Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:37 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Cheap and easy conformal coating

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:07am 10 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

whenever I use mains power on a PCB (or proto-board) I always remove the copper around the area but I am always wary of the juice just inches from my fingers while I am tweaking things and then when it is finished and working.

Here's a tip I picked up watching a guy build a full-size A10 flight sim cockpit (this is worth a watch to see his entire process for producing excellent front panels). He was doing it for tidiness but I have used the same method here to insulate the back of a load of mains screw terminal and their associated mains wiring.

Get a roll of sticky-back vinyl. Most craft stores will stock it, this roll was £4.50 from the Range here in UK.

Cut a couple of pieces to size, apply each and press down then go over it with a heat gun at about 150C and press down firmly again (I do it in about 1 inch sections), this softens and shrinks the vinyl so the wrinkles all get pulled out and the stuff will conform to any shape. The results of two layers of vinyl really builds your confidence that no-one should get a belt off your no-longer exposed mains terminals.

hth
Edited 2019-09-10 18:51 by CaptainBoing

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 09:58am 10 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is this the kind of stuff you cover books with?
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:25pm 10 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

renewableMark said  Is this the kind of stuff you cover books with?

Possibly. It's adhesive vinyl film. Gathering from where I got it, it could easily be the same stuff as you mention.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024