Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:20 23 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : photocell

Guests

Posted: 10:07pm 24 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry folks that I wasn't clear enough on my last post.  My 12v garden lights are set to go. What I can't find is a photocell to turn the lights on and off.  I figured these things would be cheap.  I bought one at Home Depot for a few bucks but it doesn't work.  The package doesn't say it, but I think it is for 110v.  I didn't realize one for a 12v 3 w system would be so hard to find. 

I even looked at automotive sites. Didn't old Caddies have a photocell to turn on the headlights.

Radio shack doesn't list one one line, nor does any other company I've found.

Thanks again.

Ken

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:00pm 24 Feb 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah, I know exactly what you want. OK, first up, have you any expierence in electronics or putting together circuit boards?

To do what you want you could use a tiny solar cell, say from a dead solar powered calculator, or a LDR ( Light Dependant Resistor ). But you will need to put together a circuit using a comparator, like a 741 op amp or a NE555 timer chip. The chip will compare the value from the LDR or solar cell, to a fixed value ( a resistor or trimpot ). When it gets dark, the chip will drive a small relay or transistor to switch on the lights.

Another way is to buy a cheap solar garden light. These  have a solar cell to charge a couple of nicad batteries, and a small circuit with a couple of transistors to switch on the LEN light when it gets dark. You could modify this circuit to drive a small power transistor or MOSFET, and use this to drive your lights.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024