 meters away down the hill.
The whole thing was very scary and depressing. But I just need to sort it out, get a contractor in with a excavator to remove the landslide debry and dump it over the hill where the other landslide was, and dig some bigger diversion channels around the back of the house. It will be OK, I know that. But my problem is I'm now scarred of the rain! As soon as I hear rain I feel sick. I know next time its raining when I go to bed I wont be able to sleep. So I'll have to sort my head out as well.
I've really had very little damage, lost a few square meters of yard around the house, thats it. With these floods around Queensland over the last couple of weeks other people have lost everything, their houses washed away! How do they get their heads right after something like that, it must be difficult. I remember how it used to be pleasant to fall asleep to the sound of rain, but now it makes me uneasy.

Yesterday was another day. I took the windmill down with Trev's fibreglass blades, and put my dual stagggered stator mill with the 6 PVC blades back up. I lengthened the tail by about 300mm. With that big turbine the windmill would hunt around a bit, so hopefully the longer tail will help. Added some bracing. Been no wind since then, just rain!

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 01:47pm 20 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After rain, sunshine come. Always! Deep diversion channels ( cemented ) can be the solution and plant some bushes on that "hill". Our hill have same problems when rain. Is a matter of time when our houses will go away. Is an interdiction here to not build new houses. We was on a television channel when this happened for the first time. Fortunately only terrains go away, not houses yet.
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 07:57pm 20 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn ,, Sorry to hear your sad news . Looks like some big time rocks might be required ,expensive,but maybe necessary. I've cut and filled my steep sloping house pad .Then had huge bluestone rocks placed wher the cuts ended ,my rock walls are 2 metres high and the rocks were approx 2-3 ton ,some of them .

I tried to call you yesterday,so maybe you were out the back.
Nice to see you played with the "other" mill,at least that would have given you some comfort.
We have had more rain than I can remember,been raining for 2 weeks ,our Hinze dam is flowing 2 mtrs over the spillway,,now they are worried if we get more rain ,many low lying area will cop a huge flood.

Cheer up Tiger,,
Bruce
Bushboy

Gill

Posted: 07:10am 21 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahhh Glenn at least there's still ice cream.

You could send a little of that rain my way. The Hydro has just started spitting air, not good for this time of the year as no wind either.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:13am 22 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the comments guys.

I think it may be time to move. If I stay here I will always be fighting with this mountain and the water that flows down it. Add to that the fact that I live on the wrong side ( North side, I face the sun, and the wind comes from the other side ), it would be nice to live on a flatter block of land where I can see the south east, thats where the wind comes from.
I do have a great view, but the price for a good view is too high in my opinion. 6 acres of land but less than 1 acre is flat enough to use. I cant even hoon around on my trail bike, it hasn't been used since I moved here.

I'll have a think about it over the next few weeks. It would be nice to have the space for more windmills

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

martinjsto

Posted: 04:03pm 23 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

some of that rain here in WA would be nice, some i said.
sory to here about the block glenn, must be heartbreakening to be forced off your land by the weather, the landslides at the back are messy but the front could be very dangerouse divert the water as much as posible from there. i feel for the people in queensland. i was born in Grt Yarmouth UK as it sugest its the mouth of a large river that floods badly from time to time the whole town was washed away when i was a kid, many killed, i understand about the affect the noise of rain can have, wasnt till coming to australia b4 i was able to love the sound of rain on the roof again.
but a move is a fresh start and you know what you want now, im sure the future will be good for you and your family, best of luck
martin

free power for all
McAlinden WA

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024