Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:09 01 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Power Inverter Plans

ArcticCat

Posted: 03:33am 26 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Anyone have plans for power inverters? Id like to know how to build one.

Ken

oztules

Guru

Posted: 10:38am 26 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What topology are you after, and what sort of power range.
There are plenty of smaller inverters around for less than the price of the box to put them in. Just to get a decent box built will cost more than a 300 watt unit.

.........oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

ArcticCat

Posted: 12:36pm 26 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm looking for 12v inverter plans. As for the resources to build it, I'm not worried about, I just want to know what it takes to build one. This is not a cost savings project.

So, is there any DIY inverter plans floating around?

Thanks,

KenEdited by ArcticCat 2008-07-27

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 02:05pm 26 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

look mate
There one that l found less in two mins on webs site
www.electronics-lab.com 500watts low cost 12volts to 220V inverter by author Ashad Mustifa and there are lot more on unless you try and find on webs site is start looking

Dwyer the bushman

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:22pm 26 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Ken

I've built a couple of low power inverters using parts from my junk pile. Each one was only good for 300 watts max, was very inefficient and took several hours to build. These days you can buy an efficient 300 watt inverter for less than $100.

If you wanted to build a small inverter as a learning expierence, then as Dwyer says, use google to search for "inverter circuit diagram". But remember unless you have a pile of spare parts/junk, and a few free hours, this will cost you more than a bought one from your local electronics shop.

Glenn

PS. Found this, its the link to a kit I used for one of my inverters. I used it to drive the final stage transistors and transformer from a old 600 watt UPS. It worked but maxed out at 300 watts.
linkEdited by Gizmo 2008-07-28
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Dinges

Posted: 11:32am 27 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree with the others, it's hardly economically worthwhile to build a simple inverter yourself when old UPS-es are thrown out by the dozen every day and 'real' (mod. sine) inverters are in the 25-35 E price range.

But, I'll admit I have toyed with the idea in the past too. And it could still be a small, educative and practical project for someone new to the field.

Here's one design I found a while ago. Can't get more quick & dirty than this. Even no need for soldering. I haven't built it but it should work, at least it did for Harry:

http://web.telia.com/~u85920178/power/psu_inverter_01.htm

He claims to have it taken only 15 minutes to wire up.

This is just one example. A few minutes googling should turn up more than you could ever read.
Edited by Dinges 2008-07-28

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024