Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:28 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : GEC reel-to-reel tape deck motor problems...

Page 2 of 2    
SimpleSafeName

Posted: 11:42am 03 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  Your daughter, correct?

If so, keep on encouraging her(like you need me to say!).
Women make great technicians, if they are only given the chance.
I know a couple, and they are really good techs, so it is not just a man's thing anymore.  

Nope, my roommate's daughter. :) Years ago a friend asked if I would rent a room to a young couple (no kids at that time). I gave it some thought and told him that they could live with me for free if they just took care of the house and the yard.

Best decision that I've ever made (that was 16 years ago).

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:41am 05 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahhh, OK.

The new cap has arrived, and I am happy to report that with it fitted, and the other two removed, the motor starts right away, and it now has plenty of torque.  

I cannot stall it with my fingers when it is free-running, whereas I could easily before.  The two speeds are also quite drastically different now, whereas before, the speeds were not that much different.

I now need to reassemble the deck back into its case etc, and run a final functionally test, but I am hopeful that the tapes will now play/rew/ff just fine now.

Thank you for all your posts and continued interest - it was important to me, and your replies basically kept me interested in this repair.  

EDIT: All back together, and the motor now works perfectly.  FF, REW, PLAY - all good.
Only problem now is that there is no sound output.  The VU meter is jumping around in play mode though, so perhaps I have blown speakers or dead output transformers.  This unit has a headphones socket, so I will try this next and see if I can hear anything on the headphones.  The fact that the VU meter is working, suggests that the amplifier must also be working, and it is something else stopping it sound-wise.

EDIT: Headphones work fine, speakers do not.  The investigation continues.
Edited 2019-09-06 12:21 by Grogster
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 11:53am 06 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Excellent! And you're welcome of course! I like this kind of challenge, especially when it starts working again. :)

That's interesting about the headphones working but not the speakers.

I may have to download the schematic after all. :)

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:55am 07 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's no biggie at the moment anyway, as I plan to couple the pre-amp out RCA sockets to a sound-card and copy all the old tapes to computer files, so I won't actually need the speakers to work - for now.

One of the tapes I have been playing, has horse-racing from 1962 on it.  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024