Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:28 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Fans in parallel....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:55am 27 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello everyone.

I have a thing here , that has two fans wired in parallel, but when powered they both vary their speeds quite noticeably, and the current and voltage dips and peaks all over the place.

If I disconnect them, and run either one just on its own, the fan runs at a constant speed and is perfectly happy.

I suspect it is simply cheap nasty fans used in this Chinese thing, cos I have run fans in parallel before and there has never been an issue.

Can someone suggest what might be going on?
I am thinking there is some kind of electrical noise being generated by one fan, which the second fan is then reacting to, and you have a kind of back-and-forth cascade type effect where one fan's noise upsets the other one and vice-versa.

I have gutted this thing, and am going to totally re-wire it, cos the current consumption is supposed to be about 30A @ 12v, but they have used 10A wire, and while running it DOES work, but the connecting wire gets very hot - not good.  So, I will be rewiring it with the correct gauge wire as one step, and will probably end up replacing the high-velocity fans too, but I am intrigued by the fans behaviour when they are connected together in parallel.  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

davef
Guru

Posted: 06:56am 27 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

30A sounds like a lot of current.  Does each fan have a controller?  Are you running them off battery or a high-current power supply? Have you put a 'scope on the supply?

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 12:55pm 27 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A blocking diode before each fan might help. Have you run it with just the fans and not the heater? It would be interesting to see what happens then.

davef
Guru

Posted: 06:47pm 27 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I should have clicked on the link, forget the high-current comment!

If you are running these things off a battery try a high-value electro across the supply.

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 03:02am 28 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If they were brush motors I could see the potential for that to happen, revs change and fight each other.
The fan motors with the hall sensor (I think) tend to rev up to the airflow available.
I have had 12v fan fly off the table when the step down voltage converter shorted and give the fan 50v....fan survived.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:03am 28 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SimpleSafeName said  A blocking diode before each fan might help. Have you run it with just the fans and not the heater? It would be interesting to see what happens then.

Yes, just fans and no heater, and they go a bit crazy.

Diode on each of the positives, same result.
470uF cap across fan(after diode) and they BOTH settle down and run smoothly then.

Removed diodes, and left the 470uF cap across the fans, and they both run smoothly - and faster then they were going before, so they move air better too.

So, I know now how to fix it, it's just curious why that was happening.  Obviously some kind of noise there upsetting things, cos the cap is obviously filtering that crud out.  I guess I could look on the scope, but I don't think I can be bothered so long as I have something that fixes it.

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 04:52am 28 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmmm, that's interesting. I had wondered if a cap would help but it seemed counter-intuitive. Nice catch. :)

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:43am 28 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I will probably use a 1000uF cap just for good luck.

davef
Guru

Posted: 02:17am 29 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

High frequency energy that a cap filters out but the battery doesn't.  The 'scope should provide the answer.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024