Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:23 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : 80P and RPM power dropoff

dazz

Posted: 10:38am 15 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

When you have an 80P config, the grphs tells us that the output watts drop to 0 at around 500RPM. Does anybody know why it drops off so quickly?
It just amazes me that you can have so many coils wizzing round past magnets at 500RPM and get 0W out

Where does the mechanical energy go in this situation? Just converted to heat?

cheers, Daryl

Gill

Posted: 10:50am 15 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry dazz, you say the graph is for a 80p, but where do I find it to check out what you say? Please give link or address. Thanks.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

dazz

Posted: 10:52am 15 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gill,

Sure,
http://www.sustainability.ofm.uwa.edu.au/__data/page/83884/F P.pdf
page 8

Edited by dazz 2008-04-17

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:55am 15 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats a well presented document, never seen it before. Its funny how many people are working on these F&P motors without being aware of eachother.

The 500 RPM starting point for the 80P is its cut in voltage. Those graphs originate from EcoInovation and Michael did his testing into battery loads. To put it simply, the 80P didn't reach the cut in speed ( charging voltage ) until it hit 500 RPM.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

dazz

Posted: 12:17pm 15 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ahh ok, that makes sense. thanks

yeh, it's great to have so many people working on different aspects of the whole.

Glenn, have you seen any performance graphs for resistive loads?

cheers, Daryl

GWatPE

Posted: 01:14pm 15 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi dazz,

resistive loads are very difficult to supply with a windmill. The blades will tend to stall, with the resistance calculated for the output voltage and power level expected... Gordon.
become more energy aware

dazz

Posted: 03:30pm 15 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ahhh ok ta

Forgive me, i'm very new to windmills and how people get the most out of them.

So I've been thinking about what Gizmo said about the EcoInovation test setup, and how there is no measurement below the cut in speed. Is it true to say then, that if the system was 48v and the speed dropped to supplying 24V then there could still be significant power to charge a 24V system if you could somehow flick a switch so that the generator was supplying a 24V system?

Cheers, Daryl

Gill

Posted: 11:46am 16 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day dazz,
Yes that is correct. If you switch from a 48v battery load to a 24v battery load, current will flow through it when it is below cut-in voltage on the 48v battery. I am making a duel rotor system that incorporates a feature for using this normally unavailable power. Yet to see if the trouble is worth the added complexity.

You may like to correct an error in the address above by removing the space between the 'F' and the 'P' in the file name.(only you and the administrator can edit errors from your post). These little glitches occur from time to time.... comes with the word computer.

Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

dazz

Posted: 01:45pm 16 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i've tried editing it several times and it just goes back to having a space. very odd

Is the dual rotor specifically to have one drive a 24V system, or will your 24V feature be driven from both rotors?

cheers, Daryl

GWatPE

Posted: 02:10pm 16 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The link was pretty easy to find from the parent address.

If the cut-in windspeed is above 4m/s then there is a useful part of the normal wind energy spectrum that is potentially wasted.. Gordon.

PS: If the cup anemometer of my weather station is moving, then my windmill is usually spinning, but the cut in I have still set at 2m/s. This only equates to about 100-200mA @ 24V. It will be interesting to compare the 100S F&P to my design when I finally get it set up..
become more energy aware

Gill

Posted: 02:21pm 16 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Are you using the 'EDIT' button at the bottom of the post? If so, most odd.

Without going into to much detail, When the voltage drops below cut-in, the two gens get switched from parallel to a series connection bringing the charge voltage back up above cut-in. Whilst you mentioned using one generator to charge two separate batteries, I'll be charging one battery from two generators, but utilising the same untapped power below the usual cut-in.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

dazz

Posted: 02:28pm 16 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i did use the edit button. i tried deleting the space. Also tried cutting the whole thing, correcting and pasting back.

Thanks guys for the food for thought

Daryl

GWatPE

Posted: 11:26pm 16 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gill,

There may be some problems with the control this way with the state of charge of the battery. You probably should use a current sensing as well. The enabling of the series connection would be a current drop to zero. As the current rose to a predetermined amount then the parallel conection would be enabled. There may need to be some timing delays as well. A star/delta changeover could be incorporated as well on each mill in a similar way. The changeover could be then input power related.

your thoughts... Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024