Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:30 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Converting regular alternator to 48 volts

Page 1 of 3    
BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 01:40am 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would like to put an extra alternator on my bus to help charge my battery Bank while I'm driving down the road

The bus is going to be all 110 volt electric

so going down the road I will still need to use my air conditioning so the alternator would offset any insufficiency of the solar panels hopfullly

I'm still new to solar and don't know what 3000 watts worth of solar will do for a bus

I will have more solar when I get to where I'm going and get set up

going down the road I will only have a little over 3000 Watts

So that's what I'll be using the alternator for but I'm hoping to be able to modify a regular alternator run 48 volts instead of 12 volts

I've heard this was possible I figured you guys on here would know the best way to do it
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 02:52am 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are a few ideas floating around, but I couldn't find anyone that actually did it successfully.

You can buy them new. Ebay Aus has a few, I'm sure USA will have a bigger selection.

3000w of panels is a lot for a bus.

You need to look at what appliances you plan to use in it, heating, cooling, cooking, hot water, refrigeration are the main culprits for energy consumption.

If you can use gas for cooking and hot water that will take the pressure off your system.
Edited 2019-08-05 14:30 by renewableMark
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

johnmc

Posted: 04:31am 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Car alternators are inefficient .
To increase the voltage on a alternator for example 12v to 48 volt
requires 4 times as many lines of magnetic force to be cut so .

This requires 4 times as many turns on the stator which will give you 4 times the voltage and 1/4 the current ie same power.

The speed of the alternator is limited by centrifugal forces about 7000 to 12000
Rpm depending on the rotor dia, so it is not possible to increase the revs by a factor of 4.

Also heat generation by the alternator also becomes a limiting factor outside the designed power of the alternator.

Their is some 48v alternator in very late model cars, but I have not seen any.
Cheers john
johnmc

kentfielddude

Posted: 06:43am 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

you could buy a cheap generator or second hand generator.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 06:54am 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a generator Onan generator I just thought it'd be nice to have a 48 volt alternator hook to my Detroit Diesel so it could just run off it

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 07:03am 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I need something that the RPMs could change still output electricity

I could rectify it and then send it through a mppt charge controller I just want something that's heavy duty reliable

I have a large 3 phase industrial motor that I epoxied magnets to the rotor after I turned it down

It works surprisingly good but I'm afraid of the magnets coming loose

Might be better just to run a generator

Thought I would bring the subject up to see if any of you guys have done anything like this before or have some really good ideas

If I could find a reasonable priced 48v alternator would be the best thing

I'm mainly worried about the air conditioning while I'm driving down the road

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 07:14am 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For what it is worth, I run a 12V alternator at 42V for charging 36V batteries supplying 36V 1000W motors used intermittently.

The alternator had an external regulator so I just designed one to up the volts a tad (well 3 times).

The field supply still runs from a 12V system though to simplify things. (You don't want more than ~12V across the field coil & using a dropping resistor would waste a lot of power & you would need somewhere to put it).

As mentioned above, you need lots of revs. My original set up had plenty of them & I got heaps of current although it wasn't used continuously. I now have a different setup with lower revs & not as much current but enough for the job.

Taking an alternator up to 56V or so, may be stretching the friendship a bit so to speak.

You may be better starting with a 24V truck/bus alternator if you want to go down that path.
ChopperP

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:02am 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Most 12v alternators begin to charge at around 2,000 alternator rpm with full field excitation.

The alternator pulley step up ratio from the crankshaft on most vehicles is typically about 3:1 to 4:1 which makes the alternator warning light go out at around 500 rpm to 670 crankshaft rpm.

With those kinds of pulley ratio, if the engine peaks at 5,000 rpm, the alternator will be going x3 to x4 times that speed or 15,000 rpm to 20,000 rpm quite safely.

If you want to start charging at 48v you will need a MINIMUM alternator rpm of 8,000 rpm which is fine.

The trouble will be when you drive your bus on the road. It will probably over speed your alternator.
Lots of alternator rpm works well with a stationary engine, and a really big pulley speed step up. But the same trick is not really practical to do on a road going vehicle.
Cheers,  Tony.

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 09:14am 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have you thought about using a boost converter 12v to 48v .. limited current (1 - 2 kw with plenty of cooling). Keeping everything stock on bus, and very controllable...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F383054630841

Something like this. ...
I think it works !!

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 04:48pm 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is exactly what I was looking for I wanted to get your guys's thoughts

I really appreciate it

I don't want to run something too fast take a chance of a flying apart

12 to 48 volt boost converter may work

Cheapest 48 volt alternator I can find is $800

That's just not an option for me

What do you guys think about rewinding a alternator

Maybe find the very biggest Industrial heaviest alternator and Rewind it

Thank you guys for your thoughts

kentfielddude

Posted: 08:56pm 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

what about a 48v permanent magnet motor?

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:53pm 05 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is another very different way to go about all this, using a standard 14v alternator running at normal speed.

Just use three transformers that each provide an approximate 4:1 overall voltage step up ratio, and rectify the output from that.

The disadvantage is that the power increase you can get by increasing the alternator rpm does not then apply. If its a 75 amp alternator you are only going to get roughly 75 x 14v = 1Kw.

Its going to be a lot easier to do it that way than to rewind the alternator.
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 04:37am 06 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

48V alternators can be had affordably.

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/48v-alternator.html

I'd get at least 2 so you had a spare.

Why go 48V though? The bus electrical system is likley to be 24, there are plenty mppt controllers that will take 30V panels down to 24 and lots of 24V inverters.
Finding high output 24V alternators will also be a lot easier and cheaper than 48V.

Car/ truck alternators are Very efficient, they use the same claw pole design as power station alternators. What is very inefficient is the Regulators. There are a number of staged/ stepped regulators out their like Balmars and others that allow a lot more control and far greater charging efficiency than the built in regs. They allow one to get a lot more power out of the same alternator than what would happen with the built in reg. They are reasonably priced and widely used on boats and RV's.

http://www.balmar.net/multi-stage-regulators/

Why do you want to run electric air con when driving down the road? Much easier and far more efficient to just put a compressor on the engine and run AC Direct.
There would be heaps of systems you could buy used for a bus/ coach and just fit to your own.

3Kw of solar sounds a lot for a bus but it's only 12 250W panels so should be doable depending on what else you put on top. You won't often get anything near 3 KW out of them so I think the more you can stack up there the better.

I think keeping to 24V on a vehicle would be a lot better, easier, cheaper and more repairable than 48V. I take it you will be travelling with this so having a conventional alternator screaming away to make 48V or a rewound one of unknown longevity to me sounds like bit of a gamble.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 04:43am 06 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So before the diodes there is AC so take that AC and run it through a Transformer???

I am liking the sound of this
this is sounding like a really good solution

regular cheap alternator get a thousand extra watts

Not exactly sure how to do it though

Do you care to explain a little bit more

I really appreciate your wisdom and time

Ironmaiden

Posted: 03:51pm 07 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are small AC generators for mounting on Fire Trucks and the like. They are usually about 3500 watts. The frequency varies unless you also buy the special voltage regulator. Or use a hand throttle when the bus is stationary to set the RPM to hold 60HZ. These units are very overpriced IMHO. However, They do show up on Govt auction sites sometimes for cheap. Fabco Gen

The AC coming from a regular alternator varies from 200HZ to 400HZ. I've used a car alternator to generate 110v DC and 400HZ AC powered from an old Briggs engine. There are some converter boxes that allow you get 110v DC from a car alternator. I've got three of the vintage contraptions. They are nothing more than a 3 pole double throw switch, an indicator light, and a circuit breaker. (I've seen them with screw in fuses). The DC coming out has a very high ripple current. I can power anything like brushed motors, incandescent lights, and heating elements up to 746 watts. Some of the big alternators like the Leece Neville types can do up to 3000 watts.

A good book on using alternators is (Alternator Secrets by Lindsay Publications) It's available on the web if you do a Google Search.

If it was me, I'd look at having a Onan RV generator or similar pancake diesel generator slung under the frame of the bus. Isn't there some compartments under the bus?

Robert
Edited 2019-08-08 02:02 by Ironmaiden

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 07:01pm 07 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes there is giant compartments underneath there
so big I could put a washer and dryer in them

I have an Onan generator also have a second exhaust that goes all the way from the generator Bay to the back of the bus

Problem is I don't want to ever run a generator so I have used the generator Bay for my battery Bank

I took out the big giant stainless steel fuel tank for the generator and have redone that compartment and installed my batteries in it

Between the fuel tank and the generator you're probably looking at well over a thousand pounds and took up all kinds of space

I have a small power washer (without pump) that I will be putting some kind of generator on also I want a backup for my backup

on the back of the 6 V 92 supercharged and turbocharged Detroit Diesel there is a big spot on the right where in the Greyhound versions of this have a big air conditioner pump

there's already another belt space that would be used for the air conditioner pump on the same pulley as the hydraulic pump that goes to the hydraulic motor for the big radiator fan

So there is a big space there just begging to be used for a second alternator for the battery Bank

When I'm sitting still I'll be able to put my awning out and have another 2 to 3000 watts of solar and this will not be needed

When driving down the road I'm only going to have a little over 3000 watts of solar and I'm not sure if this will be enough to keep the air conditioning going in the bus without depleting my battery Bank

So even a thousand Watts alternator wood probably give me that extra little bit of wattage I need to run air conditioning going down the road

Sorry so long I will get a few pictures today when I go down to the bus pictures might describe it better then I can

kentfielddude

Posted: 07:42pm 07 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

what bus do you have?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1450-WATT-PMA-48V-4-ENGINE-USE-Permanent-Magnet-Alternator-Generator-PC1248DC/232775180731?epid=622606519&hash=item36327b61bb:g:Xi0AAOSwAL9UjOdz
Edited 2019-08-08 05:53 by kentfielddude

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 07:53pm 07 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Silver Eagle same thing as a greyhound mine's just the tour bus version

kentfielddude

Posted: 07:54pm 07 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

here is a 48v alternator kinda expensive

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 08:49pm 07 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you for finding that for me

it is a permanent magnet alternator

I'm looking for one that has electromagnet in it so it can regulate itself

Or I might use something like that and send it through a mppt charge controller

Davo99

I have 330watt solar panels 10 will fit on top the bus

can only use 9 of them 3 series connected

and parallel those sets of three gives me around 115 volts to my mppt charge controllers

I will have another set of 9 on my awning

so around 6,000 Watts when parked but only around 3,000 watch when driving down the road

The buses electrical system is 12 volts and I have two very large batteries hooked up to that it will only be used for starting and running the bus

All of the rest of us is 110 volts ac

Thanks to the good people on this form

I have a home built inverter with a 52-pound 5000 continuous watt Transformer the board that's in the inverter can do up to 10000 Watts continuous

The interior of the bus is 100% 110 volt electric

I am Universal HVAC certified and would be no problem for me to put a pump on the motor

I just didn't want to have a whole other system for just going down the road
Edited 2019-08-08 07:27 by BenandAmber

Page 1 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024