Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:16 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Small charger - big battery-Any problems?

domwild
Guru

Posted: 06:39am 20 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My charger (a gift) is only 2500 mA or 2.5 A. The battery claims to be a 600 CCA or cold-cranking Amps type. This might be 60 or more Amp hours. It is a battery used for a 2.25 litre Landrover Diesel Series 3 and also for a 2.5 l Mitsubishi diesel van.
After this charger did not work any more it was discovered that the thermal overload had opened permanently on the charger. This was fixed.

The question is: Is this dangerous to charge a large battery with a small charger or can I just leave it on longer to compensate as it will only trickle??

Another question: My tractor battery for a 65 HP Fiat 650 tractor (diesel) is probably twice as large as the battery mentioned above and the Amphours are not known for it. Any idea what sort of a charger (in Amps) I would need to buy to charge the battery as the tractor is not being used for up to one month at a time??

Reverse problem: With a larger charger for the larger battery of the tractor can I use it with a smaller battery or will I damage the battery?

Thanks.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

sPuDd

Posted: 12:16pm 20 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dom,

I boiled a 100ah 800CCA euro batt almost dry with
a 1amp charger. Was connected for about a week.
It survived after I watered it, (took 2.5 litres) but its
capacity is down by at least 50% now.

The charger would try to raise the batt voltage to about
15V before turning off, but as it could not overcome the
massive battery, it just continued to boil it dry.

Lesson learned. Now I use multi stage intelligent chargers
and monitor them closely.

Judd..
It should work ...in theory

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024