Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:52 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : Bloody spammers!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:43am 21 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They really give me the poops!

On the About Us page I have a feedback form thingy so people can contact me without giving out my email address. It works fine, most of the messages I get are genuine, though I get a few weird ones like "I live in Dallas, can you give me a quote to come around and install a windmill this weekend please", hmm, well the air fair alone would be about $2000!

In the last couple of days I've seen a few test messages from spammers. They test the page to see if they can write a script that will automatically post messages to my email, and then they pass this script onto the guys who send out all the spam.

So I added a security image to the page. This will block any automated message posting scripts, hopefully.

I remember back to 1993 when I first started using the internet, Windows 3.11 with a Winstock dialer, Netscape 2.1 and Eudora 1.2. It was such a friendly place back then

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gill

Posted: 03:23am 21 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, the scum always floats to the top forcing much more attention on it than it deserves.

I have often thought the invention I'd really like to make is a 'Goes Around - Comes Around device'. It's a small black box with a single red button and a yellow arrow head sticker at one end. I can't reveal the internal electronics as it's secret and I may go in partnerships with SunCube before it's ready for marketing.

It works by pointing the arrow end at the offending situation and pressing the red button. The perpetrator of said offending occurrence then suffers the same fate to no lesser extent than that initiated by himself. The concentrated effect of the 'Goes Around - Comes Around device' is so strong it lasts a lifetime (on the Pro model) and any attempt to shield or shed it effects only leads to a doubling of it's force.

Research is currently underway on two other devices called 'Chunder' and 'Hypnotic Trance' but no details of their effects can be revealed yet.

Keep up the good work Glenn I'll send you a Beta version of my device when it's ready.

was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:41am 21 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Put me down for 2 please, pays to have a spare.

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

GWatPE

Posted: 07:05am 21 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo,

I remember those days. I was the first Ozemail dial-up internet customer in Darwin. I had internet access through the DIT with a modem before that. In those days we had more problems with line drop out. I started with X-modem on an Amiga 1000, pre IBM-PC. 1200/75 baud in those days. These were the days prior to GUI, only a line interface.

I hope Gill's pro model is released soon.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

dazz

Posted: 05:06pm 21 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When I studied computer science in high school, we entered our programs on punched cards. These things were read at 10 words per minute. I think all spammers should be forced by law to do all their work on one of those machines. But in the meantime, i'll take the pro version thanks Gill

And no, I'm not that old... Really! but it shows where we might be in another 30 odd years!

Tassie Mike

Posted: 04:13pm 04 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

regarding "come and quote me in Texas" or where ever, one thing I find very agro is that lots of sites are off shore!
You dont know what country they are in, then when you try to buy some plans you find out that the bloody zip code thing wont work!
They dont ship internationally !! all that form filling and BA :-(

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024