Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:02 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Another Inverter Build

Page 8 of 8    
Revlac

Guru

Posted: 01:27pm 21 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A few cores to play with, I tried 6 blue cores with 4 turns and the little test meter says 26uH, will try a few different configurations with the other ones, Actually 2 stacks side by side might be the go for the other cores.
I might just add a silicon steel U core to go with it, see what pans out.

The Blue rings are    MS-226125-2

Edited 2024-02-21 23:28 by Revlac
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 08:29pm 21 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Aaron, it is good to see the process of  your build.
Hope it all goes well with the cores
Pete

wiseguy

Guru

Posted: 11:57pm 21 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gday Aaron, The black cores look like they were from a Latronics inverter ? But The blue ones I haven't seen before. Were they salvaged from a inverter and if so can you tell me what type  - I am assuming they were probably from a TL, transformer-less model ?

It appears the easiest and lowest cost method of getting those types of cores is from old scrapped inverters.  Typically new cores like that are no less than ~12 - 15 AUD each or more, plus freight - unless you can find free shipping for 60+ dollar spends.

Some inverters (later SMA's I think) use their own choke method where they seem to make and pot their own chokes in a batch of like cement impregnated with iron or ferrite particles and cannot be dismantled without a cold chisel and hammer and bye bye choke...... They are a bit like the old pot cores with 2 wires poking out the side but a heavy solid unit with a hole down the centre.
If at first you dont succeed, I suggest you avoid sky diving....
Cheers Mike

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 01:26am 22 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Aaron, those are the same Blue cores that I use in my chokes. I swapped some black cores (same size) into the chokes to get the inductance down to around 21uH each.

Mike, I found the same thing with the later SMA inverters, I ended up throwing the pot cores in the bin.

I wish I could remember what inverter the blue ones came out of, I ended up with 12 of them, the prices have really gone up, I want more  
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 02:01am 22 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Blue Cores AliExpress Here , they are not new, but in good condition.

The last item in their list 57.1x26.4x15.2mm
specs:
Model:MS226060-2
Outer diameter:57.1 mm
Inner diameter:26.4 mm
Height:15.2 mm
Magnetic conductivity:60μ
Inductance coefficient:138 nH/N2
Material:85% iron +6% aluminum+9% silicon

Cheers
Mike

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 02:34am 22 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Those Blue cores are from a 5Kw Aurora GTI, If you can find one they are good for parts, eg they have parts that can help build 2 MPPT charge controllers or 1 MPPT charge controller and 1 inverter, or 2 inverters, so very useful, and I haven't tried the filter cores that are on the main PCB, more parts there, oh massive heatsink obviously.
I could post a picture in the GTI parts section. but that might invite a mad rush for them?

Correct, the black cores (still another one to unwind) are Latronics,  the smaller black ones are from something else.
Still haven't decided on the configuration yet.

Quote  The last item in their list 57.1x26.4x15.2mm

Even used ones cost a bit by the looks of.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 05:50am 22 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Solar Mike said  Blue Cores AliExpress Here , they are not new, but in good conditionMike

Mike, thanks for that link.

Revlac said  Those Blue cores are from a 5Kw Aurora GTI, oh massive heatsink obviously.

Quote  The last item in their list 57.1x26.4x15.2mm

Even used ones cost a bit by the looks of.

Yes, getting expensive now.  

You are correct, now I remember. I was given an old Aurora GTI, the heat sink from that is on the back of my inverter, a massive beautiful heatsink, I think mine was a slightly smaller power unit.    

EDIT- It appears that I have a mix of MS226060-2 and MS225060-2, had look at the 4 I have left and they are all MS226060-2, way back when I unwound the first stack, the first one from the stack was MS225060-2 - very hard to see on mine.

FYI They are both the same dimension, I will go searching to see what I can find, but the value of inductance you measured appears to be about the same with these cores.

Well, I went searching and it appears that the 6 looks like a 5 on some of mine, but they are definitely a MS226060-2 as the size does not match a 5.

Getting old
Edited 2024-02-22 16:12 by KeepIS
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 02:37am 23 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mike, I thought my test meter might have been telling me lies as it was all over the place, turned out ok after running it a few times.

Ok, I had an idea a few days ago and thought I would try it out, now with 4 turns this is about 21uH in this configuration, I would like this to work.
This is also Fully adjustable by going through more or less rings so another quarter turn would give 25uH etc.
I haven't seen this done before so wondering why and perhaps I have totally missed the reason why this shouldn't work, I can see if I go through another ring (quarter turn) that one would saturate before the others, Or go back out of the previous ring etc, any ideas?
I can clamp this lot with a plate top and bottom and mount it on top of the main Toroidal transformer.

Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

phil99

Guru

Posted: 02:50am 23 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I haven't seen this done before so wondering why

Similar concept here, last bit of last sentence.
  Quote  .../ or not putting the cores around all the turns

https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=15417&PID=197159#197159#197159

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 02:54am 23 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great thanks.
I remember that one now.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 06:46am 23 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Aaron you may already be aware of this. but I'll put it out there in any case.

I would make sure to leave a clear air path through the Main toriod core, also allow for some air flow around the outer core in the design, as you may end up limiting the continuous running power of the inverter if you don't.

And of course, I just know someone is going to jump on me for trying to simplify that.

So YES, of course I know the final constant running power capability of an inverter is not calculated on something as simple as just the toriod running temperature.

However, it's now relatively simple to build a High power inverter with respect to power stage design, choke design and correct cable layout and toriod winding.

I assume anyone building an inverter from information on this forum has done that, or is on there way to doing that like yourself.

So IMHO I would not want to be limited by temperature buildup inside the inverter case, and a big Toriod core is basically a huge "heat bank", especially in 40 plus deg temperatures.

The Toriod transformer is without a doubt the main heat generator inside a "correctly" built inverter.

The only Fans I have in the inverter are solely dedicated to keeping the Toriod windings and CORE cool, even in 43 deg HOT Humid temperatures, and even when running at high power for extended periods in those conditions.

In my inverter, nothing else gets hot or needs forced cooling.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

-dex-

Posted: 08:31am 23 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In my country we have some of these blue cores available, but the prices are also high. There are also Sendust E-cores available from Micrometals at reasonable prices, I will describe this later in my topic.
Edited 2024-02-23 18:36 by -dex-

Page 8 of 8    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024