Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:35 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Charging caps before turning on inverter

Page 2 of 2    
Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:23am 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Even with a cheapy circular hand saw, a sturdy metal guide, and an ordinary wood cutting carbide blade works. (it will stuff the blade, but they are dirt cheap)

Take your time to set up the saw guide, and clamp it very rigidly.
Do it outside, as there will be a blizzard of aluminium flakes.
And use plenty of blade lubricant such as kerosine or WD40.
Cheers,  Tony.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 09:18am 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I do have a table saw it was made in the 60s and it's the best tool I've ever owned

When I bought it it hadn't been used in years  

Jacob (staregazer) thought I was nuts for paying 200 bucks 4 a big ugly hunk of junk

it took me a week to get everything cleaned up shined up and working

It is a shopsmith and it was made when people took Pride in their work

A wise friend of mine that has then since then passed away told me if I ever had a chance to get one get it

That's why this world's upside down by the way nobody's listening to their elders

we just stuff them in nursing homes like they're useless

We have since then made all of our own trim all the kitchen cabinets for the rentals and saved thousands of dollars

It is a table saw a lathe and a drill press

I appreciate you guys sharing your wisdom
Edited 2019-08-15 19:20 by BenandAmber
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

mattc

Posted: 09:25pm 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

my late father had a shopsmith also,he got it brand new when I was seven yo when on xmass school holidays in Sydney and got it shipped back to town on the goods train as cheap freight back in those days.i kept all the quick change drill chuck/arbours and wood lathe drive chuck/face plate but left the rest as whenever he changed shaft speed on the varidrive the belt would come off time after time.in hindsight I could have used a speed controller to overcome that problem but im more of a metal working guy then using timber to make things with  

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 06:27am 21 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BenandAmber said  

That is a hundred amp breaker that's hooked up to it I hate that you can't hardly get big wire into it they make the lugs so small

Ben I stole this pic off Andrews Latronics inverter.
That's another way to do it. of course it's just for one polarity in this case.

The Latronics have a little plastic holder that links all the actual moving switches together so they all go on at the same time.

Like this

Edited 2019-08-21 16:33 by renewableMark
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

mackoffgrid

Guru

Posted: 07:28am 21 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good catch Mark, I didn't see Ben's question.

I was just muttering to myself this afternoon how much I dislike these breakers.  I wish these large breakers had a screw lug.

Re: the Latronics Breaker:

Because it was low voltage, 24v, they could use AC breakers.  This is a gang of 3 x 60Amp breakers.  I have actually tripped them once when I had two pumps on and one of them seized.

I'm using 2 x 80Amp breakers in my 26v Warpverter and as with the Latronics I'm not breaking the Negative.  So I'll be running 2 x 25mm2 cable for each positive and negative.  

Cheers
Andrew

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:37pm 21 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can actually buy "commoning busbars" to suit standard circuit breaker pitch widths that have a hole for a big lug.

Cheers,  Tony.

mackoffgrid

Guru

Posted: 11:12pm 21 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  You can actually buy "commoning busbars" to suit standard circuit breaker pitch widths that have a hole for a big lug.

I think that is an excellent idea.  

I think I'll try to adopt that in the 100V inverter.

I also like the motorised circuit breakers you showed me once.  Do you know if they can turn on a breaker as well as turn them off?

Cheers
Andrew

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 01:21am 22 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Most circuit breakers can be fitted with an optional trigger pin located in the side that can trip another circuit breaker.
The idea is that you can then couple two, or three circuit breakers together, say for three phase.
If ANY individual breaker trips, it will also trip its neighbors.

The handles are also mechanically linked, but that is only for resetting or manual operation.
The actual electrical tripping action is by the side pin. Kind of like a mouse trap.

Now you can buy something called a "shunt trip" which looks like a circuit breaker but is not.
This shunt trip has an energising coil that operates the trigger pin on the side.

This energising coil will have a rated operating voltage range, and like a relay, the trip coil can be rated for either dc or ac voltage over a wide range.

If you look very carefully at the picture in the link below, you will see that particular shunt trip operates between 12v and 60v (ac or dc)

https://new.abb.com/products/en/2CDS200909R0001/s2c-a1-shunt-trip

They are expensive new, but come up on e-bay very occasionally.
The one I use is rated for 110-130v dc or 220-415v ac.

That is hooked up to a programmable voltmeter, and its the last resort battery isolation protection for extreme under or over voltage if other protective systems all fail.
It works completely independent of anything else.
Cheers,  Tony.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 01:36am 22 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used an "orange" Merlin Gerrin shunt trip with a "green" Schneider two pole DC circuit breaker.
That was a mistake  

Although both circuit breaker and shunt trip are designed to conform to the same European physical standards, and the handles and trip pin aligned, the circuit breakers and shunt trip could not be rigidly joined together.
They sit side by side on a DIN rail, and are sort of held together by the hole in the front panel, but its a bit wobbly and not ideal.
I had to fabricate a crude frame with a couple of very long screws  behind the front panel to clamp the whole mess more rigidly together. It did all work out o/k in the end.

If you buy a shunt trip, its best if its the exact same brand as the circuit breaker and avoid that type of difficulty. Otherwise completely happy with how it works.

When you buy the right shunt trip, it will come with a few small extra parts. There will be pins or clips of some kind to rigidly locate the shunt trip on the side of the breaker.

Oh, almost forgot.

The shunt trip only makes the circuit breaker trip to off.
The handle on the front needs to be mechanically reset back to on, to reload the big spring in the "mouse trap" mechanism.
Edited 2019-08-22 12:12 by Warpspeed
Cheers,  Tony.

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:14am 22 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh, I was looking for the reply button-it is not available now.

Anyhow,

Cables terminated into small terminals---

Solution.    They are called "Bootlace " terminals.  they are available in lots of conductor sizes through manufacturers such as "Thomas and Betts" and many others . If you can get a "RS' catalogue (thats Radio-Spares) you.ll see lots of different styles and sizes listed .

If you work in a big organisation like Telstra or cable and wireless ,Etc . You are required to use them on all equipment.

Bruce
Bushboy

mackoffgrid

Guru

Posted: 06:07am 22 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bruce, I didn't know what they were called but I didn't realise they go up to the large gauge cables.  I have used smaller ones (2.5mm2 wire).

RS and Element14 have them ... eg.,  35mm2 Bootlace Ferrule

And a little read, To Ferrule Or Not To Ferrule?

As I've said I'm not entirely happy with the way I have the stranded wire going straight into the circuit breaker.  I'm inclined to take Tony's idea and fabricate a copper bussbar with a lug hole that fits into the circuit breaker.  I can make this with a 90 degree bend which will suit me.  Barring that I definitely would go the Bootlace Ferrule.

Cheers
Andrew

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 06:44am 22 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Utilux also have a very good range of bootlace ferrules in the larger sizes.
They go from 0.5mm sq up to a MASSIVE 120 mm sq.
These can be bought individually from any good electrical supplier.
In the larger sizes they can be reasonably costly.

Check out the Utilux catalogue, scroll down to page 38 (of 140).

https://www.gvk.com.au/pdf/utiliux.pdf
Cheers,  Tony.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 08:56am 22 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I never knew about that side pin ability.
Had to look at one myself.... yes there is a little port hole that can be turned and removed, inside is the trip mechanism.

You have some good tricks Tony.

Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 10:05pm 25 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tony what volt meter is that and how is it wired to the shunt trip?

Those units are cheap on Ali exp.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024