Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:14 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : UPS used as inverter

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:58pm 03 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I recently was given 2x 1200 watt ups's in very good condition-ex telstra.

I got into the works and found that they had  8X12 V gel cells in series(96V),bummer !!.

I was wondering if anyone out there has a clue as to how I could use these ,connected in some way to my 24 v battery banks ???. or am I unlucky with this haul !!?.

Bruce

Bushboy

Chris

Posted: 11:25pm 07 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow, thats unusual. All the UPS's ive ripped apart, and ive ripped apart a few  MY brother always brings them home for me... Excellent source of parts...

Anyway, ive found all the ones ive pulled apart run off 12v or 24v for the big ones. The biggest one ive pulled apart was the size of a computer and it ran off 24v... Yours sound quite different.

Maybe if you made an inverter to up your charge voltage. Then build a simple shunt charger, most mosfets these days can handle pretty high voltages.

Pt w/field Matt

Posted: 01:00pm 25 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi bruce  apc brand ups from 700 to 1500v/a all run on 24volts D.C.   the best are the rack mount units,they have cold start and run cooling fans and are pure sine wave. I had a 700v/a ups start and run a 4000 cmf evap water type cooler for hours, the same ups runs a tv or 200L freezer,1500v/a should start a 2 door fridge or start on mains and cut mains to run on D.C. by a cheap timer circuit and relays,i hope this helps matt
matt down south

domwild
Guru

Posted: 09:51am 11 Dec 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bruce,

You are not alone in your appalling misery! My UPS is a 36VDC beast and I have similar problems to you, only smaller. Had a look at 36VDC forklift batteries, they are as large as the forklift itself!

Anyway, have to join three 12V batteries together.

The F&P generates fairly high voltages but you are running into reactance problems from what commanda (Amanda) has told me if you were to use an unmodified F&P to drive your bank. Contact her for help. Have not seen her recently contributing.

Regards,
dom

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024