Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:12 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Rotating PIR - 12VDC - Intruder alarm suggestion please!

domwild
Guru

Posted: 11:18pm 03 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

Aliexpess is selling lots of 220VAC (no good!)to 12VDC rotating PIRs for a few Dollars, while the builder wants $400 for one, but connected to an alarm panel. Having been burgled recently I would like to be notified if someone breaks the beam at the gate.

Those PIRs seen to have three wires and I do not expect the Chinese dealer to have a clue how to connect the output of them, not even in Chinglish! Am speculating there is one plus and minus for the 12VDC supply and the third wire with 12VDC output for the break indication?

Cheap system: The "break" output could then be connected to a bell; a siren would upset the Fleabay courier or visitors.  

Dearer system: A 4G Telstra dongle is supplying WiFi 24/7. Wouldn't it be nice to get a Wifi notification on the "break" output? Is there a "box" to interface with the "break" output?  

Any comments to the two systems? Thanks.
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 07:03am 04 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We have used these beam sensors to detect people walking through a gate, driveway. They come as a sender and receiver unit, run off 12v and have a relay with NO,NC contacts. Whenever the IR beam is broken the relay pulls in.Beam Sensor

Range is 3 to 10m outdoors.

There are other ones on AliExpress with bigger dual lenses, that have ranges approx 100M

Cheers
Mike

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:11am 04 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is an explanation of how passive infrared sensors work:
https://learn.adafruit.com/pir-passive-infrared-proximity-motion-sensor/how-pirs-work

There is a bit more to it than just the actual small three wire sensor itself. It requires a high gain two channel amplifier, and some rather carefully chosen time constants.

You don't want to set off an intruder alarm every time the sun comes out from behind a cloud for example.

The better commercial motion sensors combine both a microwave doppler system with passive infrared detection. These cannot be set off by just motion, such as wind blown foliage, or by sudden ambient temperature changes such as passing clouds.

But if the motion sensor detects both occurring together, its very likely an animal or a vehicle.
There is a fair bit of hardware and complexity inside a high quality motion sensor, which is why the really good ones that don't create a bunch of false alarms can be rather expensive.
Cheers,  Tony.

tinyt
Guru

Posted: 02:48pm 05 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Different technology, these are what I use at home.
Door bell with cam
Wyze

Killian45

Posted: 12:00pm 17 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can recommend this securinghome.com alarm system for such purpose. I've purchased it not so long ago and can say it's doing a great job. In my opinion, it's the best option of all, as it has some extra options, such as connection with crime prevention centers or home security advisor services.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024