Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:09 01 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : wind and solar controller

ArcticCat

Posted: 03:42am 24 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Could you experts help this rookie out. I plan on building 6 solar panels roughly 70 watts each for a total around 420 wats. I also will be building a wind generator or two. I still havent decided on the style, other then it will be small, either using a ametek 30vdc motor or an alternator(wind blue system).

So, could you guys suggest a controller or two.

Ken

Gill

Posted: 04:35am 10 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Ken,
Considering the mix of both solar and wind I'd suggest a shunt regulator or a diversion controller as suitable.

I make my own so don't know what's available on the commercial market. Perhaps you could do a search yourself now knowing what specific type to look for.

In brief, a wind regulator will suit both solar and wind whereas a solar regulator will not suit wind.

The regulator must have a capacity greater than the combined max of all the inputs. This will be expressed in Amps. So solar is 420w / 12v = 35Amps + say 2 x wind generators @ 5Amps max each, totals 45 Amps minimum for the regulator.

Hope that helps.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

GWatPE

Posted: 09:19am 10 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Ken,

strictly speaking, what you require is a battery maintenance device. you can use a unit like a plasmatronics PL-?? to do this. As Gill has pointed out a combination of solar and wind can use a diversion load for battery voltage regulation.

A voltage controlled switch with a fixed voltage is not desirable for ensuring a long battery life.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024