|
Forum Index : Electronics : Inverter building using Wiseguys Power board and the Nano drive board
| Author | Message | ||||
| analog8484 Senior Member Joined: 11/11/2021 Location: United StatesPosts: 232 |
The scary sounding growls are likely mainly due to the inverter being unhappy with AC coupled GTI injecting anti-islanding disturbances. I have heard it many times in my testing. The EV charging probably helped the system from total shutdown as it absorbs at least some of excess power from the GTI backfeed. I have tested turning on large resistive loads with similar effects. I believe the Latronics inverter is pretty old/obsolete? If so, it's encouraging that an older inverter likely with limited control HW is able to compensate for the non-linear disturbances. It gives me hope that perhaps the control HW horsepower required to compensate for non-linear loads might not be so high? |
||||
| Godoh Guru Joined: 26/09/2020 Location: AustraliaPosts: 709 |
Hi Analog, thanks for the reply. The 8010 inverter doesn't make the same noises normally when the GTI inverters are back feeding through it. Only when the EV charger is connected. When charging the EV there is often around 4kw of power or up to 5kw input from the GTI inverters. Normally the batteries don't charge at more than about 2kw max as the regulators are already doing their job at that power Latronics inverters are no longer made, the company shut down a couple of years back, the 3kw inverter is about 4 years old now, I have never taken the covers off to see just what is in there, it is a transformer based unit. buy yes it runs the car charger fine. Doesn't seem to mind the GTI inverters doing their bit and back feeding. Pete |
||||
| KeepIS Guru Joined: 13/10/2014 Location: AustraliaPosts: 2273 |
There was nothing special about the Latronics I've looked at, I've tested a few and pulled them down for parts. You can't really compare how different inverters sound and imply a better or different control, different toroids, winding, caps, power levels, switching speed, dead time, cabling, chokes, etc, etc. With ZERO control feedback the waveforms are still similar with a stupid Diode control HeatGun load. If you want to redesign a new Inverter or Control system, then perhaps a new thread would be a good idea, as this Inverter works perfectly and does not have a problem with Half Wave corrupted AC Loads, and has not failed after years of over 35kW Peak DC inputs daily. NANO:Inverter V 8.4ks - Linux AvrDude GUI script V4.1 |
||||
| analog8484 Senior Member Joined: 11/11/2021 Location: United StatesPosts: 232 |
I see so it's more likely an interaction between the EV charging and GTI input which is something I have also observed. Does the inverter make any noise when charging EV without the GTI input? That's the condition where I hear some buzzing. So it works with 5kW GTI input and 2kW EV charging? That would mean a solid 1:1 AC coupling ratio with a large load (relative to inverter capacity). |
||||
| analog8484 Senior Member Joined: 11/11/2021 Location: United StatesPosts: 232 |
It's certainly not definitive but control differences, which would technically include things like switching speeds and dead time, are plausible. In any case, I agree that further discussion on the subject should be in a separate thread to avoid further pollution of this great thread. |
||||
| The Back Shed's forum code is written, and hosted, in Australia. | © JAQ Software 2026 |